Report: Wake wants out of his contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Zarquon wrote: He was supposedly the air-apparent
That's heir apparent. Not air. :beauty:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe he's planning a career in politics. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:shock: What difference a year (not even yet) makes. Derek (as he was then known IIRC) shows up to TC in spite of some potholes. He makes the Team, becomes Cam and now wants to move on. As a Lions fan, I'm dissappointed. I want him to play out this year. But, if I was in his shoes, I have to admit I'd do the same thing.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Sounds to me like the NFL is tampering with a player under contract.
Interesting point LionKing. I could have sworn during the Printers/Medlock 3-ring circus prior to the start of the 2005 season that there was talk of an NFL team providing the Lions financial compensation to allow Printers out of his contract.

Perhaps this is what Wally discussed with Wake's agent yesterday? The timing of Wake's request is very bizzare otherwise. This could have been done 4 or 5 months ago.
Again a highly improbable scenario unless such an NFL team wanted to pay off all 8 teams. The only way to let Printers out of his contract then would've been to release him in which case he'd immediately be claimed on waivers by another CFL club and the NFL team would have to pay that team off too. You could play that game through all of the teams and somewhere along the way BC could reclaim CP themselves.

There's no way this Wake thing is caused by any NFL club trying to get his agent to get him out early. The NCAA football factory pumps out all kinds of rush end/linebacker types every year. Wake has already been through an NFL camp or two so it's not like he was a total unknown. If there is any NFL involvement I suspect it's no more than a team inquiring as to his CFL contract status and I don't consider that tampering. However if his agents have fielded multiple such calls I can definitely see them taking the initiative to try getting him out of his deal early any way they can. Perhaps Wake didn't even consider it until his agents told him they figured they had a way. I think this is totally agent-induced.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:I think this is totally agent-induced.
We have a BINGO !!!!!!
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
We have a BINGO !!!!!!
By looks of Jim Mullin's most recent offering it may be more media-induced than agent-induced.

CFLPA on its own initiative digs into 2007 rookie contracts to see if anything doth stink.
As a 2007 rookie Wake's contract would be one of many being looked at.
Wake as the reigning CFL Outstanding Rookie and Defensive Player would likely benefit the most should the CFLPA turn up something in contravention of the CFL CBA that would potentially get him out of his contract.
A good agent is always looking for ways to better his client's situation because ultimately that betters their own situation. X% cut of an NFL contact > X% cut of a CFL contract. Therefore it stands to reason that Wake's agents' interest would be piqued by the CFLPA's investigation.

In the end as often happens one enterprising media pundit looking for a story has taken 2 and 2 and come up with 17. CFLPA looking into 2007 contracts + Wake's contract = Wake wants out.

The more that has come out the more I think this is just a case of the CFLPA practicing due diligence which it their perogative and there is a slim possibility Wake and several others could benefit. By the time any perceived grievances could be filed by the CFLPA and ruled upon the season will be nearly over. Hey it only took 6 months to process Jimenez' arbitration completed. I expect any findings from the CFLPA's investigation will likely have far more impact on future contracts than ones already signed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
We have a BINGO !!!!!!
By looks of Jim Mullin's most recent offering it may be more media-induced than agent-induced.

CFLPA on its own initiative digs into 2007 rookie contracts to see if anything doth stink.
As a 2007 rookie Wake's contract would be one of many being looked at.
This is entirely agent induced, according to Jim Mullin's earlier story.
CKNW wrote:One of Wake's agents, Jon Elnitski says the wheels were set into motion after he had a discussion with the players association.

Elnitski says that wake is still preparing to remain in camp, and is just one of many players from last year questioned in the union investigation.

Out of all the rookies who signed in the CFL last year, Wake has attracted the most attention from NFL teams.
Wake's statement was obviously drafted by one of his lawyers/agents. Talk about loopholes:
"To be clear - nothing has changed with respect to my contract with the BC Lions and I have no plans to breach any legal commitment that I have with the BC Lions or with the CFL."
It doesn't say that he has a legal commitment to the B.C. Lions and the CFL and wants to fulfil his contract, only that he has no plans to breach "any legal commitment" that he may be found to have after the CFLPA review of contract legality initiated by his agents.

I'd rather hear directly from Wake, without any lawyers getting in the way.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:This is entirely agent induced, according to Jim Mullin's earlier story.
CKNW wrote:One of Wake's agents, Jon Elnitski says the wheels were set into motion after he had a discussion with the players association.

Elnitski says that wake is still preparing to remain in camp, and is just one of many players from last year questioned in the union investigation.

