Major Personnel Questions - - Both Offence & Defence

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Area51
All Star

After two lousy performances it's time to take a look at some of the weak spots in terms of personnel:

#1 - - MLB: Glatt was terible in the 1stH against SASK but rebounded with a nice showing in the 2ndH. Did this lead to saving his starting spot? Certainly there were many people declaring the "return" of Glatt, but after tonight it's obvious BC needs something better at MLB. Do you think JoJuan Armour would have missed that tackle Glatt did to cost a TD?

#2 - - DE: Why is Gary Butler splitting equal time with Ricky Foley? At least twice tonight he was flat out pancaked by the tackle. I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering his only move is an attempted bull rush....against a guy he's giving away almost 100 lbs to. Again tonight Butler was repeating his mistakes from the pre season in cutting inside rather than keeping contain, and the RB promptly went right over the open gap. Unfortunately Buono has made public his love for Butler and when Wally takes fancy to a player it's almost impossible for said player to do anything wrong (see: Glatt, Javy and Lumbala, Roly).

#3 - - WR: RGM cost the game last week by failing to read the ball in the air and tonight he makes an even more glaring mistake by letting a long pass drop right between his hands. (I won't get into his questionable decision to try and bring the ball out on the missed FG, since this is about the WR position). It's frustrating to see the dropped balls from RGM when a proven ball hawk like Armstrong is available to be brought in.

#4 - - PK: No distance on his kickoffs, no accuracy on his FGs. Fortunately this situation seems to have resolved itself...at least for the few weeks that McCallum will be sidelined.

#5 - - QB: It's just not looking like Buck is able to be a starting CFL QB. The OL was much improved over last week so you can't say he didn't have time to make the throws. Identical INT again this week for a back breaking pick 6. I'm wondering if Buck has the arm strength to make the long throw across the field like that. How long will it take for Wally & the Jacques strap to let Jarious take a try at running the offence?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Area51 wrote:.

#3 - - WR: RGM cost the game last week by failing to read the ball in the air and tonight he makes an even more glaring mistake by letting a long pass drop right between his hands. (I won't get into his questionable decision to try and bring the ball out on the missed FG, since this is about the WR position). It's frustrating to see the dropped balls from RGM when a proven ball hawk like Armstrong is available to be brought in.
I think we're stuck with Grice-Mullin for the forseeable future. Buono is very high on this guy. Time will tell.
Bobbyp
Champion

Something changed on this team when Ackles passed away, there doesnt seem to be any fire and looking at Buono I feel he doesnt have the passion like he used to.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bobbyp wrote:Something changed on this team when Ackles passed away, there doesnt seem to be any fire and looking at Buono I feel he doesnt have the passion like he used to.

It was when Wally went whacky and out went Smith who was a super blocker and could rip off short yardage for first downs or TDs without question.

I don't think it has much to do with Bobby gone but the number of fans might have something to do with that along with the loss of media magnets Murphy and Smith. It had the whole city talking lion football.

I guess if you are calling down the QB, the long term reality is that this guy has the potential to be a future hall of famer who will do just fine despite the views of some fans who are down on him.

A QB is just one guy. This team is losing not the QB.

Oh but that one interception. Well games aren't won or lost on one play or they'd have first score wins and go home early.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Dan
Rookie

Thank God McCallum got injured, maybe now Sean Whyte will get into a game. If I'm gonna watch a kick struggle I'd rather watch a rookie try to find his game than a washed up vet.
orangegloves
Starter

Maybe Hamilton is finally...........well good. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. But I think some credit has to be given to the Ti-Cats they are starting to figure things out. PM out for at least 2-4 weeks, finally some new blood at the kicking game. But everyone is right Buck has been around for 5 years now, and even though he had over 330 yards passing there is something about him, that doesn't make me think he will led this team to a Grey Cup. If Buck can't get it done in the next 2 games bring in Travis Lulay. This team is starting to remind me of the Lions teams from the mid 90's loose the first 2 or 3 games, get on a role win 8 or 9 in a row, then continue to loose and squeak into the playoffs in 3rd place. This is going to be a tough year!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Dan wrote:Thank God McCallum got injured, maybe now Sean Whyte will get into a game. If I'm gonna watch a kick struggle I'd rather watch a rookie try to find his game than a washed up vet.

Isn't Whyte on the 9 game IR?
orangegloves
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:
Dan wrote:Thank God McCallum got injured, maybe now Sean Whyte will get into a game. If I'm gonna watch a kick struggle I'd rather watch a rookie try to find his game than a washed up vet.

The Lions put him there so no team could take him from the practice roster.
Tighthead
Legend

Buck is in his fifth year, 27 years old. At what point does he stop getting so much forgiveness for his potential?

As for said potential, I said after the WF last year that I just don't see it and two games in this year is more of the same, to my eye.
zark
Champion

Oh no! It's another post game thread.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Don Miller
Legend

Buck is not showing the same confidence he had a year or two ago. He does not have the same recievers nor the offfensive line. Lets pick up Edmwards RGM can run but can he friggin catch? He has dropped at least two td passes and oes that keep drives alive. Glatt is two small for mlb. Get Armour back. WHere was the pass rush last nite. McCallum may be done for a few games this kid Whyte can kick. Edmonton will be licking their chops. A long season.. Maybe bring in Printers for a look see. I don't see Buck or Jarious leading us out the woods..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

orangegloves wrote:Maybe Hamilton is finally...........well good. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. But I think some credit has to be given to the Ti-Cats they are starting to figure things out. PM out for at least 2-4 weeks, finally some new blood at the kicking game. But everyone is right Buck has been around for 5 years now, and even though he had over 330 yards passing there is something about him, that doesn't make me think he will led this team to a Grey Cup. If Buck can't get it done in the next 2 games bring in Travis Lulay. This team is starting to remind me of the Lions teams from the mid 90's loose the first 2 or 3 games, get on a role win 8 or 9 in a row, then continue to loose and squeak into the playoffs in 3rd place. This is going to be a tough year!

Wow, people are starting to see the things in buck that I saw in him when DD was still here. He doesn't deserve the $$ he's getting and he did not deserve to be named starter over jarious. I like jarious, but I dont see him being the answer either. The good teams (excluding calgary's poor start) have high quality starters. We have situational backups. Edmonton hasnt played well this season, if we go down 0-3 this season, I think you can basically write off this season unless we can get rid of chap and bring in a qb with some vision.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
LFITQ
Team Captain

orangegloves wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

If Whyte is on the 9 game IR, I'm not sure the Lions can activate him for next week. How does that work? Hambone?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
orangegloves wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:

If Whyte is on the 9 game IR, I'm not sure the Lions can activate him for next week. How does that work? Hambone?
You are allowed to pull up to two players off of the 9 game IL in a season, as IR.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
orangegloves wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Isn't Whyte on the 9 game IR?
I was wondering about that myself after I saw an article in the National Post this past week about the Argos' Jonathan Brown. It indicated that each team is allowed to activate, prematurely, one player from that 9 game list in each half of the season (presumably there's a cap-related price to pay).

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/stor ... id=1772654
His back is a problem because it prompted the Toronto Argonauts to shuffle him onto the nine-game injured list...

Teams are permitted to recall one player from the nine-game injured list in each half of the 18-game regular season, meaning Brown could return to action earlier than planned.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.