Brent Johnson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:Sadly, your type is very confused and unable to comprehend the difference between opinion and "reality" - not to worry though, it's fairly common on the various football opinion boards.

Try sticking to actually watching football players play the game on the field and making comments based on that, instead of living in a pre-conceived notion, theoretical football "reality" that some expert sold you on.
Wow. Could you have been any more condescending?
Medicine for a guy who condescendingly totally writes off a player's ability to play in the CFL when he's never seen the guy play? Sorry bout that, but commentators who tout "reality" or "facts" with no basis for it sorta bug me; lotsa varied opinions I'm fine with, but people who confuse fact/reality with things that are clearly a matter of opinion, is another matter.
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Area51 wrote:This is what's so frustrating about Wally & Bonevides - - how they continue to stick with aging and ineffective favourites.
JC82, DD and a whole list of others would beg to disagree.

Believe me, if WB believes Brent isn't carrying his weight, he'll be on the next plane out of Vancouver.
I agree. I think in the off-season there will be more purging like we saw this year. On that list I would expect to see Buck Pierce, Brent Johnson, Jason Jiminez, and possibly even Jarious Jackson if Lulay wins the backup job in camp (which he very well could).
Geez, Pauser, you were writing some great posts and then you go beating up on Jarious a bit again. As much as I agree and have always agreed with you regarding Printers abilities and you have been more than passionate about supporting him, even in his darkest days, you also tend to be overpassionate about not liking Jarious.

Jarious will be an excellent backup quarterback for us next season until Lulay develops a little more. Jarious will be willing to back up, is considered a leader by his teammates and Wally still sees his abilities. It will be Printers, Jarious, and Lulay next year..and I'll bet you a beer on it.

I agree with you that Buck will likely be gone next season. He packs a $300,000 salary and would be less willing to be a backup. Next season we could go with Printers at $100,000, Jarious at $150,000 and Lulay probably signed for peanuts at around $60,000. We got a steal in Printers again...he played for $60,000 a season in 2004 and 2005. Brent Johnson will likely be back next season as a backup..mostly because he's a Canadian although Wally could force him to renegotiate his contract and reduce it. I just wish McKay-Loescher didn't have his back problem...he is much better than Johnson and a Canadian too. We get such an advantage with two Canadian defensive ends but we may have to bite the bullet next year and play an import there.

Jiminez is solid enough at right tackle to keep his job. The best offensive lineman we have right now, by far is Sherko. I think we saw the future last night in Valli at center (he'll be a solid center in the future and I was impressed with Sorenson at left guard fo rhis first game..he wil be very good one day.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Blitz, your analysis of how the QB depth chart will shape up next year is spot on. Buck will find his way to a place whose offensive schemes won't get him killed. Maybe Toronto as Kerry Joseph's replacement, or Edmonton or Montreal as heir apparent. Maybe Zac could join the carousel in Winnipeg.

Jarious isn't going to mind getting $150K as backup, if you look in the dictionary under Team Guy (TM) you'll see a picture of him.

But how long is Casey, even the Casey who's been reborn as a Team Guy (TM), going to be satisfied with $100K and being backed up by a guy who's making half again as much as him?
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Coast Mountain Lion wrote: Buck will find his way to a place whose offensive schemes won't get him killed.
Buck in Montreal working with Marc Trestman? Jesus H, that thought scares the bejesus out of me.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote: Buck will find his way to a place whose offensive schemes won't get him killed.
Buck in Montreal working with Marc Trestman? Jesus H, that thought scares the bejesus out of me.
True. Buck could be a great fit with Trestman. Calvillo with more mobiity, if Buck develops Calvillo's ability to read the D and release quick.

Just for Buck's sake, I would like to see it.
Area51
All Star

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Medicine for a guy who condescendingly totally writes off a player's ability to play in the CFL when he's never seen the guy play? Sorry bout that, but commentators who tout "reality" or "facts" with no basis for it sorta bug me; lotsa varied opinions I'm fine with, but people who confuse fact/reality with things that are clearly a matter of opinion, is another matter.

You're suggesting McQuaig should be given an opportunity to play at DE - - based on what? What was your basis? Your claim that he "was a top notch all-star play-maker/pass-rusher DE in college ball"? That's a direct quote from you. And it's completely senseless. You can't even try to project CIS performance into the CFL. If you could, Tommy Denison would be a CFL all star, And so would Troy Cunningham and Chris Sutherland.

Guys can lack size/strength/speed and be stars in the CIS. But you'd better have at least two out of three to play in the CFL - - end even that's no guarantee of success.

McQuaig would have been destroyed if he lined up at end. That was reality, regardless of how much you wanted to see me proven wrong.

Reality is he goes in at 225. That's also fact. Reality is he doesn't have enough strength to play DE. Fact is he could only manage 12 reps this spring. So would you say my "opinion" is based on enough "facts" and "realities"?

And now McQuaig gets cut. Do you honestly think he could have survived at DE when the braintrust doesn't even think he's good enough as a 3rd string back up? Well?
Rammer
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:

You're suggesting McQuaig should be given an opportunity to play at DE - - based on what? What was your basis? Your claim that he "was a top notch all-star play-maker/pass-rusher DE in college ball"? That's a direct quote from you. And it's completely senseless. You can't even try to project CIS performance into the CFL. If you could, Tommy Denison would be a CFL all star, And so would Troy Cunningham and Chris Sutherland.

Guys can lack size/strength/speed and be stars in the CIS. But you'd better have at least two out of three to play in the CFL - - end even that's no guarantee of success.

McQuaig would have been destroyed if he lined up at end. That was reality, regardless of how much you wanted to see me proven wrong.

Reality is he goes in at 225. That's also fact. Reality is he doesn't have enough strength to play DE. Fact is he could only manage 12 reps this spring. So would you say my "opinion" is based on enough "facts" and "realities"?

And now McQuaig gets cut. Do you honestly think he could have survived at DE when the braintrust doesn't even think he's good enough as a 3rd string back up? Well?
Please don't place logic and Canadian CFL player into context for OV, it simply doesn't apply. He relies upon the 1% quality of the CIS to base his arguments upon.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionut
Hall of Famer

On that critical run by Reynolds that sealed our doom, Johnson was completely eaten up by the Calgary tackle - Christ, he didn't even try to get off the block. Lack of intensity, and a lack of production - deadly combination for any athlete. If you want to know why this team is struggling, the complete disappearance of a key veteran like Johnson is a big part of the reason.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:On that critical run by Reynolds that sealed our doom, Johnson was completely eaten up by the Calgary tackle - Christ, he didn't even try to get off the block. Lack of intensity, and a lack of production - deadly combination for any athlete. If you want to know why this team is struggling, the complete disappearance of a key veteran like Johnson is a big part of the reason.
Agreed. he is either hurt or has read the writing on Wally's office wall. Brent, say hello to Eric Carter, Jason Clermont, Carl Kidd etcetcetc.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Area51 wrote:

Please don't place logic and Canadian CFL player into context for OV, it simply doesn't apply. He relies upon the 1% quality of the CIS to base his arguments upon.

:roar: :roar: :roar: :roar: So true.
Champion

Area51 wrote:

Yep - you stick to your version of "reality" chum, and spinning everything to hype your hero or relative or whoever he is to you, while cutting down pretty well everybody else in comparison - didn't like Gary "Bouno" cause he might have played a few downs instead of your hero? Every single other player out of CIS ball doesn't "meausure" up to your hero?

And here i wuz daring to think that players who were all-stars or dominant stat leaders in college ball might have some sort of shot at playing in the pros - sorry bout that, I stand corrected by an expert like you because there are just no such examples of this happening - probably every single football player in the CFL now had to pass your bench press # or 40 time test to "prove" they were good enough "athletes" to play in the pros - would that be a "fact" chum? :hmm: Could you tell me which 2 out of 3 of size, speed & strength that Fantuz or Rob Bagg possess or demonstrated in football testing to make them top notch receivers in the CFL?; or what about Dan Federkeil - who has started at O-line in the NFL - I'll guarantee a know-it-all like you would have totally and summarily written off his chances to play pro after seeing his CFL Combine measureables - surely you have an answer there budddy - after all it's all a simple matter of fact to an expert like you isn't? - please, give me the details without some lame attempt to wiggle out of it.

May be better though to stick to what you know buddy - sucking up to or hyping your football hero.

The really sad & pathetic aspect of this is that your types honestly believe their pompous opinions are "fact" or "reality" - sorry I can't help you there.
Last edited by OV - 54:40 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Area51 wrote:

Again - stick to what you know buddy - sucking up to or hyping your football hero.

The really sad & pathetic aspect of this is that your types honestly believe their pompous opinions are "fact" or "reality" - sorry I can't help you there.
The reality is the Lions coaching staff didn't think he was good enough. That is the REALITY.
Champion

And another reality is the Esks coaching staff though Mike Pringle wasn't "good enough" for the CFL when he was first in the league and they had him in camp. Another reality would be that Warren Moon or Jeff Garcia were not drafted in the NFL and played years in the CFL first. And another reality would be that Kurt Warner or James Harrison were not drafted in the NFL - i.e. they were ignored by every single NFL team coming out of college ball.

Do you want to continue with more "realities" - do these realities prove lots to you?
Champion

Please don't place logic and Canadian CFL player into context for OV, it simply doesn't apply. He relies upon the 1% quality of the CIS to base his arguments upon.[/quote]

I didn't mention McQuaig's ratio status or birth certificate when i talked about the possibility of him getting playing time; that would be your trip entirely - everything you think or say about a CFL roster possibility or decision has to be couched in "ratio thinking" or "ratio problems" or a pre-determined notion about the player's ability. You can't help it though - that's the way you were learned to think about the CFL and it's been drilled into your head over & over again by media types and team shills that you rely on for your football knowledge.

If you wish to discuss specific players rather than the nebulous or dubious "Canadian CFL player", that might be a bit more interesting than your standard stuff. As far as McQuaig, he hasn't really played more than a bit of STs in the CFL - maybe that was enough for you to write him off; as far as his play in CIS ball, I realize you have no clue about that pitiful inferior level of football, so we won't bother going there. :wink:
MacNews
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote: And here i wuz daring to think that players who were all-stars or dominant stat leaders in college ball might have some sort of shot at playing in the pros .
I have only been following the Lions since 2003, but have quickly learned to discard any CIS stats. Too many times have I gotten excited about a player who 'tore it up' in the CIS, only to have him flame-out in TC and get cut.

I think there is not enough competition to get into the CIS, unlike American college-ball.