ATTENDANCE THREAD FOR WESTERN FINAL

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

The Mom's Basement section. :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The handicap section :wink:
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I got 1.
Dan Russell
Legend

GeroySimonFAN wrote:what section are chimpy and 120dB sitting in?
The same seat no doubt. :lol:
DerekDD
Starter

Whats the update on tickets sales for the Western Final so far?
120dB
Legend

Last year on Oct. 29 WF sales were at 24,000, and on the 31st 28,000
chimpy

I would say close to 30,000 already sold, by the looks of it. if that is the case we should hit 40,000 a week before the WF, and if it is Sask it will sell out.
David
Team Captain

Just curious 120dchimp - if you'd asked most of us on here what we wanted to be when we grew up, most would say "a fireman," "a policeman," or maybe even a doctor to help people.

Did you dream about working for Ticketmaster? :?

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Soundy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Just curious 120dchimp - if you'd asked most of us on here what we wanted to be when we grew up, most would say "a fireman," "a policeman," or maybe even a doctor to help people.

Did you dream about working for Ticketmaster? :?

DH 8)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Big Time
Champion

chimpy wrote:I would say close to 30,000 already sold, by the looks of it. if that is the case we should hit 40,000 a week before the WF, and if it is Sask it will sell out.
I think the "myth" about Riders fans showing up to Lions playoff games needs to be given a rest. There is no way that Riders fans would make up 15000 seats in the stadium. The last two times they played the Riders in the WDF it wasn't even close to that. It would have been 5000 if you're being extremely generous, and I would say it was probably closer to 2000. I still laugh my head off at how in 2004 when there was 55000 that people were saying that 30-35K would be Riders fans. I was at that game and there was less than 5000 Rider fans and they made barely a whimper the whole night. Last year when there was about 40K their fans were non existent as well.

Bottom line is the Riders won't make any real difference in attendance or noise at the WDF. They are not nearly as hardcore as some CFL fans would like you to believe.
chimpy

last year there was 50,084, not 40,000
120dB
Legend

I have the 2004 Western Final on video and Brian Williams said Rider fans that game numbered about 18,000. The attendance was 55,000. Of course we would'nt want to question Brian Williams the know-it-all.

After we won the 2010 Olympics, Williams, then in Prague to cover the decision on CBC, cracked that Whistler "is a great hill" but that the reason Vancouver won it was because Canada was "owed one" by the IOC. Not much mention of credit to Vancouver or Whistler or the people necessarily involved who worked hard to put the bid together, just that Canada was "owed one" by the IOC. To Williams, Whistler is just "a great hill".

Last year on Oct. 29 the WF tally was 24,000 and on Oct. 31 it was 28,000
chimpy

well i think they are into the 30's by know, because my cousion just bought 2 seats in the upper deck on the visitors side sec 12 row JJ
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Last year on Oct. 29 the WF tally was 24,000 and on Oct. 31 it was 28,000
If you're trying to make comparisons to this year's figures, remember that the WF was a week earlier last year, on Nov 12, just 14 days beyond Oct 29.

This year's WF is on Nov 18, so perhaps your 24k and 28k figures from last year (which I take your word for) should be ranked against the sales by Nov 4 and 6 this year for a more valid comparison. But the comparison isn't straightforward anyway because we clinched first earlier last year (more lead time to sell tickets).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
chimpy

Yeah but i think the lions are more popular this year and here is why.

1 the merge of JJ
2 have won 8 in a row
3 can get 14 wins ,team record
4 win back to back grey cups (first time ever)
5 I think people are starting to belive, this is a start of a dynasty.
6 canucks are awfull right know(but that should not matter anyhow)

it should not matter when we clinch.

Last year here is why we were not as popular

1 No team records to shoot for
2 just another grey cup only 1 ,we want 2 in a row
3 no exciting games last year a lot of blow outs.
4 it was taken for granted that the lions would kill every team. and they did.

5 Dave Dickenson all though he played well last year i think lions fans want to see him move on and bring a younger more exciting player in. Like JJ