Buck and Jarious Press Conference - Ullrich and Little

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Can Lions QB Pierce shoulder task?

He's working on it, but questions linger

By Lowell Ullrich, The ProvinceJanuary 22, 2009 9:01 AM

A scowl briefly came across Buck Pierce's face and given the normally sunny disposition of the Lions starting quarterback, it was instantly noticeable.

Pierce was asked if he will maintain the strength program he began during a visit here this week when he returns to his offseason Phoenix base.

"Why wouldn't I do that?" he said. "That's not the person I am. It's either I improve or I get cut or don't play well. Otherwise you're cheating yourself."

Regardless, the strength of Pierce's right shoulder and upper body has become a talking point in the same way critics once talked about Damon Allen's age or whether Dave Dickenson could absorb repeated shots to the head.

It happens when you are a starting signal-caller in the three-down league and your employer is eventually willing to discuss extending your stay.

And so this season, the Lions are taking no chances. Pierce began working out with Lions strength coach Chris Boyko in Surrey this week, and he insists he'll be ready for the opening of training camp June 7 in Abbotsford.

In the pass-happy CFL, the Lions' success again hinges on the outcome.

The 27-year-old pivot said he was structurally sound during a Surrey pit stop at this time last year, when the club elected to forgo immediate surgery in favour of a natural healing process to the shoulder which has been a source of concern for close to three seasons.

Yet, less than two quarters and four sacks into the Lions' first 2008 regular season game, Pierce had injured his clavicle, yielding to Jarious Jackson.

Pierce gamely recovered sufficiently to play and threw the last Hail Mary pass of the 2008 season 45 yards into the end zone in the West Division final against the Calgary Stampeders after his 12th straight start.

But the Lions want more, and so not only are focusing on strength but agility as well this year.

"This offseason we're not rehabbing the shoulder. Overall we're more interested in him building up more muscle mass and upper-body strength," said coach Wally Buono.

For Pierce, the winter to date has been spent balancing option-year workouts for NFL clubs and talking about a contract extension with the Lions.

Both Jackson, who shot down rumours of discontent, and Pierce suggested they would gladly take new CFL deals, which the Lions would consider once their NFL options close Feb. 15. But in the absence of hard negotiations, both are content to work on fixing an offence that showed solid statistical gains last year but at times flowed like Pattullo Bridge traffic.

"We weren't very consistent," Pierce said. "We changed our scheme and we were looking for an identity."

And with players departing at a regular pace so far, it's an identity which will change again.

"I personally felt we came off a semi-high [after the 2007 season] and guys felt when we were first stepping on the field that teams were going to bow down to us," said Jackson. "Guys have to understand we're back at ground zero."

And Pierce is back pumping iron.

"I really used to be a weight-room guy in college because we ran the option [offence] and we got beat up," he said.

"This is just an opportunity to improve myself. They don't want me to add weight. It's just to get stronger and be able to play 18 games."
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Despite some concerns about this in the off-season, it looks like both Buck and Jarious will be back in the fold with the Lions this year.
Both Jackson, who shot down rumours of discontent, and Pierce suggested they would gladly take new CFL deals, which the Lions would consider once their NFL options close Feb. 15.
Good news. Happy to be here and on into the future. Both Buck and Jarious have had success, but also, both have room to improve.

As noted in the article, Buck needs to improve his strength and durability.

For his part, Jarious needs to improve his consistency, his touch on short passes and his ability to start games quickly.

There are many personnel changes to integrate this year. 4 key defensive players, and one key slotback are gone. It's almost like a rebuilding year, except Wally's record shows he is more about reloading.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... story.html
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions' pivots are at peace

Rival quarterbacks Pierce, Jackson 'really work well together'

By Lyndon Little, Vancouver SunJanuary 21, 2009Be the first to post a comment

The B.C. Lions will have no shortage of question marks going into training camp 2009.

Like, who's going to step into the leadership role vacated by released slotback Jason Clermont?

Or how is the team going to replace Cam Wake's 23 quarterback sacks?

Yet one issue that apparently isn't going to cause problems for the Canadian Football League team is a quarterback controversy.

For that type of ugly scenario, think back to where the 2008 Toronto Argonauts wound up after they failed to keep Kerry Joseph and Michael Bishop compatible with each other.

The Lions' two veteran quarterbacks, Jarious Jackson and Buck Pierce, put in an off-season appearance together on Wednesday at the Canadian Football League team's Surrey training facility. And while they'll be going training camp gunning for No. 1 they made it clear, come what may, they'll be on the same page in terms of putting the team's best interests first.

