Lions sign JoJuan Armour!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dan
Rookie

Just heard Juan on the TEAM 1040 and he say's he is replacing Glatt at MLB. Thank God!! About friggin time!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It's about time.

The team has been asking Javy to play out of position all the way along. Not that he would be a great OLB either, but he can certainly play that position well enough.

IMO he is better at reading and reacting to a passing play than a running play. His tackling is not good enough for MLB. At OLB he does not have to look into the mass of bodies at the LOS, figure out the play, find the runner, get there, and then make the tackle.

At OLB, his pass coverage skills will be better suited. He still has to make tackles on running plays, but he should be able to read that play quicker and more accurately, since he is looking at half the field for the most part. His blitzing ability will also be more dangerous and harder to anticipate than coming from the middle, where he gets stuck in traffic.

This is not a knock on Javy so much as it is a knock on the Lions' staff for playing him at a position for which his skils are not well suited. He lacks the speed, athleticism, tackling ability and instincts necessary for MLB.

When we had Carl Kidd on one side, and Otis Floyd on the other, Javy could get by in the middle. We don't have that situation anymore.

I expect the Lions will use a mix of regular 4 - 3 (McKenzie, Armour, Glatt (or Nande), 4 - 2 with Banks, and some 4 - 4 (with Phillips joining Banks as a LB) over the next while.

One thing about Wally: although he stands by his ideas vigilantly, he will eventually acknowledge what others see and say.

This could be a major stepping stone for the Lions in turning the season around. Not so much because of the personnel change, but because the team can now see that there are no untouchables on the squad, and that Wally does acknowledge the inevitable.

The next order of business is even trickier. Can the coaches breathe some confidence into Buck and Jarious? These are two soldiers who follow orders without question. Perhaps they have too many ideas in their head about what the coaches want. It is not a coincidence IMO that they both play their best when it is desperation time. Stretch the field. Go for it. Throw off the shackles. Don't over-coach these guys. Loosen the reins. Let them play.
David
Team Captain

I agree with everything you said, WCJ.

While I am very pleased to have JoJuan back in the fold, it really troubles me to see Jamall Johnson running sideline to sideline like a heat seeking missile, shedding blocks, and making tackles all over the field for the Tiger-Cats. Many of us for quite some time have been saying that the answer lay within; that Jamall should have been our middle linebacker with Javy on the outside. Of all the players whom we deemed expendable (and I'll put JJ in this category as I don't think Wally tried too hard to re-sign him), Jamall will be the one we miss the most. I think he'll be an Eastern CFL all-star by season's end.

After he was released by the Buccaneers, rumours were that Jamall was seeking close to six figures, but I'd be surprised if Hamilton signed him for that. Imagine if we signed Armour for more money than Johnson's getting in Hamilton? I think Wally dropped the ball on this one.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I like it.

A.J. Harris is listed at 6'1" and 230 lbs. Does Wally finally miss Joe Smith? Does Wally finally acknowledge that we need a real power runner at certain times in the game?

Wally had hopes that Rolly Lumbala could be that guy. But Lumbala barely carried the ball in college (8 times total), and was used as a blocking back. IMO he does not have the resume or the natural running ability of a CFL running back.

Re: JoJuan Armour

My hope is that Wally abandons the 4 - 2, which IMO has shown great vulnerability to the running game.

It is also my hope that JoJuan plays in the middle of the 4 - 3, with primary run stopping responsiblity. McKenzie and Glatt can play on the outside.

I expect however that Armour will be on STs, with some reps at outside LB, and possibly a few reps at MLB.

These moves might just be window dressing by Wally. Keep the faithful fans (those that are left) happy. Show that changes are being made. It is possible that these new signings might not be used as we would hope.

The hope: a power runner, and a run stopping MLB.

The probable reality: window dressing. A place on the bench for the power runner, and ST duty for the linebacker.

If this is true that Lumbala only carried 8 times in college - that makes me even more disgusted with the dumping of Joe Smith and I couldn't have been unhappier with that move both for his fan and media interest and even more for his ability to get yards when needed.

That story says that Armour will start and Glatt will go to STs and is week to week. If true, this is not just a huge gamble on Armour but a sign of desperation that they'd trust Armour that much without a glance in game situations. Again, where the bleep was Buono when it came to Jamall (you cant play LB) Johnson????!!!!
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Tighthead
Legend

WCJ I think you are off on the 8 carries in college stat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/pr ... rId=157719

Only one carry and eight catches as a senior, but he started as a halfback and saw plenty of ball.

Stats Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2004 141 614 4.4 34 6 6 40 6.7 31 0 0 0
2005 128 472 3.7 46 1 22 217 9.9 32 2 0 0
2006 21 95 4.5 28 2 1 9 9.0 9 0 0 0
2007 1 2 2.0 2 0 8 67 8.4 18 0 0 0
Last edited by Tighthead on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:If this is true that Lumbala only carried 8 times in college - that makes me even more disgusted with the dumping of Joe Smith and I couldn't have been unhappier with that move both for his fan and media interest and even more for his ability to get yards when needed.
Yeah, I looked up the stats last year, Toppy.

I love what Wally has done for the Lions, but he is not without faults.

In the hiding of players' numbers was he not a bit like Nero fiddling while Rome was burning?

Wally thought the team could make a power running back out of Rolly Lumbala. Wally thought the team could make a rush end out of Caesar Rayford. He thinks he has a rush end in the making with Gary Butler. It seems Wally gets some unrealistic ideas at times about certain players, over-rating their potential. I guess any coach does that, but Wally does it in the face of much differing opinion and evidence.

