Charles Roberts to Beat the Lincoln Locomotive's Records

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The paper are noting today that Charles Roberts is about to surpass the Lincoln Locomotive Leo Lewis' 8681 yard rushing record. I gather the nickname came from a railway conductor telling someone about this great Nebraska football player and thus he ended up with the Bombers. What a player that guy was and no one is more fitting to break it than Charles Roberts.

LEO LEWIS - CFL Hall of Fame:
Elected as a Player, May 16, 1973. The Lincoln Locomotive played 11 seasons with the Blue Bombers ending in 1965. The six-time All-Star rushed for 8,861 yards and averaged 6.6 yards. He also returned kick-offs for 5,444 yards and a 29.1- yard average.

DOB: Feb. 4, 1933
Years Played: 1955-66
A dominating running back, Lewis was a six-time Divisional All-Star and a five-time recipient of the Bombers Most Outstanding Player Award, securing himself a position in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. The ‘Lincoln Locomotive’ still holds the Bombers record for Most Career Rushing Yards (8,861).

Charles Roberts #1 RB
HT: 5.06
WT: 171
Birthdate: 1979-04-03
Born: Montclair, CA
College: Sacramento State
Team: 7
CFL: 7

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=rost ... ros_id=187

Acquired: Signed by Winnipeg as a free agent on May 22, 2001.
2006: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Roberts’ (2006) season could be summed up in one word – wow. Starting all 18 regular season games for the Blue Bombers, he led the CFL in rushing yardage (1,609 yards), carries (303) and combined yardage (2,020 yards). It was the second straight season Roberts led the CFL in rushing and the third time in his career. Roberts scored a team best 10 TDs. Roberts topped the 100-yard rushing mark eight times in ’06, including two games with 150 yards or more, a remarkable accomplishment considering the number of changes the Bombers O-line went through during the season due to injuries. He had his finest game rushing on Sept. 24 @ Montreal when he had 159 yards on just 19 carries. Blink was also one of the team’s most dangerous and productive pass catchers. He was second on the team in receptions with 42 and fourth in receiving yardage with 302 yards. Roberts had his finest game of the season in 31-27 loss to the Toronto Argonauts in the CFL East Semifinal. He rushed for an amazing 179 yards and two TDs on 30 carries. His efforts didn’t go unnoticed. Roberts was the winner or co-winner of the CJOB Offensive Player of the Game Award on nine occasions during the regular season. He was also named to the CFL and East Division All-Star teams for the six time of his career. Roberts was the runner-up for the CFL’s Outstanding Player Award. He finished second to former Bomber and current B.C. Lions receiver Geroy Simon
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Leo Lewis got his nickname because of his running style (like a runaway train) and not from a railway conductor.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Leo Lewis got his nickname because of his running style (like a runaway train) and not from a railway conductor.
Lionking, thank you for stating the obvious....lol.

I may not have stated it correctly but yes..lol... how else would a football player get a name like that except for his running style and the fact he played football at Lincoln?

I am pretty sure the story is correct that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers got a tip from either a railway porter or conductor on him. I am pretty sure I recall that story more or less correctly. I am also sure he didn't get that nickname until he got to Canada. Remember Leo Lewis came from a black university in the 1950s so he was an unknown.

Here is all I can find on this on J. Robert Scott's blog:

http://behindblueskies.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html

"A couple of us were talking down at the water cooler the other day about who we thought the best player was ever to suit up in the blue and gold. Well, one name seemed to come to mind more often than the others. Leo Lewis (Blue Bomber 1955-66 ; 8861 yards still #1). He came here on the recommendation of a railway porter and in a little over 10 years helped take the Blue and Gold to 5 Grey cups (winning 4) before retiring.

Leo was the “Lincoln locomotiveâ€
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy