How does the defence get better in a week?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:This one is simple IMHO. And it doesn't require a lot of changing of personnel.

Back to basics.

Our Secondary can't go from Lockdown U to Meltdown U in the course of one season without help. IMHO this is because of schemes and to do with letting the inmates run the asylum. Ritchie held an iron fist over his defence. Players loved Ritchie and respected his knowledge. IMO Benevides doesn't command the same level of respect, and I doubt he demands he either. As the new guy on the block, I believe the players are given more freedoms in their coverage than would have happened under Ritchie. Add to the fact Washington is now a secondary coach and not far enough removed from the players he used to play with, and I think you have a secondary that is more loose than focussed.

How to fix that? Simple. Get back to basics. Have Benevides and Washington lay down the law this week. Bring back some tapes of Ritchie's defence and re-integrate that back into the fold.

As for LB'ers - it again goes back to basics. Glatt, though often much maligned on this board this season, is still young and that youthfulness tells me that he can't go from a top notch MLB to relegated to Special Teams in the course of one season - at least not without help. Add to this fact that I believe Glatt leads the league in "tackles for a loss", shows me that Glatt still has the ability to be effective. The problem here is that the schemes often take him out of position and team's are running to where he is not, forcing him to play "catch up". Again going back to a basic MLB position where he has a main responsibility for stopping the run and I bet you improve the LB play immensely. Sometimes coaches can over-think their schemes and actually draw players out of their main responsibility. Coaches can forget the basic role of each player and try and do something weird and strange to confuse the offense. Most of the time this isn't working with today's offenses.

On the front line I would basically increase the rotation. Our bread and butter with this defense is pressure on the QB. So you send pressure and you keep the front line fresh. Keep the rotation going strong, keep the bodies fresh, keep the front line going after the QB and getting the pressure to force mistakes. Last week's game was a prime example of how we kept going to a 3 (or even) 2 man rush on the backup QB's letting them get their feet and feel confident. Send a 4 or 5 man rush and they get a little more agitated and bouncy.

IT can be done, but the change has to come from the coaches on D, and not necessarily in the manner of player personnel changes. We have the horses, we jsut have to understand how they work most effectively and not take them out of their element.
:whs: Good post. Having a first-year defensive coordinator and defensive backfield coach has been the team's biggest weakness this year. Some of the rotations, coverages and assignments have not put players in position to make plays.
OV - 54:40
Champion

51 is Foley's dad?; or his agent?

Yeah- it's all Glatt, Brent Johnson & Ty Williams's fault; just take them out of there and put Ricky in and all will be well or better - right.

This scapegoating of players is kinda pathetic really. Now maybe these quality defenders have suddenly become useless and lost their skills - ya figure? Could be the DC or defensive coaches are getting out-coached some too.

I would like to see more of Foley & Tad Crawford, plus maybe Pottinger some early in the game to help stop the run - all 3 of these guys have apprenticed and have experience now. Throwing some of the vets under the bus for some bad games this year ... pretty typical from some of the expert fans out there.

This D has plenty of talent, but the lack of production or bad play for parts of this year has been quite puzzling IMO. Maybe they ramp up the intensity or put it together when it counts in the upcoming play-offs; if not - changes should be made. Throwing in some raw rookies - like this Nande guy (I'm sure he's another Dan Kepley - based on what I don't know though :no: ) with little to no CFL/Canadian ball experience / been on the roster a few weeks - now at play-off time - is a foolish/laughable notion IMO.
Sirona
prospect

OV - 54:40.......... Your post is the most sensible post I have read here tonite. You made excellent points and yes, I sometimes think that Area 51 takes things very personally for a casual fan.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

no question---- johnson in the middle! more time for foley and crawford.

sorry , dont want to see 8 dbs on 2nd and long :bang:

prssure bishop or whoever is the key! let them throwup those interception!!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

sports & stuff----ric wrote:
sorry , dont want to see 8 dbs on 2nd and long :bang:
Crazy, when I first read this I had to check the thread as I thought it was about a possible new id. lol
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes has a good article on the defence, quoting Dante Marsh, LaVar Glover and Mike Benevides, in a special Blitz section of The Province today.
Criticism may yet prove to be extra motivation for an embattled defence

I agree with this statement from Benevides:
"It really seems like they perform best when they're up against a wall," said first-year defensive co-ordinator Mike Benevides. "That's when they're going to knock your ass out.

"We're going into a hornet's nest. Nobody expects anything from us. We'll just go there, fly around and lay it on the line. There's nothing else to say."
The B.C. defence played a great game in its last trip to Regina, including a goal-line stand that reminded me of the 2006 Grey Cup. I expect another great defensive game this week.
zark
Champion

Some people need more than a paycheck to perform well. It's come down to their jobs. How's that for motivation?
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
pennw
Legend

zark wrote:Some people need more than a paycheck to perform well. It's come down to their jobs. How's that for motivation?
At playoff time does it not always come to that ? Much was made of the argos playing for jobs their last game , but are not other teams in the playoffs not in the same boat ? Of course there will be player turn-over next season and for two teams this weekend it will be their last game this season. That means for many players their last chance to show what they got in game action .
As mentioned by some already some of the poor defensive play , could be because of defensive schemes taking players out of position to make plays . For our run defense , it has many times really looked like it , with no one behind the d-line to stop a rb.
Our coaches won't admit that is their fault but hopfully behind the scenes , they see it on film and have it fixed for the next game . If not Cates is going to be BC's demise .
Blitz
Team Captain

Looks like our Leos are going to sit Clarence Coleman this week and activate Terna Nande....two decisions I hoped for......
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Have you seen him play? I know nothing of him. Which third of the lb is his natural position?
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:Have you seen him play? I know nothing of him. Which third of the lb is his natural position?
He got some playing time in the Calgary game. He is an outside LB (Otis backup), but has size to be a MLB.
Entertainment value = an all time low
lion24
Legend

Whatever way they did it I don't care but the defence was better a week later and probably the best all season :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Ed Willes has a good article on the defence, quoting Dante Marsh, LaVar Glover and Mike Benevides, in a special Blitz section of The Province today.
Criticism may yet prove to be extra motivation for an embattled defence

I agree with this statement from Benevides:
"It really seems like they perform best when they're up against a wall," said first-year defensive co-ordinator Mike Benevides. "That's when they're going to knock your ass out.

"We're going into a hornet's nest. Nobody expects anything from us. We'll just go there, fly around and lay it on the line. There's nothing else to say."
The B.C. defence played a great game in its last trip to Regina, including a goal-line stand that reminded me of the 2006 Grey Cup. I expect another great defensive game this week.
The Lions D took care of the hornets nest, now a simple dose of horsefly's for this upcoming week, seems to be a slightly easier task now. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

calgyria had an easy one last week, they were loose, and had nothing to lose. I'm betting there's a bit more pressure and SQUEEZE on the ball this time. :beauty:

Anyways, to answer the question how does the D get better in a week? Realize you just got humiliated and also realize that the next game is a PLAYOFF game. That's what happened.