TEAM 1410: Lions new permanent radio home

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote: 3.) Is there any difference to have your games broadcast on a station with a 10.7 where sports is only a component, versus a station with less than a 1.0 where sports which are secondary in this market surround your product?
Why yes, yes there is.

Having your broadcast reach an audience at 10.7 vastly outweighs reaching one at 4.2, let alone 1.0 (let's be generous here)
So like SammyGreene, you believe there are a significant number of people who become Lions fans because they just happened to be listening to the station already when the game came on? Really?

Audience numbers in this context are valid only to advertisers. Sports games already have their audience. People don't just start following a team because the game came on after some other show they were listening to.
Here is what I know, here in the sticks: when the Lions went to 1040 from NW, people here had one helluva time finding them, even when I explained the move. They finally after a couple of seasons, got the fact that 1040 was the spot. Now I am asked why the football game wasn't on the radio last week on 1040. Sigh.
They have these cool things on radios now: buttons that you can program in your favorite stations. Go to your neighbors' places and program the Lions into preset 1; they'll have no trouble finding it again. If the games change stations again, just reprogram it. Then all they have to know is, push button #1 for the game. Even a VanIsle redneck should be able to handle that.

Most of the radios even have big bright numbers that display the station you're on... makes it reeeeeeaaal easy.
Moving the Lions laterally does NOT help the perception in the market; this anchor tenant thing is like being proclaimed king of the outhouse after you've been banished from the main house.
So you figure, what, people will stop listening/watching/going to the games because of this "perception" that the Lions are second-class citizens? I mean, Lord knows, I only follow teams that everyone else around me "perceives" to be important! That's why I'm a Raptors and Blue Jays fan, because people tell me they're Canada's teams! Er... not.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
So like SammyGreene, you believe there are a significant number of people who become Lions fans because they just happened to be listening to the station already when the game came on? Really?
You don't REALLY think I'm going to debate this with a <gack choke> hockey first dude, do ya? You will never understand that this is a Lions site, not a Canucks one.

Apples and mangos. Ain't gonna happen. Nice try though. :beer:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It's not like this is the first time Lion broadcast rights have moved on the dial. Maybe some CFL radio historian has the chronological order. Many people thought when Team1040 picked up the rights it was a big step backwards and the Lions' radio world was hitting the backdials after about 15 years with 'NW. Prior to that they switched back and forth from NW to, yup 1410 CFUN, to NW. Somewhere along the way CKWX also held the rights. Ironically 1410 was the destination on the radio dial for one of BC's most successful eras. 1410CFUN held the Lions' radio rights from 1983 thru 1988.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:
You wouldn't because the Lions would have remained on the station that draws the 4.2 share, not the soon to be 0.8 share.

This move is fine for the hardcores, but it will not extend the reach of the Lions brand in this market.

Corus has already learned you can't split your format without cannibalizing your numbers. Does anyone remember NW2?
Spoken like the true radio professional I was, once upon a time.

Well summarized.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Soundy wrote:
You don't REALLY think I'm going to debate this with a <gack choke> hockey first dude, do ya? You will never understand that this is a Lions site, not a Canucks one.

Apples and mangos. Ain't gonna happen. Nice try though. :beer:
Way to sidestep the question. I'll take that as a "no" then.
(\__/)
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:It's not like this is the first time Lion broadcast rights have moved on the dial. Maybe some CFL radio historian has the chronological order. Many people thought when Team1040 picked up the rights it was a big step backwards and the Lions' radio world was hitting the backdials after about 15 years with 'NW. Prior to that they switched back and forth from NW to, yup 1410 CFUN, to NW. Somewhere along the way CKWX also held the rights. Ironically 1410 was the destination on the radio dial for one of BC's most successful eras. 1410CFUN held the Lions' radio rights from 1983 thru 1988.
Which just backs up my assertion, people don't BECOME Lions fans because of where the game is on the dial; nor do they STOP being fans because of (the "perception" of) where the game is on the dial. And oddly enough, it would appear the frequency the game is on, DOESN'T actually affect the play on the field either!
(\__/)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

All this bickering about Van's only sports station. Too bad the team haters don't tune in as all afternoon it was all Lions.

I wont mention any news as I read here it didn't really happen.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hey, I like that.

1410 CFUN - All Gardening, All the Time.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:All this bickering about Van's only sports station. Too bad the team haters don't tune in as all afternoon it was all Lions.

I wont mention any news as I read here it didn't really happen.
Yeah, ya haters!

BTW don't forget to tune in in, oh 2017 or so, for the next "All Lions Afternoon"!! :yahoo:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionheart wrote:All this bickering about Van's only sports station. Too bad the team haters don't tune in as all afternoon it was all Lions.
I'm starting too Robert. As is the norm up north Team1040's signal comes in pretty good in the winter so I can actually listen to it on my way to and from work. I can't tune in for long but contrary to what the detractors keep telling me the mix of Lions to Canucks seems split right down the middle. BS has been talking as much of each with a mix of other leagues and sports. When they spit out who their guests will be for the rest of their show again it's a split. What was it yesterday? I think a Canuck followed by Lowell Ullrich, Kelly Hrudey and Geroy Simon. When I climbed into my truck this morning at 6:30 I was listening to a clip from Travis Lulay.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote: Way to sidestep the question. I'll take that as a "no" then.
No sidestep at all.

