Pierce could use some time to heal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pierce could use some time to heal

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... a91f8a11fb

Some highlights from Lowell's article:

Staring into some unknown world on the floor of the Lions' locker room after their 32-27 win Saturday over the Calgary Stampeders, Buck Pierce was a picture of total dejection.

It had nothing to do with the result, of course, but the mere fact he has simply too many injuries to deal with at present.

"I just haven't been able to be healthy yet," he said shaking his head. "I'm just not healthy. I want to be out there all the time but to physically not be able to operate, that's really tough for me to handle."

Pierce's sore throwing hand isn't that much of a problem. His ribs are sore, but what actually put him out of the game in the second half was a case of recurring turf toe, according to trainer Bill Reichelt. Pierce didn't take an injection for the ribs before the game but elected to do so at halftime, which prompted his late return.

Now it is Jarious' turn. Two years ago when Jarious was pencilled in as backup to Dave D, his injury in preseason gave Buck his chance. Now Buck has returned the favor. Jarious just might be ready this time to do some really good things with his opportunity. Meantime it gives Buck some much-needed time to get healthier.
Tighthead
Legend

Was the turf toe bothering Buck before the game? If so, he shouldn't have started. Of course, you can make a good case that he shouldn't have started in the condition he was in regardless of the foot.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Most of us here I thin wondered why the rush to play Buck only to see him not able to finish another game. Granted he did enough to keep this game tied at the half and got another half of game action.

His stats weren't bad in terms of completions when compared with Jarius Jackson's 3 for 7 but the difference in that second half was the running of Joe Smith and the blocking he got in the 3rd Q. Wally told CBC at the half that he wanted more intensity and it showed in the offence that they got the message and played like they were on fire early in the third and that set the tone for the balance of the game.

I thought if the Lions were ripe for picking, yesterday was the day. Now with the Riders coming off their trouncing of the Esks, you'd have to say once again a more banged up crew of Lions is even riper for the pickings. What is the saving grace for BC is that those changes on defence didn't hurt them much as the backups played pretty good against Calgary when it was clear that there was still a game to be won.

I'd like nothing better for Pierce to start the next game and Jackson to watch to start and then come in if needed. However, is Buck too banged up necessitating a Jackson start? This of course is likely the dilemma in the the minds of the coaches this week as assess the Pierce injuries.

You have to like Buck's two nice runs and he didn't look hurt on them but that turf toe might have got added too. Jackson had his own brilliant escape when 3 Stamps should have had him and he ran for a nice gain.

From BC Lions site:

"Five-and-oh because we keep fighting," Jackson said. "It was a 50-50 chance whether I had to play today or not. Being No. 2 or No. 3, you have to be prepared regardless. I knew the game plan."

"Jackson completed three of seven passes, including 24-yard and 15-yard strikes to Geroy Simon and Cory Rodgers respectively in relief of Pierce, whose mobility was hampered by a sore toe and ribs.

BC running back Joe Smith rushed for 112 yards, including a 38-yard scamper for a TD. Paul McCallum kicked field goals from 37, 19 and 29 yards.

Pierce was 7-for-14 for 74 yards and was intercepted once."

It looks like Buck needs to heal up from the sounds of the story in the paper. I just can't put my finger on it but somehow Buck is not looking as comfortable as he did in his rookie season when he was playing far, far above where he should have been for a rookie and then he did it again last year.

If there is nothing going on with respect to confidence in the game plan, time to make the reads, etc. I can only think it comes down to injuries in more body parts than will allow for top performance.

I think Jackson does better in spots and coming off the bench than Buck who has proven he can start.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Most of us here I thin wondered why the rush to play Buck only to see him not able to finish another game. Granted he did enough to keep this game tied at the half and got another half of game action.

His stats weren't bad in terms of completions when compared with Jarius Jackson's 3 for 7 but the difference in that second half was the running of Joe Smith and the blocking he got in the 3rd Q. Wally told CBC at the half that he wanted more intensity and it showed in the offence that they got the message and played like they were on fire early in the third and that set the tone for the balance of the game.
It did...but I thought Buck still doesn't look his usual self. Of course, when you're fighting off a sore hand, bruised ribs (frozen at half time) and turf toe it doesn't help to get back to the play we are accustomed to. Buck isn't looking confident in his reads this season and has missed receivers, especially deep.

Jarious scored two passing touchdowns yesterday because he looks downfield. He needs to work on his dump offs and coming back underneath. All of our quarterbacks this season have not been on their game, in terms of reads and missing open receivers. One could expect it with Jarious because he's played so little but Dickenson and Buck have missed many more than in past seasons.

Wally pointed it out at half time yesterday..that we were leaving plays on the field on offence. It's not as if our receivers are being covered...we have at least one wide open each play...we just have to get better at our quarterback decision making.

Turf toe injuries worry me. Many of them don't heal easily and they can become worse...it's a ligament sprain or tear and they come in degrees. Printers really made his turf toe worse by playing on it and getting it shot before each game in 2004 and then required surgery.

I hope we can let Buck heal up a little before playing him again. I realize that starting Jarious against the Riders is a tough thing to put on him, with his limited reps as a quartreback with our Leos but right now it makes the most sense! We've usually put injured quarterbacks in there too early!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I really didn't want Buck to start yesterday's game, when you've got a QB that has three separate injuries and it's still early in the season you need to give him time to heal. That didn't happen and now we're down to Jarious.

I could understand if we were heading into a playoff game or a key divisional game down the stretch, but a game in July shouldn't have necessitated starting a badly beaten up QB, especially when our #1 is still a long way off from playing himself. I was worried that Buck was going to aggrivate something if he played and look what happened. When I saw him running the ball on seemingly every possession and taking big hits I cringed, somebody needs to tell our QBs to slide before they get hit.

I'll say it again hoping that the third time actually is the charm, please, for the love of God...START JARIOUS!!! I said to start Jarious against Hamilton and I said to start him against Calgary, now, as a result, we've got our de facto number 1 even more hurt that he needs to be just 5 games into the year with injuries that may be nagging him the rest of the season. :x
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

I was surprised that Buck started yesterday. If we are to rest him Jackson is more than capable of filling in. He has really impressed me in releif of DD & Buck
Lets Go Lions!
MacNews
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Buck isn't looking confident in his reads this season and has missed receivers, especially deep.
You can say that again, DD and JJ have also missed open guys frequently this season. If I'm Steff Krucks that's the first thing I work on is finding open receivers..I mean I have some criticisms of the OC-by-committee approach too but if those QBs find the wide-open receiver this post doesn't exist.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Was the turf toe bothering Buck before the game? If so, he shouldn't have started. Of course, you can make a good case that he shouldn't have started in the condition he was in regardless of the foot.
Buck should rest. Get JJ to start the game vs Sask. If I recall, turf toe injury was the begining of the end for Roy Dewalt's career. Buck deserves a rest. With the injuries, he doesn't look very comfortable in the pocket.