The Team 1040 Is Horrible

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

ilovetheriders wrote:The Lions biggest game of the year, the return of Casey Printers, a huge western division rival and they give it a few minutes. I'm a huge Rider fan but also a fan of the CFL and therefore am p----- at their lack of coverage, what a joke.

Ummmm, its Vancouver vs Toronto. Biggest hockey game of the year in Vancouver because of all the supplanted leaf fans. Of course it is going to be drawing huge media coverage. Hockey is bigger than football in canada. Get over it. Its also a home game vs being an away game. Plus the hockey team makes the station about 40 bazillion times more than the the lions or the rest of the CFL do. If Toronto vs Vancouver was played the same day as the CFL western final, in BC place the canucks would still be way more popular. $$ talks.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:In fairness, the Lions get pretty good media coverage in this market in the papers and on TV. In fact, the Province today led its sports with 4 full pages of football coverage for tomorrow's big game with the Riders, plus the entire back cover (Casey Printers).

I can't speak for today on the TEAM because I haven't been listening, but I don't think Vancouver would be any different than any other Canadian city with an NHL team sharing the same radio dial.

DH
I don't have any idea what there is for stations in Regina but Riders' flagship CKRM only has to concern itself with covering one pro sports team and a smattering of amateur teams. ilovetheriders lives in Saskatoon some 260km from Regina. Within 1-1/2 hours of downtown Vancouver there is 1 CFL team, 1 NHL team, 1 AHL team, 2 WHL teams, 1 USL soon to be MLS team, 1 NWBL team and 2 CIS soon to be NCAA Div II schools not to mention the WLA, BCHL and probably some other sports I'm overlooking. Heck the ECHL Victoria Salmon Kings, Seahawks, Mariners, U of W, Everett Silvertips and Seattle Thunderbirds are all closer to Vancouver than Saskatoon is to Regina. Of course there's some little event called the Olympics coming up soon too. Rider fans indeed have a voracious appetite for coverage of their team and are to be commended. However it's much easier to satisfy that appetite when there is little else for the media outlets to cover.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:Ratings and revenue has little to do with the Canadian media's marginalization of the CFL. The fact is most sports directors and editors are big fans of the NHL and NFL, and some probably like the CFL too, but they are convinced that the NFL is the biggest and the bestest and draw little distinction between the American and Canadian sports markets. When they hear about how popular and how terrific the NFL ratings in the U.S, most think that applies to Canada also.
Good thing you said "most" sports directors JH. I can think of one local Vancouver sports director who would take issue with that statement bigtime. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

nelson95 wrote:u can always change the station
You bet , mine's never on 1040 anymore . I understand that Vnacouver is big hockey market ,but i think that misses the point here that rider guy is making . From the point of view of a football fan who is not also a hockey fan , 1040 is a pretty lousy station . If 1040 wanted to capture more football fans in their audience they could probably do so if they had reliable regular time slots that were for Lions stuff only . Years back there was such a show , can't recall which station , but it might have been nw , in which the coach did a one hour segment every , i think it was Monday night . I listened to that all the time . But now as far as i know , you just got to sit and listen to long periods of stuff your not interested in to catch the Lions stuff . And for me ( maybe others as well ) that's not going to happen .
ilovetheriders
Starter

pennw wrote:Would have to agree with ilovetheriders . I don't listen to 1040 due to the fact almost every time I tune them in ... i hear canucks talk or some American league like MLB or NFL or ...even tiger woods talk. I know they put some Lions stuff on but the vast majority is something else . I'm not going to listen to 45 minutes of canucks talk in hopes of hearing some Lions stuff .
It's sad but the vast majority is something else.