Leos/Argos Post-Game Thoughts!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

It was a key matchup for our Leos against an Argo's team that was expected to give us a tough battle. Jordan Younger started the fireworks before this game even started, crossing into our half of the field to get into it with Paris Jackson. It only fired up our Leos who play their best when the opposition chooses to play chippy. Rob Murphy's eyes reflected the mood of our entire team in an intense battle that we won in every aspect.

OFFENCE

Our offence came out to dominate the line of scrimmage from the outset of this game against the Argos! We gave the Argos a strong dose of Joe Smith early and often. Joe Smith scored our first touchdown on a short plunge, to cap off a solid scoring drive.Smith was 14/79 in the first half and our Leos were patient, going back to the run when it was there..something most offences are not willing to do. We kept pounding on Toronto's defense, wearing them down. Belli started to get frustrated... and when he grabbed Jarious Jackson unnecessarily, after Belli's third offside of the half, Kelly Bates and Rob Murphy took exception.

With the first half winding down we got a chance to finally see vintage Geroy Simon, as he slipped a tackle following a catch, took it wide, and turned on the afterjets for a 59 yard gain.We had a great chance to score our second touchdown of the half and really put some distance between us and the Argos but Jason Clermont couldn't survive contact in the end zone, dropped the football, and the challenge was unsuccessful. Jarious Jackson made some excellent throws in the first half, showed his excellent scrambling ability, and showed poise in the pocket. We went into the first half with a 12-0 lead.

Jarious Jackson opened the second half with a deep throw to Paris Jackson, dropping it perfectly over Jackson's right shoulder, although Younger had good coverage. A pass interference call on Wheaton, who interfered with Gereoy Simon moved us into scoring range. We got a bad break as another excellent throw to Simon, into the end zone went incomplete as the Argo defender got away with grabbing Simon's wrist. However, McCallum's field goal put us up 15-0 as we answered the second half bell with a long scoring drive.

Our offence had a great chance to put up some more points following Banks interception in the third quarter but Kelly Bates face masking penalty forced a second and twenty five. Still McCallum was able to convert a 46 yard field goal to give us an 18-0 lead. Paris Jackson hit Geroy perfectly on a post pattern and Geroy took it to the Toronto one yard line... but unfortunately Simon fumbled just before he hit the turf. Ryan Phillips interception gave our offence great field position near the end of the third quarter, deep in Toronto's end. Two handoffs later and Joe Smith drove into the end zone, on a counter, with Lyle Green leading the way, to give us a 27-7 lead.

With less than eight minutes left, after another field goal Jarious Jackson hit Clermont for a 32 yard gain downfield to the Toronto thirty yard line. A bad snap on second down for a loss led to another field goal by McCallum.

Anyone prefer "Chap Ball" to "Smash Ball"? It was great to see our offence just run the football down a team's throat again because it's so physically and mentally wearing... and demoralizing to the opposition. Add in a another poised effort from Jarious Jackson, solid performances from Paris Jackson and Jason Clermont, and Geroy Simon's bringing back the sparkle of old to our offence, and we were just too much for the Argo's 'D"!

DEFENSE

Our defense came out to play in this game from the opening whistle. We got steady pressure on Bishop, all first half, with Cameron Wake getting excellent pressure and another sack to take over the league lead. Hunt was also a strong presence in the first half, getting strong penetration. Toronto put together a successful drive in the fourth quarter but Miles timely interception, on a poorly thrown football by Bishop, allowed us to keep the goosegg on the board.

We kept Toronto completely off the scoreboard in the first half, an impressive performance against a red hot Argo offence coming into this game.

On the second play of the second half, Toronto's centre snapped the football over Bishop's head. Jamal Johnson pulverized Bishop as he tried to throw it away but Korey Banks read the play beautifully and stepped up with a big interception. Toronto finally scored their first points in the game in the third quarter, as Phillips was called for a 43 yard pass interference penalty. Phillips was unlucky in that the Toronto receiver hand fought him but Phillips did't turn around on the play. Our defense really dug in, shutting down Edwards on a second and short but Toronto ran a 1 yard reverse with Frank Murphy on their third down gamble to score.

Simon's fumble on the one yard line, after an excellent catch and run play, didn't demoralize our defense and they shut Toronto down with quick two and out, forcing the second safety touch by Toronto in the game. The safety put us ahead 20-7 with four minutes to go in the third quarter. Hunt put huge pressure on Bishop on second and 20 late in the third quarter, Washington made a great play on Talbot, and the tipped ball went up in the air and into Ryan Phillips hands. Phillips returned the football for huge yards to the Toronto 17 yard line. It was Phillips eight interception of the season to lead the league while it was the seventeen interception for our defence..again a league leading stat.

Korey Banks was outstanding on the blitz all night, getting a big pass knockdown and then hitting Bishop and forcing a fumble in the fourth quarter, with the ball recovered by Ty Williams, who had his best game of the season.

