Rider Injuries....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

Looks like Cates says he'll be ready, but Austin's not convinced:
Tuesday, November 13, 2007

By Darrell Davis,
Regina Leader-Post

Tailback Wes Cates told reporters Sunday he would be playing in the Saskatchewan Roughriders' next game.

His head coach wasn't as optimistic.

"We're not sure,'' Kent Austin said following Saskatchewan's 26-24 victory in the West semifinal. "Whenever I predict something like that, I'm usually wrong.''

The Roughriders visit the B.C. Lions on Sunday for the West final. The game will be played inside B.C. Place Stadium, a noisy, hot dome. Cates missed the team's final three regular-season games and the playoff victory, ostensibly with a sprained foot. Or perhaps a hairline fracture.

Cates was Saskatchewan's leading rusher this season, gaining 866 yards (and five touchdowns) on 152 carries. He led the Roughriders with 1,318 yards from scrimmage and 1,372 all-purpose yards. He's also a formidable blocker and enjoys playing on special teams, where he made three tackles.

Fullback Chris Szarka remains doubtful while recovering from an off-field accident that caused two sliced fingers.

Tailback Corey Holmes missed one game with a tender shoulder, plus he was sidelined for a portion of Sunday's game after aggravating the injury.

Josh Ranek, a former 1,000-yard rusher with the Ottawa Renegades, was summoned to provide depth. Playing his second game with the Roughriders on Sunday, Ranek was knocked woozy and suffered a suspected concussion, which forced him to miss the game's final stages.

The Roughriders still have Henri Childs on their practice roster, but Childs hasn't yet shown the big-play potential or break-through running that was expected of him. And Shermar Bracey, a powerful tailback released earlier this season, apparently hasn't kept himself in game shape. Cates might have to play.
Rammer
Team Captain

Holmes looked to have more on the shoulder injury than the stinger he suggested. Ranek of course looked worse than DD did his last concussion, that was a huge hit he took on that ST play, I stopped watching the rest of the play to see if he was going to get up....

Cates tried one or two days to go last week and was shut down early each time as I understand it, so he may make it back. It may be a risk that they have to go with though, as there isn't much else to do at this point unless Hughes is used. Szarka still is potential, but I doubt that the Riders risk him or Cates, knowing that they may well end up on the bench costing them a roster spot.

Riders also lost Stancil during the week of practice for the Stamps, so not sure what his status is.

Dominguez is of course gone.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Holmes did come back a few plays later.....hoping for our sake he is out though.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Holmes did come back a few plays later.....hoping for our sake he is out though.
Still either way I have a feeling somebody in the Rider backfield is going to be playing not 100%, there backs are just that duct-taped up right now, the only healthy one is Neal Hughes.....Austin not convinced about Holmes could just be game posturing too.....
Rammer
Team Captain

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Holmes did come back a few plays later.....hoping for our sake he is out though.
Still either way I have a feeling somebody in the Rider backfield is going to be playing not 100%, there backs are just that duct-taped up right now, the only healthy one is Neal Hughes.....Austin not convinced about Holmes could just be game posturing too.....
The problem with Holmes is that he returns the ball and you know the Lions are going to take a shot on that shoulder given a great chance like that.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Joseph is the Rider's run weapon. Box him in, make him throw. That is how Austin plans to deal with the crowd...with Joseph running. He ran for 108 yards Sunday...stopping his running will give us the edge.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:
Joseph is the Rider's run weapon. Box him in, make him throw. That is how Austin plans to deal with the crowd...with Joseph running. He ran for 108 yards Sunday...stopping his running will give us the edge.
Lions have to do that same game plan since the 04 WDF against the Riders (Burris), as their QB's are only effective running the ball, and forcing them to throw the ball is going into our strength of our DB's.
Dan Russell
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
That is one way to combat the noise. We'll need Floyd or Glatt to spy him most of the game then.
Joshua

Rammer wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
Lions have to do that same game plan since the 04 WDF against the Riders (Burris), as their QB's are only effective running the ball, and forcing them to throw the ball is going into our strength of our DB's.
only effective running the ball? I hope Wally shares your point of view
Reider
Starter

Joshua wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
x2
The_Pauser
Legend

In the words of Brent Sutter (yes I know he's from a different sport), "Bring whoever you want, we'll still beat ya"

I don't care if they play Cates, Ranek, Holmes, Dominguez, or if Kent Austin suits up at quarterback. When they step into the dome on Sunday, they are walking out losers.

This is BC's year once again. Roughies...JUST BRING IT :rockin:
Roar you Lions roar!
Rammer
Team Captain

Joshua wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
If you limit KJ to being strictly a passer, you are going to have success, just look at the games in which he didn't run much, more losses than wins.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:
Joshua wrote:
Rammer wrote:
x2
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
Reider wrote:
Joshua wrote:
x2
That made me LOL :lol: