Buck's Last Stand?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

With Buck hurt (ribs) again and with CP in the QB stall and JJ seemingly coming back sooner than later, does Buck have to shoot lights out tonight?

5 Yard outs are not going to cut it in this league. Is that on the OC's game scheming? Chaps playcalling? or is it that BP can't or won't go down the field?

It is frustrating to watch. Boring even.

I know I may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I need to see some life from Pierce tonight. I need to see him move the offence and be confident in his pocket presence and throws. He checks down way too soon; after his first read it seems. Get the ball down the seams to Jackson and Simon. JJ seems to be able to, BP must have seen that.....

I'm pulling for the guy, but I can't take many more 2 and outs throwing 3 yards dunks on second and 8. The D can only be on the field and expect to make stops only so often.
hwgill
Legend

Especially against the Stamps. You give the Stamps field position, they will make you pay for it.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Spud387
Champion

Lion Guy wrote:With Buck hurt (ribs) again and with CP in the QB stall and JJ seemingly coming back sooner than later, does Buck have to shoot lights out tonight?
No. Unless Buck obviously struggles and is getting none to little offense put up on the board, Buck will be playing all of today, starting next week and so forth baring injury. Even if Buck struggles today, I doubt we'll see someone other than Buck start next week.
5 Yard outs are not going to cut it in this league. Is that on the OC's game scheming? Chaps playcalling? or is it that BP can't or won't go down the field?

It is frustrating to watch. Boring even.
I find it boring watching JJ go 2 and out over and over when he is off his game... with only the odd play that produces anything. Even if the results are the same, I'd rather watch our offense on the field rather than our D. I'd rather see control and clock possession than gun slinging.
I know I may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I need to see some life from Pierce tonight. I need to see him move the offence and be confident in his pocket presence and throws. He checks down way too soon; after his first read it seems. Get the ball down the seams to Jackson and Simon. JJ seems to be able to, BP must have seen that.....

I'm pulling for the guy, but I can't take many more 2 and outs throwing 3 yards dunks on second and 8. The D can only be on the field and expect to make stops only so often.
I agree, JJ's arm allows him to wire the ball into tight corridors to receivers, but I'd also rather see Buck toss the ball on a 4 yard dunp rather than try and force something... that is what causes turnovers. At least with the dunp, the receiver can try to make something happen, or at worst you punt instead of an interception.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yah Buck sucks 18 - 11 - 1 and winning last week is nothing.

The irony is that some fans want to win every game every season and have opponents lay down for them. If you want a guaranteed win, watch wrestling where you can know both this week and next weeks results before the events.

For a player, they want to win but the ability to decide your own fate as the Lions have now is the kind of adrenalin rush that players love (coaches not so much but they do want to raise their level). To be in a season like they are where they are literally trying to win every game as a must win is what makes sport special.

I don't like to see lousy performances but the Lions are in the hunt here and they won't win them all but it should be exciting for fans.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Our offense sucks with Quarterback X.

Yeah, but our offense sucks with Quarterback Y.

Yeah, but our offense will suck with Quarterback Z.

News flash. The quarterbacks aren't the problem. Stop arguing about them and figure out what the problem is. (Hint: It's in the coaching ranks).
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Our offense sucks with Quarterback X.

News flash. The quarterbacks aren't the problem. Stop arguing about them and figure out what the problem is. (Hint: It's in the coaching ranks).
:whs:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Our offense sucks with Quarterback X.

It is always easy to pick on the QB position and tonight after the game even Guilio and the Moj were falling into that same trap.

You are right. Out coached and under schemed.

As much as I admire and commend Wally's commitment to developing Canadian coaches, he is not well served by either Mike or Jacque right now. Mike didn't learn as he should have from the master Coach Ritchie. He should have stood by his side and taken it all in as well as handled his own tasks. He missed a huge learning chance.

The season is not over yet, and Buck played well enough to win.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

With the right coaching, you can win with either quarterback.

With the wrong coaching, you will lose with both of them.

MB is a very good Special Teams coach. As a D Coordinator, he's a very good Special Teams coach. Also has a good eye for Non Import talent.

But this "I want Buck." "I want Jarious." "I want Casey to come in, because I want to watch Khari Jones' 2005 season in Hamilton all over again," argument is both stale and pointless, until you get an OC that can build an offense around the talents and limitations (and all CFL QBs have limitations) of his personnel, rather than trying to cram his system down the throats of his personnel.

If there are not significant coaching changes this offseason, I will be seriously disappointed. We'll see if Wally has it in him to reinvent himself.