Hamilton jobbed again by officials

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
LFITQ wrote:NO the worst part is knowing that despite the "bad" reffing, Chris Bauman comes up with the catch where he was wide open and had the ball hit him right in the mitts at the end of the game, and we are all talking about Hamilton's comeback victory.
Exactly, he should have caught that ball. Hamilton would probably have won.
I tend to find that sort of thinking very overused by football fans. We see a play like that and say it cost us a game. It was one play. The way Edmonton defenders were closing Bauman would've picked up a few more yards, but he wasn't going to score. I don't recall what yard line he was at but given the line of scrimmage was the 24 there still would've been some work to do to get into what would be considered good FG range. A 40 yard gain on that play still leaves them looking at a 50+ yard FG attempt. The drop didn't cost them a victory, but it did cost them a good opportunity to TRY to win the game. They'd still have to try AND make a FG to win.
thing is, if he played it right, he could have made it an almost sure TD. One thing I dont get about pro receivers is they all seem to do the same thing. When a ball is thrown short, they just keep running fast as if hoping the ball will somehow miraculously(sp?) go further. All he had to do is recognize where the ball was going, slow down alot to give the ball a chance to catchup, then with proper timing, pick up speed again and catch over the shoulder going full speed. Then it would simply have been a footrace. I never see receivers do this for some reason. Worked for me almost everytime.
midwestlion
Starter

All he had to do is recognize where the ball was going, slow down alot to give the ball a chance to catchup, then with proper timing, pick up speed again and catch over the shoulder going full speed.

Duh thats "all" he had to do. WHy didnt he think of that? :bang: :roll:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:
All he had to do is recognize where the ball was going, slow down alot to give the ball a chance to catchup, then with proper timing, pick up speed again and catch over the shoulder going full speed.

Duh thats "all" he had to do. WHy didnt he think of that? :bang: :roll:
I never had a problem doing that. Is it unreasonable to expect pros to be able to do it??? As to why didnt he think of that, thats what I want to know.
midwestlion
Starter

I never had a problem doing that. Is it unreasonable to expect pros to be able to do it??? As to why didnt he think of that, thats what I want to know.
Based on you rresponse you either played college or pro ball. When a Qb goes back and throws a deep ball you assume that he is going to get it to you. NOt assume that he is going to be short.
wildthing
All Star

Bauman made a rookie mistake on the last play where PI wasn't called. He gave up and didn't try to fight for the ball. Had he, Morgan would have been penalized. It was a vetran DB schooling a rookie on the "loopholes" in the rules.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:
Based on you rresponse you either played college or pro ball. When a Qb goes back and throws a deep ball you assume that he is going to get it to you. NOt assume that he is going to be short.
no, never did. Just hundreds of hrs of flag and touch. When the ball is in the air and you are running a pattern, mechanics and thinking is still the same. I always figured it natural for receivers to be able to see where the ball was going once it was in the air, to be able to recognize right away that it was short, or outside, behind, etc. However, just because you assume the qb should get the ball to you doesnt mean you should not be able to recognize and adjust to it when it isnt. IMO. You think I am expecting too much??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:Bauman made a rookie mistake on the last play where PI wasn't called. He gave up and didn't try to fight for the ball. Had he, Morgan would have been penalized. It was a vetran DB schooling a rookie on the "loopholes" in the rules.
I thought he could have made more of an effort to get that second arm up. Not like he was actually handcuffed. Looked to me like it wouldnt have taken much to shake off the defenders "hold". Its as if he wanted the penalty more than the catch.
midwestlion
Starter

I always figured it natural for receivers to be able to see where the ball was going once it was in the air, to be able to recognize right away that it was short, or outside, behind, etc