Pierce and Jackson came to the club the same year, showing up as newcomers in 2005. With the departure of Dave Dickenson prior to last season, they together hold the team's quarterbacking fortunes squarely in their hands.

"I feel Jarious and I work really well together," says Pierce, who like Jackson will be entering the option year of his contract. "He's a great guy on and off the field. In the locker room he has nothing but a positive attitude."

That synergy and harmony could be crucial as the team attempts to get back to a championship-calibre level. Despite the club's seventh straight season with 10 or more regular-season wins, last season was the first in five campaigns that the Leos didn't host the Western final.

The team did manage to upset Saskatchewan in the semifinal in Regina before falling to the Calgary Stampeders in Calgary in the Western championship game.

The Lions found they needed both QBs last season in order to get through the brutal 18-game regular season. Pierce started the opener in Calgary but reinjured the shoulder that caused him so much problem in 2007. Jackson then stepped in and started the next seven contests.

Pierce came back as No. 1 in Game 9 on Aug. 29 in Montreal and promptly set a club record with 38 pass completions, although the Lions lost a heartbreaker 30-25. The 27-year-old then held the starter's role for the balance of the campaign.

Pierce finished with 3,018 yards passing — a high for him in B.C. — with 19 TDs and nine interceptions. Jackson's numbers for the regular season were 2,164 yards with 17 TDs and 10 picks.

"There was a different level of expectation on both guys last year and I thought they handled it pretty well," said head coach Wally Buono. "I feel they both grew as quarterbacks. I don't believe quarterbacking was the reason we didn't achieve what we wanted to."

The two QBs are anticipating another healthy rivalry when training camp opens June 7 in Abbotsford.

"You have to go into camp with the mindset you're battling for No. 1," says the 6-1, 240-pound Jackson, who brings to the table the addition dimension of a running threat, finishing as the team's No. 2 ground gainer with 362 yards. "If you don't do that you can become a bit lackadaisical in your attitude."

Buono was reluctant to be drawn into any discussion on whether either QB would go into camp as the presumptive No. 1.

"I haven't really spent much time thinking about that — it's only Jan. 21," he said. "Before that I've got to sit down and talk with both those guys."

One quarterback-related decision that has already been made is to put Pierce on a specific off-season workout program. The club would like to help him add some muscle and overall strength. Two years ago, the New Mexico State grad went through such a horrible string of physical problems he was restricted to just 127 pass attempts.

"The previous off-season we were more concerned about just getting Buck's shoulder back healthy," said the Lions' coach. "This time, that's not as big an issue. He can now work on more overall strength improvement to help him withstand the pounding quarterbacks take in this league."

The Lions' two QBs feel they can identify areas where the offence (which was No. 3 in points scored and No. 4 in total yards in 2008) can improve.

"I feel we need a bit more consistency and to cut down on our turnovers," said Pierce.

"I think we went into last season feeling a bit too much like other teams would bow down to us," said Jackson. "We have to go to camp and realize everybody starts equal."

GRID BITS: According to Buono, there's no significant developments with his three impending free agents — offensive tackles Rob Murphy and Jason Jimenez and backup defensive lineman Matt Kirk. "Rob has made it clear, due to family obligations, he feels he's going to test free agency," reiterated the Lions' coach, who has already tabled a substantial offer to the two-time CFL outstanding offensive lineman award winner. "Jason has been away. He's due back in town soon and we'll see where we're at with him." … Player personnel coordinator Neil McEvoy has been in contact with the agent for running back Stefan Logan, who is currently pursuing the NFL option-year window in his contract. "Before anything happens we'll hear back from them," he said.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... story.html
Dan Russell
Legend

Hopefully the Lions have a set number 1 QB for the year and don't have to participate in the QB carousel again.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Dan Russell wrote:Hopefully the Lions have a set number 1 QB for the year and don't have to participate in the QB carousel again.
Why? Let's let training camp happen and let the coaches figure that out. I'd rather see a "carousel" than stick with a predetermined #1 guy who is struggling, if that were the case. That makes no sense.
Dan Russell
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
Dan Russell wrote:Hopefully the Lions have a set number 1 QB for the year and don't have to participate in the QB carousel again.
Why? Let's let training camp happen and let the coaches figure that out. I'd rather see a "carousel" than stick with a predetermined #1 guy who is struggling, if that were the case. That makes no sense.

I wasn't clear earlier. What I meant was that hopefully the #1 QB is consistent that they don't have to change back and forth from one arm to another.