Riders/Lions Back to Back

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:I really hate these back to backs, but the advantage of this one is it should give us a quick indication of which spot the Lions will have to work for. Here are some random thoughts in no particular order.

1. The big one, the trenches, Lions have not really beaten the Riders on either side very often, but got roasted earlier this season on both. They cannot afford to have an off game, they need to establish dominance in order to protect BP and get holes open for the scat back set.
2. Eliminate Bishop, he cannot be allowed to get first down yards by running, especially the QB sneak in the red zone.
3. Force the Riders to throw long, although that has been a little bit of a liability this season, I feel that you can afford to count on Miles to knock down those and maybe even get a pick or two. But more importantly, you have to take the short game away (especially Cates) from the ball control offense that the Riders like to deploy given the success of their D.
4. Be prepared for the opening drive, don't start another game from behind.
5. Get the crowd into the game, start strong and allow the 13th man to make it difficult on Bishop, who isn't known as the brightest bulb at the QB position.
6. Do not lose the turnover game, with a Rider team that thrives on emotional flow, turnovers can and will kill the Lions. \
7. Know that you are playing a team that finds a way to win, never says die, so play the entire 60 minutes.
They certainly have to do a better job than the Bombers did in their defensive meltdown last week. Amongst the Riders receiving corps last week were 4 rookies; Dressler, Washington, Bagg and Marshall, a converted RB in Childs, journeyman Michael Palmer and veteran Corey Grant who was hurting and only saw limited action. The Riders racked up 532 yards in offence, half of it in the 4th quarter. 3 of those rookies had never caught a pass in the CFL before but were responsible for over half of the Bishop's 24 completions.

The Lions also have to avoid the pitfall they had against the Riders in Week 2. The Riders were very successful on 2nd and long as the Lions continually dropped off into coverage to prevent the big play and left the underneath stuff wide open. It was almost like they were saying "you need 10? We'll give you 15, but you're not getting 20". The Riders lapped it up with a simple NFL 3rd and long mix of draws and screens to Cates who had all kinds of room to rumble uncontested. While they can't totally disrespect the abilities of the Riders' makeshift receiving corps they do have to pay special attention to Cates on those 2nd and long situations.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Neutralize Wes Cates and Weston Dressler
How are their fibulas? Still intact??

lol, i heard cates may not play because of a concussion. dressler was supposivly havin the same issues but played in the last game. chick is out 4 week with a compound fracture to one of his fingers
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
leeinq
Rookie

CatsEyes wrote:Then the week after that, I'm heading east to represent! Wooo! :rockin: :yahoo:
Hope you have a good time here. If you need any suggestions about places to stay, good bars, etc. let me know.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

leeinq wrote:
CatsEyes wrote:Then the week after that, I'm heading east to represent! Wooo! :rockin: :yahoo:
Hope you have a good time here. If you need any suggestions about places to stay, good bars, etc. let me know.

Saskatchewan is not "East". It is mid no-where. :roar:
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
leeinq wrote:

hahahahahha....fun things to do in saskatchewan are as real as the St Louis Rams defense.....

O N E
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

leeinq wrote:
Thanks! :beauty: Fortunately, I'm going to visit a friend who does security at TF, and she has some pretty good plans for us! :yahoo:
Lion Guy wrote:
Hey man, when you live where I do, pretty much EVERYWHERE is East! :lol:
Real women wear orange!!
leeinq
Rookie

Lion Guy wrote:
leeinq wrote:

When I first moved to Saskatchewan from BC to take over a provincial organization, I had to give a speech at the AGM. Got a few laughs and a few scowles by saying how nice it was to be with all you easteners. Anyway, 9 years later I can say that there are lots of great things to see and do here. Ok I miss my gardern in January, but love living within staggering distance of Taylor Field!

Go Riders....
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

leeinq wrote:
leeinq wrote:

When I first moved to Saskatchewan from BC to take over a provincial organization, I had to give a speech at the AGM. Got a few laughs and a few scowles by saying how nice it was to be with all you easteners. Anyway, 9 years later I can say that there are lots of great things to see and do here. Ok I miss my gardern in January, but love living within staggering distance of Taylor Field!

Go Riders....[/quote]

The winters would do me in. The only city in canada in which i would brave the harsh winters is montreal, its such an amazing city, with so much to do and so much history. Plus there is always somethin going on there. I wouldnt move to saskatchewan if you paid me to, same with winnepeg, tho they do have some of the hottest girls in the country....and its an alright place provided its not snowing....

O N E
Vern Halen
Champion

Lion Guy wrote:
leeinq wrote:

LOL - nice... :beer:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I really hate these back to backs, but the advantage of this one is it should give us a quick indication of which spot the Lions will have to work for. Here are some random thoughts in no particular order.

1. The big one, the trenches, Lions have not really beaten the Riders on either side very often, but got roasted earlier this season on both. They cannot afford to have an off game, they need to establish dominance in order to protect BP and get holes open for the scat back set.
2. Eliminate Bishop, he cannot be allowed to get first down yards by running, especially the QB sneak in the red zone.
3. Force the Riders to throw long, although that has been a little bit of a liability this season, I feel that you can afford to count on Miles to knock down those and maybe even get a pick or two. But more importantly, you have to take the short game away (especially Cates) from the ball control offense that the Riders like to deploy given the success of their D.
4. Be prepared for the opening drive, don't start another game from behind.
5. Get the crowd into the game, start strong and allow the 13th man to make it difficult on Bishop, who isn't known as the brightest bulb at the QB position.
6. Do not lose the turnover game, with a Rider team that thrives on emotional flow, turnovers can and will kill the Lions. \
7. Know that you are playing a team that finds a way to win, never says die, so play the entire 60 minutes.
This reads more like the keys to the WF than back-to back games, home and away Rammer.

Where one might assume control of every last detail you’ve outlined necessary to bring about ultimate success, you’re most likely correct and I am in full agreement with your assessment.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
wildthing
All Star

Looking forward to a great 2 game series. BC IMO has become the true rival of the Riders based upon the last few years. :beer:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:Looking forward to a great 2 game series. BC IMO has become the true rival of the Riders based upon the last few years. :beer:
The Riders have rivals? According to your boards they are in a league all their own.

As a matter of fact, there should be an all-Rider league where only the Riders play the Riders because, well, they are the Riders; Elite team, elite most knowledgable fans; the rest of the so called league is but their doormat.

Perhaps there shoud be a Saturday Night Live skit?????

:lol:
VANRIDERFAN
Rookie

VANRIDERFAN wrote:
Rammer wrote:
ilovetheriders wrote:Just moved out West...my first game ever at BC place...can't wait!
Where are you guys sitting (That goes for you as well VanRiderFan)?

I haven't got a ticket yet. It is Canadian Forces Appreciation Night and I am hoping to score a freebee tomorrow. If that doesn't happen then I'll go for the cheap seats. (This is soooo Scottish of me)
It's a good time to be in the Navy. Just scored a freebee ticket, ride from the ferry and rack to sleep the night away. Only drawback is that I will have to wear a uniform so toppling the gyro is out of the question.
Waving the Rider Pride all over the world
crburrows
Champion

VANRIDERFAN wrote:
It's a good time to be in the Navy. Just scored a freebee ticket, ride from the ferry and rack to sleep the night away. Only drawback is that I will have to wear a uniform so toppling the gyro is out of the question.

LOL!

Will you be in your whites or blues?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

crburrows wrote:
VANRIDERFAN wrote:

LOL!

Will you be in your whites or blues?
Q'est ce que c'est?