Out of all the rookies who signed in the CFL last year, Wake has attracted the most attention from NFL teams.
Ah yes, but that statement doesn't clarify who initiated the discussion? Was it Elnitski making an enquiry to the CFLPA? Or was it the CFLPA as part of their little investigation who called Elnitski to get information on their negotiatons re: Wake thus enlightening him to something he wasn't even aware of?
ziggy
Legend

If he got sucked in maybe he should look at firing his agent or agents, surely one of them must have been aware of the rookie rule? I can see this being an issue if he just fell off the turnip truck ,or if his agents were the basis for that old Jim Carrey movie, but I find that hard to believe. I suspect they signed a deal and now want to cash in on last years success.
Tighthead
Legend

ziggy wrote:If he got sucked in maybe he should look at firing his agent or agents, surely one of them must have been aware of the rookie rule? I can see this being an issue if he just fell off the turnip truck ,or if his agents were the basis for that old Jim Carrey movie, but I find that hard to believe. I suspect they signed a deal and now want to cash in on last years success.
The CBA puts a positive duty on the teams in negotiating contracts. Under no circumstances could circumvent the CBA and say that the agents or player bear that responsibility.

I find it amusing that there is a reasonable chance that the Lions were in contravention of the CBA, and yet most of the vitriol is directed at the player and his agent.
DerekDD
Starter

Tighthead wrote:
ziggy wrote:If he got sucked in maybe he should look at firing his agent or agents, surely one of them must have been aware of the rookie rule? I can see this being an issue if he just fell off the turnip truck ,or if his agents were the basis for that old Jim Carrey movie, but I find that hard to believe. I suspect they signed a deal and now want to cash in on last years success.
The CBA puts a positive duty on the teams in negotiating contracts. Under no circumstances could circumvent the CBA and say that the agents or player bear that responsibility.

I find it amusing that there is a reasonable chance that the Lions were in contravention of the CBA, and yet most of the vitriol is directed at the player and his agent.
i guess we may find out about this soon.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wake is on his way to B.C. as we speak and he'll be in a Leos uniform this season. However, there is no question that teams will need to be clear that a player has the option of signing a one year and an option in the future. However, players may also not get signed if they will only commit for one year and an option....certainly Wally isn't likely to sign that short length of contract.

The bigger question will be whether Cameron Wake, who had an awesome season as a rookie, wants an extension with more money or whether he wants to give the NFL a try.

I remember some fans on Lionbackers overrated Wilson, whom Wake replaced and thought we'd have difficulty replacing him. Even when Cameron Wake showed his skills in his first two games there were still doubters. I doubt there are many now. This guy is a specimen.

He's also crucial to the Leos defensive structure this year as we play more 3-4 football because Wake can play rush end or linebacker and with those long arms and great vertical he can drop off into pass defense or rush the quarterback. I'm also looking forward to Foley getting more reps in this scheme this season!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
ziggy
Legend

Tighthead wrote:

The part about the CBA may be true, but if you have an agent you should certainly expect that he does some homework and is as familiar with the CBA as some of you fans are, prior to collecting his cut from the signing. If the agent is aware and he should be, that his client was not offered the options he is entitled to then he should earn his pay and speak up. I find it hard to believe that anyone calling themselves an agent would allow this to happen to their client. Kind of like hiring a lawyer and finding out halfway through the trial that he doesn't really understand law or if he does doesn,t want to cause waves by objecting.
Tighthead
Legend

ziggy wrote:
Tighthead wrote:

The part about the CBA may be true, but if you have an agent you should certainly expect that he does some homework and is as familiar with the CBA as some of you fans are, prior to collecting his cut from the signing. If the agent is aware and he should be, that his client was not offered the options he is entitled to then he should earn his pay and speak up. I find it hard to believe that anyone calling themselves an agent would allow this to happen to their client. Kind of like hiring a lawyer and finding out halfway through the trial that he doesn't really understand law or if he does doesn,t want to cause waves by objecting.
The agent has nothing to do with the fact that the Lions are obligated to observe the terms of the CBA. The Lions should also be familiar with the CBA so as to not circumvent it through inadvertance.

You are also not considering the fact that the agent may have been silent to the malfeasance as it is now in his clients interest to bring it up moreso than it was at the bargaining table.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: I remember some fans on Lionbackers overrated Wilson
Overrated Wilson?.......the guy is now playing in the NFL.......so how exactly did we overrate him? :???:

No player is irreplaceable.
Lloyd