Ricky Foley Tied For CFL Lead in Sacks!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

In this season of challenges (to understate the season so far) there have been positives. The first is the pass rush of our defense. Our defense has not missed a beat in terms of getting to the quarterback, even minus Cameron Wake. Another positive is that we're getting the job done by committee.

A second positive has been the play of Ricky Foley. Foley had his first multi-sack game against Toronto, recording three sacks. His first of the game involved him just plain beating Rob Murphy's butt to get to the quarterback. Foley is now tied for the team lead in sacks. The ability of Foley to play at this level also enabled us to insert Armour in the middle and play an extra import.

Cameron Wake may have been special but Foley has been outstanding so far in his first season as a starter.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Foley has picked up his game and has a motor, great selection by the Lions, hope he can remain one past his current contract. Where the DL has been a let down however is the amount of yards given up via the run and with the new Williams in the middle, I am hoping for some destruction of anything headed up the middle, allowing our athletic DE's to pinch in on the RB.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

Good for Foley to finally really show his stuff . Looks like he could be the next Brent Johnson for the next few years . When Foley was drafted I recall Adam Braidwood was the big prize in the draft , picked up the EE , while Ricky had sort of an "also ran" status picked up by BC later . And look where they are now , Ricky's on top and Braidwood ...? No idea . Looks like we could thank the EE for taking Adam before BC could , or maybe we never would have seen Ricky in a Lions uni.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Foley's been a monster lately.
Keep up the great play Rick.
Bighill is Badass
hwgill
Legend

Where is Braidwood now? Haven't heard anything about him since that blowup between his dad & Murphy.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Maybe being understudy for as long as he was and watching Wake has been what he needed. He is definitely playing very good football and making a contribution only his family and friends would have believed was possible.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Area51
All Star

I remember how Braidwood got so much hype coming from WaSU, as if he was such an obvious choice for #1 and the CFL was just going to be a brief pit stop on his way to the NFL. Funny though, it was Ricky who got signed by the Ravens and Braidwood never got a sniff. I don't think Wally's ever gotten over the slap in the face surprise of finding out his pick was headed to the NFL.

Also, remember that BC passed over Foley in favour of Pottinger at #2. And Pottinger's been almost as useless as Braidwood has.
Area51
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:Maybe being understudy for as long as he was and watching Wake has been what he needed. He is definitely playing very good football and making a contribution only his family and friends would have believed was possible.

Did Ricky not seem very quick off the edge? Did he look like he needed to spend some time in the gym? What was there to suggest he would be anything other than an all star DE? Top notch speed, brute force strength and highly motivated to succeed. When you've got all three of those factors, it's a no brainer. The only thing that was lacking was the opportunity from the coaching staff to play. Thanks Wally & Bonevides.
Rammer
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Maybe being understudy for as long as he was and watching Wake has been what he needed. He is definitely playing very good football and making a contribution only his family and friends would have believed was possible.

Did Ricky not seem very quick off the edge? Did he look like he needed to spend some time in the gym? What was there to suggest he would be anything other than an all star DE? Top notch speed, brute force strength and highly motivated to succeed. When you've got all three of those factors, it's a no brainer. The only thing that was lacking was the opportunity from the coaching staff to play. Thanks Wally & Bonevides.
Just a question, would you have bumped Cameron Wake and replaced him with Foley? Second year Foley was up against a monster CFL player in Wake, there is no way to second guess Wally and Beny on that call, however I am sure glad that it all worked out for both sides this season.
Area51
All Star

No, I would have used them both by switching to a 3-4. Don't forget, after training camp it was pretty much a toss up as to who would start - - Ricky or Cam.

So to make a statement that "only friends & family could have believed Foley would make a significant contribution" makes me wonder what that poster might be seeing when he watches football. Or maybe he doesn't actually watch the games and just looks at the boxscores to make his talent asessments.
Rammer
Team Captain

Area51 wrote:No, I would have used them both by switching to a 3-4. Don't forget, after training camp it was pretty much a toss up as to who would start - - Ricky or Cam.

So to make a statement that "only friends & family could have believed Foley would make a significant contribution" makes me wonder what that poster might be seeing when he watches football. Or maybe he doesn't actually watch the games and just looks at the boxscores to make his talent asessments.
After the Cam Wake appearance in BC's TC, you only need to ask Rick Foley who he thought should start, it was clear to all that Cam Wake had the explosiveness that you want in a DE. I have to say we have enjoyed the progression of RF, but it has taken time to develop to the level he is today. That level still isn't at Cam Wake's rookie level, but for the extra NI status he has, he is solidly entrenched as a starter in BC. Remember CW won the CFL DPoY and RoY in that first campaign.
Sirona
prospect

Area 51 I really don't know who you are or who you think you are, but Pottinger is long gone from your team and should be a none factor to you. I realize you have been holding a grudge against him since university days , when you felt Pottinger stole the defense award away from Foley. Why don't you get over it already, and realize Pottinger and Foley don't play the same position, they are not in competion for the same position .You should be happy for another Canadian player trying to make his way in the league.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Sirona wrote:Area 51 I really don't know who you are or who you think you are, but Pottinger is long gone from your team and should be a none factor to you. I realize you have been holding a grudge against him since university days , when you felt Pottinger stole the defense award away from Foley. Why don't you get over it already, and realize Pottinger and Foley don't play the same position, they are not in competion for the same position .You should be happy for another Canadian player trying to make his way in the league.
Thanks for stopping by Jay Pottinger's mom/sis/gf or whomever.
Rammer
Team Captain

Would have liked RF to take care of business on the Copeland TD and Burris was able to straight arm him and gain the outside to make that throw for the TD.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sirona wrote:Area 51 I really don't know who you are or who you think you are, but Pottinger is long gone from your team and should be a none factor to you. I realize you have been holding a grudge against him since university days , when you felt Pottinger stole the defense award away from Foley. Why don't you get over it already, and realize Pottinger and Foley don't play the same position, they are not in competion for the same position .You should be happy for another Canadian player trying to make his way in the league.
:thup:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy