15 NHL teams to fold in next 24 months

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

130dB
prospect

Great article on the sorry economic state of sports. Interesting that arenas will start blocking off whole sections or whole upper decks if people start staying away from games.

15 NHL teams to move or fold in the next two years.

The Grizzlies are bleeding to death financially; good on Michael Heisley!:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/090227
Balraj
All Star

First off, why don't you just keep one name? First your 120db, then firstdown45 or somethin, now your 130db? Keep one DAMN name.

Second of all, you say that 15 nhl teams will fold in the next 2 years? any sources to back that up, because I sure as hell can't see any. Yeah the economy is bad, but remember the economy only slows down when people stop spending money and if people continue to spend money, ie: sports games, then teams should not fold. This whole economy situation started when U.S. banks started handing out loans to people who were not in positions to repay those loans. Canadas economy is fine, much better shape then the United States. Our banks all ready have strict guidelines for people obtaining loans, and now those guidelines have been made even tighter. Soooo....I don't really see how 15 nhl teams will fold in the next 24 months as you predict.

Lastly, I honestly do not know where you get a ton of your information from.

ps: any new information of what casey printers is doing this weekend? or what's going wrong with the bc place upgrades? :wink: :tease:
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Balraj wrote:First off, why don't you just keep one name? First your 120db, then firstdown45 or somethin, now your 130db? Keep one DAMN name.

Second of all, you say that 15 nhl teams will fold in the next 2 years? any sources to back that up, because I sure as hell can't see any. Yeah the economy is bad, but remember the economy only slows down when people stop spending money and if people continue to spend money, ie: sports games, then teams should not fold. This whole economy situation started when U.S. banks started handing out loans to people who were not in positions to repay those loans. Canadas economy is fine, much better shape then the United States. Our banks all ready have strict guidelines for people obtaining loans, and now those guidelines have been made even tighter. Soooo....I don't really see how 15 nhl teams will fold in the next 24 months as you predict.

Lastly, I honestly do not know where you get a ton of your information from.
Look behind him and slightly below his waist - that's where he pulls it from.

Not that getting rid of ten or so NHL teams might not be good for the game, but it ain't gonna happen.
I can see up to half a dozen teams going TU, but 15 is ridiculous.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This is ridiculous. How many names can a poster have on this forum ? :puke:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It really seems to be time for users of this forum to not respond to him. You can' put him on a foe list because he just changes his handle.

Don't reply, acknowledge or respond.

"Just walk away and I'll spare your lives"

The Lord Humungous
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Balraj wrote:First off, why don't you just keep one name? First your 120db, then firstdown45 or somethin, now your 130db?
Well, people were starting to ignore him, so now he's getting louder...

...or as the case may be, NOISE-ier.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:It really seems to be time for users of this forum to not respond to him. You can' put him on a foe list because he just changes his handle.
Well...he tries to, anyway. :beauty:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:It really seems to be time for users of this forum to not respond to him. You can' put him on a foe list because he just changes his handle.
Well...he tries to, anyway. :beauty:
MABEY!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
The_Pauser
Legend

130dB wrote:Great article on the sorry economic state of sports. Interesting that arenas will start blocking off whole sections or whole upper decks if people start staying away from games.

15 NHL teams to move or fold in the next two years.

The Grizzlies are bleeding to death financially; good on Michael Heisley!:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/090227
That article is about the NBA

:bang:
Roar you Lions roar!
D
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:This is ridiculous. How many names can a poster have on this forum ? :puke:
All I can do is keep banning each resurection

I banned him for a week and he just comes back as a new asshat, at this point all i can do is be as diligent at banning him as he is at coming back and hope one day he finds something more fun to do with his time

120db, a30db, FD45, Chimpy ..... I prefer Asshat
:2cents: :tp:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
zark
Champion

I knew who it was when I saw the post. Look, if you don't like the guy and his posts, don't respond. He loves it when you do. I'm amazed I'm not kicked off yet.( P W I ). If you don't respond, his posts just disapear, regardless of his user ID.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:That article is about the NBA

:bang:
Bob McCown takes every opportunity he can to shoot holes in Gary Bettman's "everything is fine in the NHL" message. However while McCown refuses to believe that things are as rosy as Bettman likes to make them sound he readily admits that the NHL has far fewer trouble spots than does the NBA.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The Coyotes are bankrupt.

The Florida Panthers are being merged into a public entity that issues stock to buy distressed sports franchises.

The Canadiens are for sale.

Certainly the NBA has trouble spots. Letting the Sonics move to Oklahoma City when New Orleans and Memphis are hemorrhaging money is stupid.

But let's not pretend the NHL is in great financial shape in the US south of the Mason Dixon line.
Tighthead
Legend

cromartie wrote:The Coyotes are bankrupt.

The Florida Panthers are being merged into a public entity that issues stock to buy distressed sports franchises.

The Canadiens are for sale.

Certainly the NBA has trouble spots. Letting the Sonics move to Oklahoma City when New Orleans and Memphis are hemorrhaging money is stupid.

But let's not pretend the NHL is in great financial shape in the US south of the Mason Dixon line.
The Canadiens are for sale, but they are a cash cow. The only reason for the sale is that the spendthrift owner is gunning for a second bankruptcy.

In some ways, the NHL is in better shape because it seems to have a pretty loyal following in many of the markets. If you could just zap out 6 or so deadbeat franchises, the league would be great. The NBA's profile has plummetted in the last decade or so. It may have fewer deadbeats, but it is supposed to have a large national following and it is hurting right now. The NHL was, is and always shall be (despite Bettman's wishes) a niche league with a much lower profile, but very loyal fans.

The NHL also has improved the on ice product and has lots of young talent right now. Beyond LeBron, I couldn't tell you who the young blood in the NBA is. Ten years ago I could have - like many, they are just off my radar.

I suspect both leagues could do with a little contraction and relocation, the NHL moreso with contraction. I do think Seattle could be a viable NHL city if they could get in before the NBA returns.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder what is Gary Bettman is smoking these days ? He still thinks hockey will succeed in Phoenix.