This game was an example of our defense playing on all cylinders. We got pressure from our front four and that was such a key because we got both inside pressure from Hunt and Williams as well as the outside from Wake and Johnson. When we bltized we also did it effectively. Ryan Phillips key knockdown on a deep pass, with nine mintues left in the game caused a fifth turnover as Toronto surrendered the football on downs.

Brent Johnson picked up a Bishop fumble late in the fourth quarter, as our defensive line all caved in Michael biship, and Johnson and rumbled into the end zone to give us a 40-7 lead. Ricky Foley had a big sack late in the fourth quarter, to put our defense into the lead in sacks in the CFL. Ryan Phillips and Korey Banks had outstanding games, Mark Washingon had a solid game in his first start at wideside corner, solidifying that spot , while Miles, Knolwton, and Glover were all on their games. Otis Floyd looked his sharpest of the season and Jamal Johnson played fast and smart out there all game and hit like a ton of bricks.

With pressure on the quarterback Ritchie was able to mix his defenses and coverages.. like a chef creating a gourmet banquet of mouth watering treats and our defense looked hungry, turning over the football six times and picking up four sacks in an intimidating performance.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Toronto prides itself on its special teams but Ian Smart showed that our special teams are very dangerous too with a big return in the first half. With the game very chippy in the first half Toronto's Hardy held Crawford all the way downfield and when Crawford tried everything to break free of his grab the two grappled with Hardy landing on top of Crawford. Both were ejected as the ref decided to set an example to calm the game down but Crawford should not have been ejected.

McCallum had a strong game in the field goal department, hitting on all his many field goal attempts and our downfield coverage did an excellent job on Dorsey, a speedy returner. Once again Jamal Johnson and Ricky Foley looked fast and sharp on special teams and they were backed up by a lot of hustle and discipline by all our Leos on the downfield coverage teams. Jamal Johnson's hit on Dorsey late in the fourth quarter could be heard in the upper rafters.

Ian Smart also had a 36 yard return on a kickoff in the third quarter to give us good field position as our special teams outperformed Toronto. We gave up a 51 yard return late in the fourth quarter to Dorsey as we relaxed too much with a huge lead.. but when the game counted we were on the money.

WRAP

This game demonstrated how talented a team we are when we bring our A game. Our offence was physical but we also showed our skill game, completing some big passes for huge gains. Defensively, we were back to that aggressive, intimidating, ball hawking style that is such a treat to watch because it''s such a huge weapon when we play that way...and it all began with pressure up front!! With Glatt and Marsh back in the future.. one can only imagine how good they could play. On special teams we continue to be fast and disciplined.

A huge, impressive, dominating victory for our Leos!! :paw:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good recap, Blitz. Thank you.

I am very happy for Jarious Jackson, the Ultimate Team Player. He is showing more and more why he holds so many QB records at Notre Dame.

Jarious Jackson was 12 for 29 for 264 yards, which should have been more with more plays from the receivers.

The pile driver running game is a treat for Lions fans. Joe Smith is such a unique runner. Power, speed, moves, good receiving, team guy. Awesome. Joe Smith 20 for 99 yards and 2 TDs.

Glad to see the Defense crank it up. Cameron Wake for Rookie of the Year. Welcome back, Brent Johnson and Tyrone Williams.

Ian Smart still the Special Teams player of the year.

Hello, Geroy. Welcome back.

Congrats to our Co-Offensive Coordinators. Another very good game. :rockin:
rb
Champion

Toronto played terribly tonight.
Ravi
Legend

rb wrote:Toronto played terribly tonight.
No kidding but the Lions were full value for the victory. Our team has a lot of work to do but the Lions proved tonight that they are still the class of the west and the team to beat out there. Congrats on the win!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Agreed good recap Blitz. I really enjoyed the effort Washington gave on the Phillips pick, Mark looked beat and then its going the other way.

Maybe I'm being too tough but I think the BC recievers could have had a better game (dropped balls/fumble). I really think our defense dominated. As you noted Blitz, Banks was living up to your name.

I think Pinball did a smart thing by declining the penalty near the end of the first half. The Lions were only able to get off the one play but thankfully the headsup by the Argos didn't matter in the end....

Also, I did get a chuckle of the long 'Pinball Wizard' track :lol: (played during a challenge/stoppage of some kind).
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote: ... the Lions proved tonight that they are still the class of the west and the team to beat out there. Congrats on the win!
No sir, while I appreciate the compliment, I believe they need to prove that next week.
lion24
Legend

notahomer wrote:Agreed good recap Blitz. I really enjoyed the effort Washington gave on the Phillips pick, Mark looked beat and then its going the other way.