Well let me help you out, because you confirmed my next post. With the sandlot reference and that is exactly what you are asking these professionals and coaches to do. Is to play sandlot ball. Pro offenses are 99 % about timing. THe other 1% is your jump ball scenario. Are you expecting too much. If you are a fan, you are doing your job. If you trying to post knowledgeably then I think you are little off with your "simple solution"
wildthing
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:
wildthing wrote:Bauman made a rookie mistake on the last play where PI wasn't called. He gave up and didn't try to fight for the ball. Had he, Morgan would have been penalized. It was a vetran DB schooling a rookie on the "loopholes" in the rules.
I thought he could have made more of an effort to get that second arm up. Not like he was actually handcuffed. Looked to me like it wouldnt have taken much to shake off the defenders "hold". Its as if he wanted the penalty more than the catch.
exactly he expected a flag with no effort to catch and that is where he got schooled. No attempt to get that arm up, no flag.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:
I always figured it natural for receivers to be able to see where the ball was going once it was in the air, to be able to recognize right away that it was short, or outside, behind, etc

Well let me help you out, because you confirmed my next post. With the sandlot reference and that is exactly what you are asking these professionals and coaches to do. Is to play sandlot ball. Pro offenses are 99 % about timing. THe other 1% is your jump ball scenario. Are you expecting too much. If you are a fan, you are doing your job. If you trying to post knowledgeably then I think you are little off with your "simple solution"
Why? Why could he not have done it the way I suggest. Is it because they are taught not too for some reason. Is it because most of them dont have that instinct? Is it unusual to be able to read early enough where the ball is going? Does perhaps the Helmet make it harder to visualize such things in advance?

BTW - playing "sandlot" worked very well for doug flutie.
midwestlion
Starter

When you are told to go on a fly thats exactly what that means "fly". Beat your your guy off teh ball. NOt go and start looking back for a short ball. If you look back, you are slowing down. After a certain time then you look back. I know what you are trying to say but it is not as simple as you make it sound.

Oh yeah and as far as Flutie. Um it is a lot easier to throw to someone after you tell them where to go vs. The WR running his own thing and the Qb guessing where hes goin to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:When you are told to go on a fly thats exactly what that means "fly". Beat your your guy off teh ball. NOt go and start looking back for a short ball. If you look back, you are slowing down. After a certain time then you look back. I know what you are trying to say but it is not as simple as you make it sound.

Oh yeah and as far as Flutie. Um it is a lot easier to throw to someone after you tell them where to go vs. The WR running his own thing and the Qb guessing where hes goin to be.
yeah, I see that. What I was trying to get at is that after they do look back and see the ball, they still keep running full speed. Thats what I dont get. In this case, he had more than enough steps ahead of the defender to slow down, and then speed up again. I dunno. Maybe it was easier for me because I was faster than everyone who defended me and could basically do what I wanted. NO brag, just fact. I guess maybe the mindset and coaching is to take into account the slower receivers and how they cant do what the faster ones can..I guess...maybe...I dunno. Maybe someday I should ask a coach.

Its like how when I ran a pattern that could loosely be called an upside down J, and the ball was thrown too far and behind me, so I took my eyes of the ball, turned my back, and turned the pattern into a question mark. I did this lots, then was surprised to hear commentators say how bad it was for the receiver to take his eyes off the ball at such times and be surprise when ever one did so and still caught the ball. I figured that for pros, it would be run of the mill, no big deal.
Last edited by KnowItAll on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

I never had a problem doing that. Is it unreasonable to expect pros to be able to do it???
You seriously want to compare what you did playing flag and touch football with what pro athletes are doing? You were joking right?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
I never had a problem doing that. Is it unreasonable to expect pros to be able to do it???
You seriously want to compare what you did playing flag and touch football with what pro athletes are doing? You were joking right?
no. Why is it wrong. Running a pattern and adjusting to badly thrown balls takes the same skills regardless of whether or not its tackle or touch or flag, doesnt it? Anyway, that what I am asking, why cant the pros do it? What makes it different? I only played two tackle games, but I didnt play any differently, except that I wasnt used to the uniform. Slowed me down some.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:

Come on. Receivers have to adjust to the ball all the time. Especially on long passes. Great if the QB has purrfect touch on every pass and drops it exactly where the receiver expects, but it's not unreasonable to expect a pro receiver to adjust to the ball.

QB's are under pressure, there is wind or wet balls to consider in outdoor stadiums.

Bauman could have adjusted better. It wasn't as difficult a reception to make as we've seen a million receivers do.