1 You believe in the Lord our God Nuckies first above all other things.

2 I have no time for the NHL.

3 You can't understand why people think that the Lions should come first on a Lions discussion board.

4 You have your own discussion board to rant about this, yet you come here. Now why would that be? :juggle:

5 You aren't going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.

There is no point in this. None whatsoever.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Soundy wrote: Way to sidestep the question. I'll take that as a "no" then.
No sidestep at all.

1 You believe in the Lord our God Nuckies first above all other things.
Hardly.
2 I have no time for the NHL.
Fine. Nobody says you have to.
3 You can't understand why people think that the Lions should come first on a Lions discussion board.
I understand that fine. What gets me is the absolute silliness that derives from people who seem to have an inferiority complex and want to find a reason to complain about absolutely anything.
4 You have your own discussion board to rant about this, yet you come here.
I'm not the one ranting. There's nothing for me to rant about. I still know where to find BOTH games on the radio. I have no problem tuning one station rather than the other. It's not rocket science. It makes not one whit of difference to me which team is on which station.
Now why would that be? :juggle:
Ummm, maybe because I like BOTH sports? It IS possible, you know... to like multiple sports...and multiple teams.

And because the "official" Canucks forum is even more fraught with loonies than this place.

And seeing as the management of this place has seen fit to provide a forum titled "All Sports", I don't see why YOU should have an issue with others actually wanting to make use of it.
5 You aren't going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours.

There is no point in this. None whatsoever.
You're right about that: there's no point in the constant whining and crying and complaining about this perceived "mistreatment by the media".

And since you're not sidestepping, perhaps you could actually answer the question: "you believe there are a significant number of people who become Lions fans because they just happened to be listening to the station already when the game came on?"
(\__/)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Maybe I can ask a question and answer one at the same time.

As you rightly point out, sports fans aren't monochromatic, many like multiple sports. Now if you are indulging in that passion and can only listen to one station at a time, which station are you going to likely choose? 1040 or 1410? If you answer like most people will, that would be 1040 AM. Since 1040 has become even more Canucks centric, that is going to mean less Lions because CHUM has them on 1410. Advertisers won't be as interested in 1410 as much as 1040 and so how are Lions sponsors gonna feel about buying commercial time on lowly 1410? Probably not so good. Which station is going to reach the broader market, 1040 or 1410? Yep, 1040. Do I think that this will do the Lions in, nope but it sure doesn't help them secure their current market share or help them to increase it. It certainly gives the impression that they aren't important enough to warrant broadcast on 1040 whereas 1040 is still the "Home of the Seahawks". It sends a message that the Lions and the CFL aren't worthy of broadcast on the main sports station in this city. Invariably some people will choose to listen to that message and treat the whole CFL product with greater disdain.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Maybe I can ask a question and answer one at the same time.

As you rightly point out, sports fans aren't monochromatic, many like multiple sports. Now if you are indulging in that passion and can only listen to one station at a time, which station are you going to likely choose? 1040 or 1410? If you answer like most people will, that would be 1040 AM. Since 1040 has become even more Canucks centric, that is going to mean less Lions because CHUM has them on 1410.
Waittasec though... are you talking about gametime, or just regular chatter?

The rare times that games overlap, people are going to listen to whichever game they prefer, regardless of which station it's on. Personally, I'll usually start with whatever game is on first, and if it's a good game and got my attention, I'll flip to the other one on commercial breaks, and then back. If it's boring or "our guys" are getting trounced, I'll probably flip to the other and just stay there. Doesn't really matter which game is which, or on which station: the more interesting/exciting of the two is the one that gets most of my airtime.

As for "other" times... why does any of this mean 1040 would be "more Canucks centric"? If, as has been claimed, 1410 carries mainly prerecorded, syndicated material, why would that have ANY effect on the Canucks/Lions/Whitecaps/other split on 1040? From Hambone and Lionheart's anecdotal statements above, it sounds like there's a pretty even split most days, so it's not particularly "Canuck centric" NOW (pre- and post-game shows really don't count; of course there's more Canuck gameday coverage, because there are three times as many games in a season!)
Advertisers won't be as interested in 1410 as much as 1040 and so how are Lions sponsors gonna feel about buying commercial time on lowly 1410? Probably not so good.
For non-game slots, no, probably not. DURING the games, why should it make any difference? A move up the dial should have little if any effect on the actual number of people WHO TUNE IN FOR THE GAME (except for Solar Max's friends who apparently have trouble tuning their radios). The only thing that should cause any kind of statistical dent would be overlapping Canucks/Lions games, and that dent would be the same regardless of which team is on which station... because regardless of where it is on the dial, people will tune in whichever game they prefer.
Which station is going to reach the broader market, 1040 or 1410? Yep, 1040. Do I think that this will do the Lions in, nope but it sure doesn't help them secure their current market share or help them to increase it.
Again I ask, how does the location on the dial have ANY effect on the team's market share? People who want to listen to the game will listen to it regardless of what frequency it's on; people who don't will either turn off the radio or change the station.

As for the advertisers, perhaps it would be prudent to find out what deals are being offered them by the TEAM /CHUM before making any judgments. For example, if I'm an advertiser looking to hit the Lions market and wanting my ads run DURING THE GAME, I'd make sure the contract said simply my ads would be playing IN THE LIONS GAME... not that they were restricted to one frequency or the other. Remember, this isn't two different companies we're dealing with - it's one company with two soapboxes. All I'd care about as an advertiser is that my message goes out from the appropriate one at the time. If they ran my ad aimed at Lions fans on 1040, while the game is on 1410, THEN I'd be royally pissed, because while the other station may have a larger AVERAGE share, I still want my ads on the station that has MY target market.
(\__/)