Maybe I'm being too tough but I think the BC recievers could have had a better game (dropped balls/fumble). I really think our defense dominated. As you noted Blitz, Banks was living up to your name.

I think Pinball did a smart thing by declining the penalty near the end of the first half. The Lions were only able to get off the one play but thankfully the headsup by the Argos didn't matter in the end....

Also, I did get a chuckle of the long 'Pinball Wizard' track :lol: (played during a challenge/stoppage of some kind).
I would agree that the receivers had a sub par game overall.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The B.C. defence won this game, as it won the last home game against Montreal. Jarious Jackson was 13-29 with no TD passes and no interceptions. He threw a lot of deep incompletions and one deep completion, where Paris Jackson got away with a pushoff. Jarious found holes in the intermediate zone for a couple of big plays by Geroy Simon and Jason Clermont, but as a quarterback he merely managed the game, avoiding turnovers and turning Toronto turnovers into B.C. field goals. He is getting more comfortable but he is not yet a good quarterback.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Andre Sadeghian has evidently moved ahead of Alexis Bwenge as backup Canadian running back. It seems to me Bwenge has not done much when you consider he was a first round draft pick.

I know Bwenge was very successful academically in college, and he might end up in government work, but, aside from playing on special teams, I would have to say his CFL career is a bit of a disappointment.

Checking the stats, I see Ricky Foley had 3 tackles and 1 sack. Good. Perhaps Ricky can develop into a very useful player on defense. I think his contributions on special teams are already significant.

Tad Crawford looks like he will be a contributor. He is so skinny. It was amusing to see when he got into that confrontation, he was thrown to the ground like a rag doll. Nevertheless, he looks like a keeper.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Great Game!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 01:15AM

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Workhorse running back Joe Smith plunged for two touchdowns as the B.C. Lions regained first place in the CFL West with a 40-7 victory over the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday.

Smith, who had 99 rushing yards and is within six of 1,000 for the season, now has 12 rushing touchdowns.

His clinching major made it 27-7 and it was set up by Ryan Phillips's league-leading eighth interception as the Lions turned a multitude of Toronto turnovers into points.

Defensive end Brent Johnson recovered a fumble by Toronto quarterback Michael Bishop after he was sacked for the second time by Cameron Wake and rambled 25 yards to the end zone.

B.C. took a 27-7 lead early in the fourth quarter after Mark Washington punched the ball away from Argo receiver Andre Talbot who leaped for a Bishop pass near midfield.

Phillips scampered 51 yards to the Toronto six yard line. Smith scored two carries later.

B.C. quarterback Jarious Jackson made his fourth consecutive start in place of veteran Dave Dickenson (concussion) and Buck Pierce (shoulder) and managed the game better than his Toronto counterpart.

He faced the league's top-rated pass defence but it was Bishop who was picked off three times.

Korey Banks's interception led to one of Paul McCallum's five field goals, the longest from 46 yards. McCallum added three converts while Toronto kicker Noel Prefontaine conceded two safeties.

Frank Murphy got the Argo touchdown on a one-yard reverse on third down. Phillips was called for pass interference on receiver Patrick Johnson to give Toronto possession on the Lions five yard line.

The win moved the 7-3-1 Lions one point ahead of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who lost 44-22 to the Calgary Stampeders.

Saskatchewan and the Lions meet in a first-place showdown next Saturday in Regina.

The loss ended a modest two-game win streak for the 4-7 Argonauts who last won here in 2002. It was also the first defeat in five starts this season for Bishop.

The Argos remain third in the East Division but are now one point behind the Edmonton Eskimos, who are fourth in the West and could cross over as the third playoff seed in the East.

The Lions led 12-0 at halftime on Smith's touchdown, a safety and McCallum's field goal, scored on B.C.'s first possession when three Argonauts penalties kept an 11-play drive alive.

Smith made it 10-0 in the second quarter when a career-high 56-yard Ian Smart punt return gave the Lions a short field at the Toronto 47.

Smart, who burned the Argos for a 76-yard kickoff return in the Lions 24-22 win in their season opener, was tripped up by Khalil Carter.

Smith then carried six times on the TD drive including the final three. He needed a second effort to punch the ball in on third down on the Toronto one yard line.

The Argos drove deep into B.C. territory twice in the first half they stalled on penalties and a Barron Miles interception.

NOTES: McCallum went over 100 points for the 11th straight season. ... Chris Hardy of the Argos and Tad Crawford of the Lions were ejected for a fracas on a punt return. ... Lions defensive back Ryan Phillips has more than 200 return yards off interceptions and the club record in that department. ... Jerry Bradley set the previous mark of 188 in 1970. ... The Lions have started a different quarterback from the previous week four times in the last eight
The win moved the 7-3-1 Lions one point ahead of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who lost 44-22 to the Calgary Stampeders.

