No TV Blackouts next year under TSN's new contract?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

I understand there won't be any more TV Blackouts next year starting with TSN's new TV deal. Seeking some confirmation of this and further details...

if true, I suppose the TV money is better now and will offset any losses from smaller crowds.

I'm sure there is some protection for the CFL in the deal in case the lifting of blackouts wipes out attendances, such as a clause in the contract saying the blackout option can be reviewed after every season and changed if warranted...
stansz
Champion

im not really sure...if i lived in vancouver..and the choice was between TV and live games...i would 100% choose the live games
pumped!!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

stansz wrote:im not really sure...if i lived in vancouver..and the choice was between TV and live games...i would 100% choose the live games
... and record the TV broadcast for later viewing. Double win.
Rammer
Team Captain

Doubt that, or we would have heard about it at the time the contract was signed. Nice try though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
QB#9
Starter

stansz wrote:im not really sure...if i lived in vancouver..and the choice was between TV and live games...i would 100% choose the live games
I live in the valley and if I had the choice between TV or live games with traffic and some other pains, I would still choose live games 100% of the time.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

QB#9 wrote:
I live in the valley and if I had the choice between TV or live games with traffic and some other pains, I would still choose live games 100% of the time.
I stick with live games too but that being said I would have NEVER became a Season Ticket Holder IF all games were on TV. Why? Well if I wanted to SEE all the games I had to GO to the games. I bit the bullet, got the season tickets. I quickly found out what an absolute BARGAIN they are but without being forced to try, I probably would have never made the effort.
chimpy

I understand there won't be any more TV Blackouts next year starting with TSN's new TV deal. Seeking some confirmation of this and further details...

if true, I suppose the TV money is better now and will offset any losses from smaller crowds.

I'm sure there is some protection for the CFL in the deal in case the lifting of blackouts wipes out attendances, such as a clause in the contract saying the blackout option can be reviewed after every season and changed if warranted...

I do agree with this statement 120db, they would have to have some protection against this. I would honestley think this is going to boost attendace, exspecally here in bc, here is why

1. If Bc wins the grey cup this year the tv exposure for the Lions at home is th best advertising they will ever have.

2. i Guarentee that if all local games are not blacked out our attendace will go from 32,000 to 34,000 a game as long as it is entertaning and the lions are winning.

3. i remeber back in 1991 when the lions played the Toronto Argos wth Rocket Ismail, murrey pezim lifted the black out, it turned out to be the best game of the season, going into overtime. Murrey Pezium said that if he did not lift that game the lions would not have averaged 40,000 that year, so you never can guess what type of game will be televised.

4. And it will seem more big league to the casuale fan that is interested but not quite sure if they want to come to bc place on a regualr basis.

I think this is the best thing that can happen to lions , better than any advertising out there.
DerekDD
Starter

I think this "story" is nonsensical.
smphantom
Legend

DerekDD wrote:I think this "story" is nonsensical.
I think 120db and chimpy are the same person.
Stay thirsty my friends.