Mr. Wally Buono

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:How soon we all forget the Adam Rita era.

This was a deeply disappointing season, but we were still 8-10. Toronto, where former Lion boss Adam Rita is now the football guru, is a shining 3-14 for the second season in a row. Wally Buono is still in the prime of his career, and he knows how to build winning organizations. He is the CFL`s winningest coach for a reason, and has delivered to this city the best stretch of seasons since, well, the second winningest head coach in CFL history was in town.

More to the point, Wally has also proven in the past that he has no difficulty parting ways with players and coaches who are underperforming. I think we have to let Wally have an opportunity to fix this. If we checked in with three straight brutal seasons, THEN I can see hitting the panic button.

Final point - that whole kick-the-coach-upstairs-and-bring-in-a-new-guy trick doesn`t always work well historically...
This is the first post in two days that I can support. Teams go in cycles, but those with stable, proven leadership bounce back faster. Wally went through the same thing in Calgary, where he had eight first-place finishes in 13 years before leaving after missing the playoffs for the first time. In B.C., he had four first-place finishes and five straight appearances in the West Final before this year.

We can easily fault players and coaches for the Lions' disappointing finish, but the main reason the team underperformed is that its first four quarterbacks were all injured. Despite that unprecedented run of bad luck and that fact that all three West Division opponents have had the same quarterback all year, the Lions still had a shot at first place in going into Week 17. One sub-.500 season doesn't make Wally a bad coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:

More to the point, Wally has also proven in the past that he has no difficulty parting ways with players and coaches who are underperforming.
The only two coaches that was purged by Wally while in BC was Jamie Baresi and Steve Burratto
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Those calling for change, and those calling for status quo, and those calling for changes in the ranks of the assistants, can look back farther than just this year in making their judgments.

Wally Buono has given the Lions 7 years of unmatched stability and quality in the team's history. It has been far from per-fect. Underachievement considering the talent assembled by Buono? I would say so. One championship in 7 years. In a league of just 8 teams that is not much to brag about.

I could happy with Wally running the show, with some provisos:

* When a team quits, or mails it in, that is unacceptable. That is tantamount to a team that has tuned out the message of the coaching staff.

* Some fans and coaches prefer the conservative philosophy. Fair enough. But I would be more in agreement with Wally if he at least used all the strategies available at some time in the course of a season. We do not vary things, or use innovation or subtlety. We stay with a dysfunctional short yardage "scheme" and goal line "scheme" long past the time when it became a concern (vs the Alouettes some eons ago).

* IMO the quality of coaching in the CFL has risen due to the input of Hufnagel and Trestman. If we stay status quo, it may well get worse for us next year. I think most of us would agree that Wally likes to stay with those schemes that are comfortable for him. I will go a bit further and surmise (after observing for 7 years) that he does not like change. That he values execution much higher than the scheme itself. That he is not an X and O's guy. (That Trestman and Hufnagel are very much X and O's guys). That Wally has assistants who coach in his image. That they deliver what he wants philosophically. That things will not likely change as long as Wally runs the show.

* If Wally would bring in assistants who have resumes of great success, who thereby have some independence, who use all the strategies available, including some very aggressive, innovative schemes, then I could be content to stay with Wally's unsupervised leadership.

* But I expect it wiil stay status quo. And I expect the results will continue to be greatly disappointing, if not get worse. The book is out on how to attack the Lions' offence and defence. We have seen how well prepared teams are for us. And we have seen, IMO our team out-coached time and time again.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

There seems to be a constant train of thought here that if Pasquale were to remove himself of the HC position that the new guy would come from within. This has been repeated so often it's deemed as a known fact now. What I'm wondering is where does this idea come from? Is it just a thought, and idea or were statements once made.

Is there any historical evidence that can support this in all his years as a GM? I about Benevides' promotion from ST to DC but is there more?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: We can easily fault players and coaches for the Lions' disappointing finish, but the main reason the team underperformed is that its first four quarterbacks were all injured. Despite that unprecedented run of bad luck .
Was it really just bad luck? Or were systems not in place to protect them or keep them from taking such risks?

It does seem awfully coincidental no?
Blitz
Team Captain

Certainly our Leos schemes are coming more and more under the spotlight. Lowell Ullrich talked about the Leos scheme after the Edmonton loss.

We're being outcoached and that's no secret across the league.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

I don't see a problem with luring one of the smartest, if not the smartest quarterback to ever grace a football field to come back to B.C. in some sort of offensive coaching capacity... C'mon back Dave.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
Bosco
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:There seems to be a constant train of thought here that if Pasquale were to remove himself of the HC position that the new guy would come from within. This has been repeated so often it's deemed as a known fact now. What I'm wondering is where does this idea come from? Is it just a thought, and idea or were statements once made.

Is there any historical evidence that can support this in all his years as a GM? I about Benevides' promotion from ST to DC but is there more?
IMO, that thought comes from the virtual undying loyality showed towards his coaching staff. If there was a revolving door of coaches each season, it would be easy to think that an "ousider" could easily his replacement, but that that probably won't happen as long as loyal foot soldiers like Chaps, Dorazio, Benevides, etc are on the scene.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Those calling for change, and those calling for status quo, and those calling for changes in the ranks of the assistants, can look back farther than just this year in making their judgments.

Wally Buono has given the Lions 7 years of unmatched stability and quality in the team's history. It has been far from per-fect. Underachievement considering the talent assembled by Buono? I would say so. One championship in 7 years. In a league of just 8 teams that is not much to brag about.

I could happy with Wally running the show, with some provisos:

* When a team quits, or mails it in, that is unacceptable. That is tantamount to a team that has tuned out the message of the coaching staff.

* Some fans and coaches prefer the conservative philosophy. Fair enough. But I would be more in agreement with Wally if he at least used all the strategies available at some time in the course of a season. We do not vary things, or use innovation or subtlety. We stay with a dysfunctional short yardage "scheme" and goal line "scheme" long past the time when it became a concern (vs the Alouettes some eons ago).

* IMO the quality of coaching in the CFL has risen due to the input of Hufnagel and Trestman. If we stay status quo, it may well get worse for us next year. I think most of us would agree that Wally likes to stay with those schemes that are comfortable for him. I will go a bit further and surmise (after observing for 7 years) that he does not like change. That he values execution much higher than the scheme itself. That he is not an X and O's guy. (That Trestman and Hufnagel are very much X and O's guys). That Wally has assistants who coach in his image. That they deliver what he wants philosophically. That things will not likely change as long as Wally runs the show.

* If Wally would bring in assistants who have resumes of great success, who thereby have some independence, who use all the strategies available, including some very aggressive, innovative schemes, then I could be content to stay with Wally's unsupervised leadership.

* But I expect it wiil stay status quo. And I expect the results will continue to be greatly disappointing, if not get worse. The book is out on how to attack the Lions' offence and defence. We have seen how well prepared teams are for us. And we have seen, IMO our team out-coached time and time again.

It's no good Joe you can hit these guys over the head with facts until the cows come home, but they are wearing Wally blinders and that is just how they want to stay.

They say just one more season and they will have had enough but that's not how they will spin it at the end of next season, because like Wally they do not like change...they fear life after Wally Buono because they have no reference of better times to compare it to, other than the Adam Rita era...ohhh it was so scary then.

IIRC Steve Buratto won a Grey Cup during that era (just like Lord Buono in his seven years here) and it's a good bet he might have won a couple more if he had been afforded the chance like Wally got.

But never mind Joe their little world should fall apart if Wally ever left with his play-not-to-lose predictable tendencies, and vanilla philosophy which has so long since been hungrily gobbled up like the cannon fodder it has been reduced to, by leading-edge innovative defenses and offenses around the league. God knows they want us to keep Buono right here in BC too, so as we will always be their *beeotch*!

God help the hue and cry if Pasquale should decide to hang them up of his own volition... the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, the like of which could very well shake the foundation of the rock of ages, and the woe of his disciples and followers might well be heard league wide. :tp:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

This thread was funnier when it was called Mr. Walter Buono. :/
Lionut
Hall of Famer

I did not see a "leading edge innovative" offense on the field for the Eskimos last night. I saw a team running simple inside zone runs at us all night, and eating us alive. That is pure personnel, gang - that is not coaching. When you know what is coming, and can't stop it, it is not a scheme issue. We simply were not good enough in our front seven, and got exposed time and again this season for it. The loss of Cam Wake, and the clock striking midnight on the career of Brent Johnson, were crippling to us.

Oh, and Steve Buratto and Richard Harris might disagree with the notion that only two assistants have been gassed in the Buono era.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
cromartie
Hall of Famer

IIRC Steve Buratto won a Grey Cup during that era (just like Lord Buono in his seven years here) and it's a good bet he might have won a couple more if he had been afforded the chance like Wally got.
Neagtive. Buratto is a terrific offensive coordinator who should remain a terrific offensive coordinator. He is not Head Coaching material. He is a guy who takes what he's given and makes the best of it. a GREAT trait for a coordinator (and you should wish the current people in those roles had that trait), but a poor trait for a Head Coach.

Agree....like Burratto as an offensive coordinator...but not as a HC.
bclions16
Champion

Lions4ever wrote:This thread was funnier when it was called Mr. Walter Buono. :/
I agree. But whatever, any and all problems I am blaming on Walter. DAMN YOU WALTER!!!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Bobbyp
Champion

korey&dante4ever wrote:I don't see a problem with luring one of the smartest, if not the smartest quarterback to ever grace a football field to come back to B.C. in some sort of offensive coaching capacity... C'mon back Dave.
Or Matt although he might not want to give up his cooking show.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED