The Team 1040 Is Horrible

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ilovetheriders
Starter

The Lions biggest game of the year, the return of Casey Printers, a huge western division rival and they give it a few minutes. I'm a huge Rider fan but also a fan of the CFL and therefore am p----- at their lack of coverage, what a joke.
Tighthead
Legend

This seems like more of a projection than an observation when it comes at 4:15.

With the new ratings devices, programming will be more democratized, which may not be a good thing for Lions fans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I only listened to them for about an hour after accidentally hitting my Team1040 bookmark instead of Fan590. They spent nearly all of the 1:00 to 2:00 timeslot talking Lions stuff. Caravatta was on for a while as well as Javy Glatt. I think Printers was expected on a bit later. Unfortunately some Rider fans may not understand the concept of there being more than one football team and some curling to make up the sportscene in some cities. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ilovetheriders
Starter

Hambone wrote:I only listened to them for about an hour after accidentally hitting my Team1040 bookmark instead of Fan590. They spent nearly all of the 1:00 to 2:00 timeslot talking Lions stuff. Caravatta was on for a while as well as Javy Glatt. I think Printers was expected on a bit later. Unfortunately some Rider fans may not understand the concept of their being more than one football team and some curling to make up the sportscene in some cities. :wink:
If you're satisfied with a very small amount of time for your team than by all means that is your choice. But all day for the MAJORITY of time it's been everything else but the Lions. Compare the time they spent on everything else compared to the Lions and the numbers will be alarming. And the Canucks don't even play until tomorrow.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

ilovetheriders wrote:
Hambone wrote:I only listened to them for about an hour after accidentally hitting my Team1040 bookmark instead of Fan590. They spent nearly all of the 1:00 to 2:00 timeslot talking Lions stuff. Caravatta was on for a while as well as Javy Glatt. I think Printers was expected on a bit later. Unfortunately some Rider fans may not understand the concept of their being more than one football team and some curling to make up the sportscene in some cities. :wink:
If you're satisfied with a very small amount of time for your team than by all means that is your choice. But all day for the MAJORITY of time it's been everything else but the Lions. Compare the time they spent on everything else compared to the Lions and the numbers will be alarming. And the Canucks don't even play until tomorrow.
The Riders are to Saskatchewan what the Canucks are to Vancouver in terms of fanaticism. You, being a Rider fan, should understand that more than anyone.

How much air time / press do the Riders get in Regina?
Tighthead
Legend

ilovetheriders wrote:
If you were running a commercial operation would you give them equal time, or would you seek to maximize your ratings and revenue?
Tighthead
Legend

John Henry,

Did you come up with that parade of NFL players who are constantly on 1040? I haven't heard one all week.

Why would people who are paid based on ratings pay no attention to ratings? Can you give an example of a program director who follows your pattern? Who are they?

Don't radio PDs pay attention to their local market as opposed to the Canadian or American markets as a whole? Their clients are generally local, so that would seem to make sense.

What is your source on the fact that they are big NFL and NHL fans? That sounds more like opinion than fact.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've never noticed excessive coverage of the NFL or "everything else" besides the Lions on Team1040, just too much hockey and not enough of anything else.
David
Team Captain

ilovetheriders wrote:The Lions biggest game of the year, the return of Casey Printers, a huge western division rival and they give it a few minutes. I'm a huge Rider fan but also a fan of the CFL and therefore am p----- at their lack of coverage, what a joke.
In fairness, the Lions get pretty good media coverage in this market in the papers and on TV. In fact, the Province today led its sports with 4 full pages of football coverage for tomorrow's big game with the Riders, plus the entire back cover (Casey Printers).

I can't speak for today on the TEAM because I haven't been listening, but I don't think Vancouver would be any different than any other Canadian city with an NHL team sharing the same radio dial.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ilovetheriders
Starter

There is plenty of nfl coverage on the team. CFL ratings are higher than the no fun league.

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/
pennw
Legend

Would have to agree with ilovetheriders . I don't listen to 1040 due to the fact almost every time I tune them in ... i hear canucks talk or some American league like MLB or NFL or ...even tiger woods talk. I know they put some Lions stuff on but the vast majority is something else . I'm not going to listen to 45 minutes of canucks talk in hopes of hearing some Lions stuff .
nelson95
Legend

u can always change the station
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Bobbyp
Champion

pennw wrote:Would have to agree with ilovetheriders . I don't listen to 1040 due to the fact almost every time I tune them in ... i hear canucks talk or some American league like MLB or NFL or ...even tiger woods talk. I know they put some Lions stuff on but the vast majority is something else . I'm not going to listen to 45 minutes of canucks talk in hopes of hearing some Lions stuff .
Im with you guys. If the media pushed the CFL more it would be successful, but they have their own agenda that they push you can definetly see the rogers group of companies push their nfl crap.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Bobbyp wrote:If the media pushed the CFL more it would be successful, but they have their own agenda that they push you can definetly see the rogers group of companies push their nfl crap.
Fan590 is owned by Rogers. I can't speak for what they talk about over weekends and at night but I do listen to them as much as possible during the week. Their on air personalities spend far more time criticiquing the "Toronto Bills" experiment than they do promoting it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.