Captain Luongo

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Well, this is certainly outside the box / unconventional type of thinking - Roberto Luongo is the Canucks new captain. Luongo is the first goalie to serve as captain since Bill Durnan captained the Canadiens in 1947.

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1391
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Well, this is certainly outside the box / unconventional type of thinking - Roberto Luongo is the Canucks new captain. Luongo is the first goalie to serve as captain since Bill Durnan captained the Canadiens in 1947.
Outside the box and insane. Like the guy doesn't have enough pressure already.
bclions16
Champion

How silly. They've actually split the 'responsibilities' three ways. Mitchell is doing the actual captains job, Ohlund is doing ceremonial captains duties like posed faceoffs, and Luongo is the captain, but doesnt get the C or any official role.
Oh, like I care. This is probably the last time I notice the Canucks this year.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
nelson95
Legend

Yipee for Luongo

Is this to keep him from asking for a trade?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
MacNews
Team Captain

It's an odd move but I think its a good one. Luongo is a competitor and a good choice for Captain.
bclions16
Champion

MacNews wrote:It's an odd move but I think its a good one. Luongo is a competitor and a good choice for Captain.
Except he is not allowed to actually fulfill any official duties of a captain. So he's just a "leader in the room." Wasn't he that already?
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rules stipulate that Luongo can't wear a "C" on his jersey. What's to prevent him putting a "C" on his mask ? :yes:
bclions16
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Rules stipulate that Luongo can't wear a "C" on his jersey. What's to prevent him putting a "C" on his mask ? :yes:
Maybe he could use velcro to stick it on his helmet during game time, and on his jersey in the intermissions? Might as well stick it on his bath robe at home too.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
Bosco wrote:Well, this is certainly outside the box / unconventional type of thinking - Roberto Luongo is the Canucks new captain. Luongo is the first goalie to serve as captain since Bill Durnan captained the Canadiens in 1947.
Outside the box and insane. Like the guy doesn't have enough pressure already.
exactly, he didnt fare to well when he had the extra pressure of parenting/tough pregnancy. Why bother heaping more on the guy, he's already the franchise. Some look at it as a move to cement luongo's return after his current contract, but i dont see that at all, since they offered the c to sundin, wether he took a one or two year deal. The canucks have become a circus, maybe they can join up with Vince McMahon and start the new XHL, Xtreme hockey, extreme sports, combined! lol. Just turns the canucks into another running joke all over the league. But with those nasty jerseys i wont be watching too many games myself.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Lemme join the crowd....

bash ...bash ...bash

stupid...stupid...stupid

bash ...bash ...bash

stupid...stupid...stupid
The Pez
Starter

It is different for sure,however they didn't "heap" this on his shoulders. He was asked and he accepted. We will see. :cr:
nelson95
Legend

its like the canucks have a string of annoucements to keep have the population ejaculating over each other.

who cares
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
bclions16
Champion

Lionheart wrote:Lemme join the crowd....

bash ...bash ...bash

stupid...stupid...stupid

bash ...bash ...bash

stupid...stupid...stupid
I'm sensing sarcasm? I don;t think this is just idle Canuck bashing, I think this is a really, really silly idea, so a few of us are just adding to the thread.
It's silly because a captain actually has some game duties, and fulfills a ceremonial role too. A goalie isn't allowed to do the former, and Ohlund has been assigned the later.
If something similarly creative and wacky was done in the CFL, there would be a chorus of voices saying "bush league CFL."
I call it like I see it, and this move is stupid...stupid...stupid.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
Lion Guy wrote: Outside the box and insane. Like the guy doesn't have enough pressure already.
exactly, he didnt fare to well when he had the extra pressure of parenting/tough pregnancy.
Not really the same thing - off-ice, personal-life pressure is a distraction from what's essentially your job... Luongo seems to thrive on in-game pressure.
Just turns the canucks into another running joke all over the league.
Oddly enough, very few, if any, in the league have agreed with that so far. A few sports pundits have, but everything I've heard so far from other players is overwhelming support for the move.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote: It's silly because a captain actually has some game duties, and fulfills a ceremonial role too. A goalie isn't allowed to do the former, and Ohlund has been assigned the later.
Actually, the goalie isn't allowed to perform the ceremonial role either, which is why Ohlund will do it - per league rules, the goalie may not ACT as the captain... nothing says he can't be NAMED the captain.
If something similarly creative and wacky was done in the CFL, there would be a chorus of voices saying "bush league CFL."
I call it like I see it, and this move is stupid...stupid...stupid.
The rest of the team disagrees with you.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.