For example, does the player in question have a resume of success at that position in college? That has to be essential in making a player evaluation. How many times have we seen teams think: "Oh this guy is a record holder in track. So therefore he should be a great football player." Ummm ... no, it is a different set of skills and instincts. Much more important than body type.

The Joe Smith thing: who knows the rationale? Was it because he had hopes for Lumbala? Was it because he was offended at Joe's absence from the Ackles Tribute? IMO Joe Smith was about the best power runner our league has seen for quite a while. He was a natural runner, with instinctive skills. IMO he also had good speed in the open field. He did not fumble. He could definitely pound the ball in from short yardage. He could block. And he could catch the ball out of the backfield. That time is gone. But what remains is the doubts some of us have about Wally's judgment at times.

We've been blessed with some great coaches here in B.C. It doesn't get any better than Don Matthews and Wally Buono. But that sure doesn't mean they are beyond criticism.
ziggy
Legend

Sounds like we will find out Friday if it was Glatt or the Defence as a whole! I think Glatt was wearing more than his fair share of blame but if Armour stuffs the Riders run game, then I'm all for the change.
David
Team Captain

If we're keeping the 4-2-6 with Armour and McKenzie at LB, what becomes of Terna Nande? Will he be sent in from the bench in running situations, or will Javy?

According to JoJuan in an interview on Global TV tonight, a bunch of players lobbied for his signing. He said he is committed to not letting them down.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ziggy
Legend

David wrote:If we're keeping the 4-2-6 with Armour and McKenzie at LB, what becomes of Terna Nande? Will he be sent in from the bench in running situations, or will Javy?

According to JoJuan in an interview on Global TV tonight, a bunch of players lobbied for his signing. He said he is committed to not letting them down.

DH
God doesn't the players lobbying remind you of another situation :pray:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:WCJ I think you are off on the 8 carries in college stat.

Only one carry and eight catches as a senior, but he started as a halfback and saw plenty of ball.

Yes I went and looked that up again, Tighthead, and posted on the other thread. (I had looked it up last year).

The stats still make my point, IMO.

In his senior year, does a top notch college running back only have 1 carry? for 2 yards? And in his junior year, 21 carries, for 95 yards. This is not the makings of a pro running back.

And does that college player then become a legitimate CFL running back? I would say the resume is a few thousand yards short. He is more of a blocking back, and still well behind Lyle Green, and even Alexis Bwenge, IMO.
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:WCJ I think you are off on the 8 carries in college stat.

Yes I went and looked that up again, Tighthead, and posted on the other thread. (I had looked it up last year).

The stats still make my point, IMO.

In his senior year, does a top notch college running back only have 1 carry? for 2 yards? And in his junior year, 21 carries, for 95 yards. This is not the makings of a pro running back.

And does that college player then become a legitimate CFL running back? I would say the resume is a few thousand yards short. He is more of a blocking back, and still well behind Lyle Green, and even Alexis Bwenge, IMO.
I would suggest that a top notch running back doesn't play FB, so the stats don't really matter. As for being a pro, it seems like he is playing FB, but his experience at TB gives him more carries and catches than many other FBs.

He isn't seeing the ball much right now, and isn't lining up at HB, so I don't think anyone expects him to be doing much other than blocking right now, and isn't that what he was drafted for?

I think I am missing or have lost your point - may well be my fault, not yours.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote: I think I am missing or have lost your point - may well be my fault, not yours.
No matter, Tighthead. :beer:

For myself, it is more about Wally's judgments re personnel in some cases.

IMO Wally seemed to think Rolly Lumbala was going to be a considerable weapon in short yardage situations. Last year, for example, in the playoffs. I would say Rolly's college record shows some ability as a blocker, not much as a runner. Especially not much as a player who might be used as a pro running back, as distinct from a blocking back.

Does anyone think Lumbala is ever going to be a threat as a running back? Does anyone think he should be called on in short yardage situations? I don't. I would rather see Lyle Green or Martell Mallett get those carries.

And, for my part, this discussion includes the jettisoning of a great short yardage runner, Joe Smith, for what reason? As a critic, I am questioning some of Wally's personnel judgements in the last year or two.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: An agitated Wally just said on the news he wasn't "replacing" Javy, just changing his responsibilities.
Nonsense. Wally should call it like it is. Ask Javy if he feels like he has been replaced as a linebacker or just re-assigned in a sideways move to an equally important position.

So Wally parses his words to Javy: "We need your help on special teams."

He parses his words to us: "Javy is not being replaced."

And, most concerning of all, he is making the decision for what reason? See below.
David wrote:According to JoJuan in an interview on Global TV tonight, a bunch of players lobbied for his signing. He said he is committed to not letting them down.
"The thing that felt so warm was that so many guys were in my corner and were telling Wally to bring me in. It felt awesome, but it also means I have a huge task ahead of me." - JoJuan Armour
This is annoying. I was thinking that Wally had made a mature, courageous decision, based on merit as he saw it. If he has given in to lobbying I will be very p***ed off. It is the wrong reason for making a change. If lobbying is the reason, any hope I had for the change to have a positive effect is greatly lessened. Once again, who is in charge of the asylum? We've been down that road before.

Reminds be of a "boss" I had. Last person in to his office to lobby him got the decision he wanted. Just make sure you are the last person in. The lineup to get back in starts just around the corner.
Rammer
Team Captain

I am really surprised the number of times that Wally 'listens' to those around him for decisions. The amount of times that this becomes public surprises me even moreso, Wally seems to be much more of a dictator than that, it really points out to me that it is time for him to step further away from the players and just do the GM job.
Entertainment value = an all time low