The Wrecking Crew!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maddeep73
Champion

Good to see Jiminez starting to get some credit for his excellent work at right tackle last season!

Too things here.

1. Murphy outshone him big time. Not Jiminez's fault here.
2. He took too many (4 or 5 maybe??) penalties after the whistle. If he still plays mean, but cuts the stupid stuff out?? Then he will get his due this year.
Keepin' it real
Blitz
Team Captain

didn't see Jiminez being outshone by Murphy bigtime. I had thought both were doing terrific jobs during the season. But the media had to play up one or the other to reward our vastly improved O-line and Jiminez's series of undisciplined rough play calls in the later part of the season, I think tipped the balance to Murphy's favour, (and the balance sheet of his bank account!) Jiminez has become sort of the forgotten man there, and his efforts should be rewarded as well.
You have a keen eye for offensive lineman's abilities John Henry! A few penalties by Jiminez didn't kill our season and they were hustle penalties that came a split second after the whistle. Those can be corrected. However, I also admire an offensive lineman who hustles 25 yards downfield to unload on a guy...all Jiminez needs is to work on his timing on those downfield blocks and curb his overaggressiveness.

However, when you look at the blocks that Jiminez made for Smith last season and how good a job he did at pass blocking overall. It's easy to focus on a couple of negatives to brand a player but when you look at the big picture Jiminez is one of the most physical offensive lineman in the league and is no treat to play against.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Also helping Murphy was the media focus on his dominating Joe Montford to the point of Montford going for the "crackers".

It would be interesting to hear Dorazio's take and see what his grading system rang up for all the o-lineman in 2006.
Lloyd
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Also helping Murphy was the media focus on his dominating Joe Montford to the point of Montford going for the "crackers".

It would be interesting to hear Dorazio's take and see what his grading system rang up for all the o-lineman in 2006.
One of the highlights last year Shizi... Murphy turning Montford into a little girl. I believe his/her career was over after that. :wink:
lionsfan60
prospect

Blitz, I could not agree more with your assesment of the o line. Even after these first four games, where our offense could have done much better, these guys continue to play better. Yes, a couple of sacks here, a missed assignment there, but overall there is improvement this season over last year. Everyone has to remember that what you see isn't always what happens. For example, if the person next to you, or the running back, or the tight end doesn't handle their blocking assignment properly, it sometimes looks as if the linemen are not doing their job.

Make no mistake about it, we could and should play better, and as the season continues, we will do just that, but for the people on the line, the important thing for them is how they are graded. And so far, going all the way back to the start of last season, your tackles have only had three games where they graded under 90%! In any event, I wanted to let you know that I am a fan from the US, and I am able to make a few games a year in BC. I liked your "wrecking crew" thread so much, that I have had t-shirts made sporting such.

I will be bringing a limited supply of them to the game on August 2, and wanted to meet up with you prior to the game, perhaps at the lionbackers pre-game set up, to present you with one. It's a nice looking shirt that sports the "BC Wrecking Company" on a large wrecking ball on the front....and "The Wrecking Crew" on the back with each of the starting offensive lineman's name and number...and this comment on the bottom "Dismantling Defenses Since 2006". Who know's, I may even be able to get one autographed for you from all the starters on the line?

Anyway, I am hoping that we can take this "Wrecking Crew" to new heights - And to be there to see the Wrecking Crew beat up on Fred Perry (payback) is just going to further add to the fun. So, let me know if you will be at the Roughriders game. :rockin:
Blitz
Team Captain

I will lionsfan60 and either way please save one for me! I think it's cool that you got t-shirts made that feature offensive lineman. It's a real true orange and black, die hard, passionate Leos fan that will buy a t-shirt that features our offensive linemen, rather than some ballet dancin' reciever or a press hoggin' quarterback, or a back that gets the sports clips at night for 2 yard touchdown runs!

The Wrecking Crew rules!!! :rockin: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Offensive linemen represent the true passion and meaning of the game...teamwork, helping others, unselfish committment to winning, never needing recognition, sacrifice. They are the true heroes of football and I'd be not only proud to wear the t-shirt and also would prefer to pay for it.

Just think what this could lead to....Kelly Bates bobble head giveaway night? :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

That shirt sounds awesome!!! I wish I was going to that game cuz I'd like to pick one up too.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Just think what this could lead to....Kelly Bates bobble head giveaway night?
Will it come with the GC in his hands? Broken in half... :wink:
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Blitz
Team Captain

Will it come with the GC in his hands? Broken in half...
Blitz
Team Captain

The 'Wrecking Crew' continues to get more impressive the more we learn about them! The Vancouver Sun did a Q & A with Jason JIminez today.

Jiminez is fluent in English, Spanish and, to some extent, German and in the off-season he took a night school in Mandarin! When asked why Jason said (as quoted in the Vancouver Sun "It's a language spoken by a billion people. The way I see it, there are more honour students, more academics, more savants, more brilliant minds in China than in the rest of the western world put together. China is the country of the future. Basically, the Chinese own us [Americans]. They could empty our treasury if they wanted to collect on their debts. It behooves me to know what they know because I believe China is going to dominate the rest of this century"

The article also noted that the last book Jiminez read was by rogue economist Steven D. Levitt and that Jason reads anything he can get his hands on-especially current events.

What's hard to believe is that Jiminez drives a Toyota Yaris!! He says he's tight with his money but "not as cheap as Joe Smith"!!

Lots of character on this offensive line!! :rockin:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Who of the "Wrecking Crew" will be next to be standout or if you will outstanding?

I think it will be our veteran centre "Black Angus Reid" for he has really come into his own since last season now that his two anchor tackles have brought out the best in his line mates Kelly, and Sherko's game.

The guys play with an edge now, but we got to be careful about the intensity of our aggression!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

I think it will be our veteran centre "Black Angus Reid" for he has really come into his own since last season now that his two anchor tackles have brought out the best in his line mates Kelly, and Sherko's game.
Angus Reid's strength is something else!! I haven't focused on Sherko that much at guard this season but he's the biggest guy on our offensive line and I'm going to take a closer look in the Calgary game!

By the way Jiminez hasn't had a rough play penalty this season so far. He's been very disciplined in his play..so much for that worry!

Looks like Pierce is perhaps not going to wear any extra padding under his flak jacket against Calgary. With a turf toe and a hand that is still a little sore..we're going to need to protect him because they will be coming. Joe Smith will also need a good game blocking and 'The Wrecking Crew' will need to open some holes for the running game!
Blitz
Team Captain

I will be bringing a limited supply of them to the game on August 2, and wanted to meet up with you prior to the game, perhaps at the lionbackers pre-game set up, to present you with one. It's a nice looking shirt that sports the "BC Wrecking Company" on a large wrecking ball on the front....and "The Wrecking Crew" on the back with each of the starting offensive lineman's name and number...and this comment on the bottom "Dismantling Defenses Since 2006". Who know's, I may even be able to get one autographed for you from all the starters on the line?
I''ll be at the Riders game on Thursday night after all lionsfan60... so will see you there!! Looking foreward to the Wrecking Crew laying some major pain on Mr. Perry!

I'm hoping that we can run at Perry a lot this game...there will be some emotion in this game and I have a feeling that Jiminez will especially be pumped!! :twisted:
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Blitz wrote:
too would like to see a commitment to a running game. We don't need to run it as often as they do in the NFL but enough to keep the defence off balance. This will open up the passing game as well.
I really think we will TheLionKing. It also helps out 'huge' for play action!
i agree
Lets Go Lions!