Saskatchewan and the Lions meet in a first-place showdown next Saturday in Regina.
Lions defensive back Ryan Phillips has more than 200 return yards off interceptions and the club record in that department. ...

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... 0&writer=0
MacNews
Team Captain

-I could hear the PA system clearly tonight, was the volume on 11? 8)

-Paul McCallum was 5-5, great job Paul. :thup:

-JJ is looking better every game, as well as Smart :thup:

-How come every decent song (Party like a rockstar, for example) played over the PA has to be an instrumental version? Doesn't the DJ know there are clean versions for radio... :?

-I thought Pottinger looked more comfortable tonight (7 points allowed tonight..against Montreal last home game 14..)

-Simon could've had 2 TDs and 100 more yards tonight if...

A very entertaining game for the fans..I hope more show up next game!

P.S. I missed the TG of the year, how was the waterboy's visit?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

- Ryan Phillips should have intercepted the ball on Toronto first offensive drive. The ball sailed right through his hands. He's got to get those.

- Several breakdowns in the BC secondary with receivers being wide opened. Thank God, Bishop had an off night and over/under threw his receivers.

- Jay Pottinger seem to be gaining more confidence in playing middle linebacker.

- Several missed calls by the referee, the most noticeable was the grounding of the football by Bishop. The ball never crossed the line of scrimmage.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:-How come every decent song (Party like a rockstar, for example) played over the PA has to be an instrumental version? Doesn't the DJ know there are clean versions for radio... :?
...but great choice of tune after the Argos scored -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' "Even The Losers (Get Lucky Sometimes)".

Now all we need is the theme from Get Smart after Ian Smart makes a big play, with his teammates throwing blocks just like all those doors opening for Don Adams.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:Our team has a lot of work to do but the Lions proved tonight that they are still the class of the west and the team to beat out there. Congrats on the win!
Thanks Ravi. We must keep in mind that, as dreadful as Bishop looked at times a) he didn't have much time to throw all night, and most importantly b) he didn't have Arland Bruce (one of the top receivers in the league!) as well as Tony Miles to throw to. That's huge. I do like Frank Murphy though.
notahomer wrote:Also, I did get a chuckle of the long 'Pinball Wizard' track Laughing (played during a challenge/stoppage of some kind).
I didn't make the connection then, but I thought the in-house DJ played horrible music tonight. Mostly just bland, nameless, faceless rock music during most of the TV timeouts that did nothing to inspire the crowd. C'mon guy, it was Ladies Night tonight, not Wayne and Garth's basement stoner party. Play something to get the crowd jacked and the ladies in a good mood; something tried and true like Black Box's "Strike It Up" to name just one of 1,000 possible tunes. One of the few wise selections that worked was "Surfin' USA" while the crowd started the wave. But "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher? That kind of crap just helps drive the crowd to the exits with nearly a full quarter to go!
B.C. Fan wrote:The B.C. defence won this game, as it won the last home game against Montreal. Jarious Jackson was 13-29 with no TD passes and no interceptions. He threw a lot of deep incompletions and one deep completion, where Paris Jackson got away with a pushoff. Jarious found holes in the intermediate zone for a couple of big plays by Geroy Simon and Jason Clermont, but as a quarterback he merely managed the game, avoiding turnovers and turning Toronto turnovers into B.C. field goals. He is getting more comfortable but he is not yet a good quarterback.
I nearly always agree with your takes B.C. Fan, but not this time. I think you're being way too harsh. I would say Jarious has made tremendous strides for a guy who, up until recently, was a scout team QB in practice. Only now is he starting to become a take charge leader of this offence, developing real chemistry with his receivers, and is on the cusp of becoming a very good quarterback. He's got a lovely touch on his long ball and with better luck and fewer drops from his receivers, would have had at least 5-6 more completions tonight. And let's not sell the Argo defense short either. They simply don't give up many deep passing plays. When Wally was asked on the post-game show who's starting in Regina next week, he replied "Jarious" without the slightest hesitation.
WestCoastJoe wrote:Andre Sadeghian has evidently moved ahead of Alexis Bwenge as backup Canadian running back. It seems to me Bwenge has not done much when you consider he was a first round draft pick.

I know Bwenge was very successful academically in college, and he might end up in government work, but, aside from playing on special teams, I would have to say his CFL career is a bit of a disappointment.
Interesting take. Although I thought Sadeghian (who impressed me tonight) was a running back and Bwenge was a fullback. I wouldn't disagree about Bwenge, but I really don't think I've seen enough of him to judge (and there may be a reason why we haven't seen much of him). I thought he was the heir apparent to Lyle Green who may only be a year or two from retirement?

I almost wouldn't mind seeing Sadeghian play ahead of Ian Smart. While Smart has invaluable return skills, he doesn't hit the hole very hard as a running back and only seems to have success on misdirection/gadget plays. Most of the time he gets stuffed for 2-3 yard gains.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar