From the where are they now files - sort of

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Just alittle something I stumbled across that I never saw before. May be old news to others, I dunno, but for whatever its worth

http://www.raiderdrive.com/catching_up_ ... legend.htm

[quote]By David “MeRaiderâ€
Ravi
Legend

Fernandez actually began his pro career with the Lions in 1982. I don't believe he ever tried out for the Raiders before he left the Lions after the '86 season.

Can someone remind me again how his career ended in B.C. in '93? I seem to recall some kind of off-field incident involving exposure but I don't recall exactly whether that had anything to do with the end of his career or not.
Last edited by Ravi on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFITQ
Team Captain

To clarify the "charges" they were actually in 1991.

CHARGES:

Raiders WR Mervyn Fernandez pleaded not guilty to two felony indecent exposure charges stemming from an incident on Oct. 30 when he allegedly exposed himself to a woman from the balcony of his apartment. Deputy district attorney Ronald Geltz said Fernandez exposed himself "on two separate occasions" to a woman he had met earlier. .
This was his final season as a Lion:
In 1993, GM Eric Tillman re-signed Merv Fernandez with the Lions. Merv returned in 1994 to a team struggling under Danny McManus and Kent Austin. Among other things, the team had many great receivers and preferred to play a short, over the middle game. Against the Shreveport Pirates on August 27 Merv caught two passes for touchdowns and dropped a sure, third six points. His final 1994 game stats were 25 catches for 282 yards.
Source: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical ... Mervyn.htm
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

always thought he was a quiet timid kind of guy, dint realize he had such an ego

from a raiders.com interview
Q: We were talking about Tim Brown and how you were a mentor to him. Was there anyone that you would consider a mentor to you?

Mervyn Fernandez: No. When I was in high school I was always the starter, I was always the star of the team. When I went to college I was always the starter, I was always the star of the team. When I went to Canada, I was always the starter and the star of the team. So I was always the guy that everybody else looked up to. And when I came to the Raiders, I was a starter and that lasted for a while and then a young guy by the name of Tim Brown was breathing down my neck. That’s what happened with that.
Ravi
Legend

LFITQ wrote:To clarify the "charges" they were actually in 1991.

CHARGES:

Raiders WR Mervyn Fernandez pleaded not guilty to two felony indecent exposure charges stemming from an incident on Oct. 30 when he allegedly exposed himself to a woman from the balcony of his apartment. Deputy district attorney Ronald Geltz said Fernandez exposed himself "on two separate occasions" to a woman he had met earlier. .
This was his final season as a Lion:
In 1993, GM Eric Tillman re-signed Merv Fernandez with the Lions. Merv returned in 1994 to a team struggling under Danny McManus and Kent Austin. Among other things, the team had many great receivers and preferred to play a short, over the middle game. Against the Shreveport Pirates on August 27 Merv caught two passes for touchdowns and dropped a sure, third six points. His final 1994 game stats were 25 catches for 282 yards.
Source: http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical ... Mervyn.htm
What were the off-field issues then surrounding his second stint with the Lions?
Rammer
Team Captain

Same as the first.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:Same as the first.
Which were??? He left the Lions after the '86 season for the Raiders and more money. He didn't catch on with anybody after leaving the Lions in '93, did he?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fernandez never tried out with an NFL team before signing with the Lions.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Mervyn dropped out of San Jose State and was ineligible for the NFL draft so he signed with the Lions. The Raiders took him in the 10th round of the ’83 draft.