Official 2007-08 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

By letting in five goals tonight, it's unlikely Curtis Sanford will win himself a goaltending job.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

He will be Luongo's understudy regardless how well he played.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Robbie wrote:By letting in five goals tonight, it's unlikely Curtis Sanford will win himself a goaltending job.
Um no it isn't. He was signed to be the backup....not the starter. Schneider's going to the Moose, MacIntyre's going to the Moose, Sanford's backing up Luongo
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A much better performance by Curtis Sanford tonight by making 40 saves in the Canucks' 3-2 win over Calgary. :thup:
Dan Russell
Legend

The Canucks win 5-4 in Edmonton over the Oilers tonight in the final preseason game for the year for them.
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Fairly impressive pre-season. Alot of the young guys impressed me, Nathan McIver especially. San Jose looked good when we faced them so we have a tough test friday in the season opener
Lets Go Lions!
chimpy

i have noticed when the canucks do not have bredon morrison or Naslund, the team does a lot better, maybe the canucks should think about a package deal together to get rid og them both, for a Joe Sakik type of player, that can lead us to cup. because i think those too players do hold us back for some reason, i noticed that for the last couple of years.
Dan Russell
Legend

chimpy wrote:i have noticed when the canucks do not have bredon morrison or Naslund, the team does a lot better, maybe the canucks should think about a package deal together to get rid og them both, for a Joe Sakik type of player, that can lead us to cup. because i think those too players do hold us back for some reason, i noticed that for the last couple of years.

Joe Sakic isn't going anywhere and it is unlikely Morrison and Naslund will fetch much now.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Scoring still seems to be a problem as indicated by the Canucks' 3-1 season opening loss. :roll:
CartWheelFan
All Star

Robbie wrote:Scoring still seems to be a problem as indicated by the Canucks' 3-1 season opening loss. :roll:
Okay, given that I am NOT a Canucks fan, you can take the following comment how you will, I just find it a little ironic that a team that was shut out 3 times in the first round of the playoffs last season did virtually NOTHING to improve their offense in the offseason. Oh, wait, they re-signed Trevor Linden. (don't get me wrong, Linden is one of the few, if perhaps only Canucks I have any respect for) Seems like the coaching staff is just hoping that young talent steps up? Maybe a true Canucks fan can step foreword and enlighten me on the Canucks scoring strategy for the 2007/08 season? JR who is in all likelihood held together with hockey tape scores a pair, and while Luongo made some great saves, at the other end Canuck youngsters were missing empty nets. It could be a long and frustrating hockey season in Van this year :bang:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

More than counting on the young players, they're really hoping that their veteran goal-getters will pick it up to where they should be. Morrison may be playing completely healthy for the first time in two years. Naslund seems to be breaking out of the funk that's held him back the last two years - he was actually skating well and mixing it up a bit in the scrums tonight.

Frankly, the second and third periods, the 'nucks played pretty good... it was a really weak first period and giving up three goals therein that killed them... that and all the dumb penalties.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan Russell
Legend

Very simple why they couldn't upgrade the scoring this year. No cap space to obtain an star with 3.5 mil. They have 9.2 mil going to Naslund and Morrison together who had off years last year. So when 1/5 of the salary cap is lossed for the year, your team will struggle. As this season ends, for the start of next season they will have 12.5 to sign 6 forwards and an backup goalie. So for instance, 3 $600k forwards and 1 backup for $600k leaves approximately 10.1 mil to sign 3 forwards in the upcoming offseason. This would be the time to bring someone in however the free agent pool will be empty so it will have to go the trade route. In the next offseason that should be quiet signing wise, it is the best time to obtain talent when the demand is lower then this past offseason players were getting 7-8 mil which is inflated. So far prospects haven't been traded as they are TRYING to build an pool of them as years of bad drafting is rearing it's ugly head. Canucks draft good AHL players but not NHL players as history has shown.
nelson95
Legend

Such a great night with the Lions winning and the Canucks losing.
Yeeha!
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:Such a great night with the Lions winning and the Canucks losing.
Yeeha!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

they play in calgary tonight
2012 Season Ticket Holder