Carl Kidd Pays A Visit

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

:roll: Carl Kidd paid a visit to our Leos practice on Tuesday of this week. The viist was described as a social visit although the timing is interesting, in that our Leos have only had our long snapper as a backup, until they brought in an NFL cut in on the same day.

Certainly, if Carl Kidd has kept himself in shape, he would have been a good replacement to step in for one of our linebackers who was injured. While the best of Carl Kidd's days are gone, he knows our defense, he played very well on special teams last season right to the end, and he's a very inspirational player who would have really helped our defense, on a short term basis!

However, I could also look at this situation differently. I could consider Carl Kidd a distraction by showing up at a Leos practice. I could choose to think that his presence might make Jamal Johnson or another of our linebackers uncomfortable. I could say I hoped Rob Murphy didn't let him into the dressing room, just in case he was here to take someone else's position.

However, common sense has prevailed and it's good to see an ex-Leo return, even if Carl may have been hoping for a chance to step back onto the field again. I doubt Wally will provide that chance though..once he's made his decision not to resign a player he won't open that door again.

Have to admit that it would have been fun to see Carl step in there for a couple of games. I miss his witty trash talking, his ability to hype the action before a game, and the fire he played with. However, Head Coaches have no room for nostalgia!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blitz, I think the main reason for the timing of CK's visit was that he was already in town for a Monday Night Football appearance by himself and Geroy Simon at a Surrey sports pub -- he did a promotional interview on Pratt & Taylor last week. He indicated that he would be willing to go if called on, although from what I recall it wasn't clear if he was referring specifically to the Lions only or any CFL team that was ready to put up the coin.

Incidentally, with CP's signing by Hamilton still fresh news that day, Pratt also asked about him; Kidd expressed great confidence that Printers would quickly learn their offence.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

Blitz, I think the main reason for the timing of CK's visit was that he was already in town for a Monday Night Football appearance by himself and Geroy Simon at a Surrey sports pub -- he did a promotional interview on Pratt & Taylor last week. He indicated that he would be willing to go if called on, although from what I recall it wasn't clear if he was referring specifically to the Lions only or any CFL team that was ready to put up the coin.

Incidentally, with CP's signing by Hamilton still fresh news that day, Pratt also asked about him; Kidd expressed great confidence that Printers would quickly learn their offence.
Thanks for sharing the info sj-roc!! I think Carl would still love to play because he loved the game and of course he loved the Leos...and didn't want to retire.

I thought it was so great that the players asked him to speak at the final team dinner last year and also introduced him last for the Grey Cup game.

I think it's probably a long shot that Carl will play again in the CFL but one never knows!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Carl Kidd is one the all-time Holler Guys for any team. A great teammate. Not always easy for coaches, I am sure, but his heart was always in the right place. He gave it his all, and left it all on the field every single game. Carl was also wonderful with the kids and fans on the sidelines, a laugh a minute.

If you happen to read this, Carl, your presence is missed. Thank you for all your contributions to the BC Lions. You are one of the all-time Lions.

We wish you well in all your endeavours. :rockin:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Carl's heart still belongs to the game he loves, the teammates he went to war with, and the football club he won a Championship with last season, and although I personally have loved every minute I've seen of Jamal Johnson's helmet removing, bone jarring, knee crippling hits, I too would love to see Kidd come in short term to help out his old "band of brothers".

It couldn't have been easy for Carl to have had to swallow hard his pride and choke down the crushing reality of not being invited back to camp this season, after having giving his heart and soul to this team, and part with playing with some of his closest friends.

I think it has been just as painful for him to have watched us dropping like flys to injury as much as our organization, and its fans have anguished over in grief, knowing in his heart he still had the intensity to help this team.

His presence should be received in the same fashions it has been given in...

There are NFL cuts at mini camp, and although Wally has decided he has fallen behind the curve, I think he deserves a chance to compete with them for a backup role, as he is more familure with our system and still commands the respect of his ex-defensive teammates.

His presence in itself should inspire our team after the embarrassing loss on the road we all witnessed Sunday. We certainly could use a lift at this point in our season.

Carl (take out the trash talker) Kidd thanks for being there for us when you could help us the most! :rockin:

:thup: :thup: :thup:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:Carl Kidd is one the all-time Holler Guys for any team. A great teammate. Not always easy for coaches, I am sure, but his heart was always in the right place. He gave it his all, and left it all on the field every single game. Carl was also wonderful with the kids and fans on the sidelines, a laugh a minute.

If you happen to read this, Carl, your presence is missed. Thank you for all your contributions to the BC Lions. You are one of the all-time Lions.

We wish you well in all your endeavours. :rockin:
Couldn't have said it better.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Carl Kidd is easily one of my top 5 favorite BC Lions ever. His trash talk was second to none, his ability to hype a game in the week leading up to it made you just itch to get into the stadium on game day, his intensity and ability to fire up a crowd was tremendous. Carl also proved last year that he can still contribute in a lesser role. I always felt that Carl still had enough left in his tank to play for us again this season and I didn't like what Wally did with him. I still think that Carl would help us this year if he can get back in game shape and provide some depth and rotate in and out on certain plays given our injury riddled linebacking corps. Wish I was there to see him, it would have been great to see Carl.
kidder
Rookie

I would have loved to have heard that 1040 interview. I still miss him every game, before, during and after. Here's dreaming I'll see him wear Orange again ............. , and he makes it to Rick's Party so I can get his autograph, shake his hand, and thank him in person for all of the great memories ....................
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would love to see Carl back into the lineup if only for a few games.
rickhale
Starter

Carl Kidd became my fave lion when he PUT THE STOMP on that shmuck who went after Eric Carter after that playoff game. NUF SAID :rockin:
Pretty girls make us buy beer.
Ugly girls make us drink beer.
Al Bundy 1988
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

However, I could also look at this situation differently. I could consider Carl Kidd a distraction by showing up at a Leos practice. I could choose to think that his presence might make Jamal Johnson or another of our linebackers uncomfortable. I could say I hoped Rob Murphy didn't let him into the dressing room, just in case he was here to take someone else's position.
Let it go Blitz.....he's a Tiger Cat now...please let it go.