Keys To Our Great Start This Season!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

We're 5-0, won three big games on the road in Toronto, Saskatchewan, and Calgary, and had to use all three of our quarterbacks to do it. Here our some keys to our great start of '07

DEFENSE

1. REPACING WILSON/KIDD

The biggest question mark going into this season was replacing Chris Wilson and Carl Kidd on defense. I wasn't worried about it at all and had always considered Wilson a project who was overrated. Cameron Wake has been a tremendous find and played very, very well. I loved Jamal Johnson from his first practice with the Leos over two seasons ago. This guy hits a ton, is fast, and can cover..he's only going to get better.

2. MOVING PHILLIPS BACK TO HALFBACK

Our Leos should never have moved Phillips to nickel last season...he's a ball hawking defensive back that is meant for the wideside halfback spot. Phillips (typo changed) has been the missing piece for our secondary while Washington has been solid at nickel.

3. DEFENSIVE BACK DEPTH

We lost one defensive back to injury in 2005 and our winning streak, created mostly be defensive turnovers, went downhill in a hurry as we striggled to find a replacement. Not this season! Knowlton, Clovis, Crawford, Mitchell, and Dennis give us great depth. Bo Smith is still hanging around and he could yet get his chance and he has a lot of talent.

OFFENCE

1. RUNNING THE FOOTBALL

Championship teams can run the football. It protects leads, wears down defenses, keeps defenses guessing, and allows offensive lineman to play aggressive. Signing Sherko Rasouli as our starting right guard was a key to the running attack and was getting Murphy's name on a contract. We have a big, aggressive offensive line and a tremendous power back in Smith. Having to use three quarterbacks for our first five wins, the running game has been a reliable, important piece of our offense to turn to.

2. USING THE TWO BACK SET

Last season we didn't use the two back set at all. This season we've used it with Smith at fullback/Smart at tailback a number of times. Last game we used Green at fullback and Smith at tailback in the second half. It's a formation I've been pleading for, especially using Lyle Green. Green opened up holes for Smith with some key blocks, it allowed us to change our blocking scheme, and Smith ran for some huge yardage, including his big touchdown run.

3. JARIOUS JACKSON

Wally was looking to trade Jackson at training camp. Smart Lionbackers realized that we would need Jackson this season. Jackson has come in off the bench, with both Dickenson and Pierce hurt and put the football in the end zone. Without him we would have been in difficulty. His value continues to increase.

Of course there are many reasons why we've been successful so far. However, these are some of the key reasons for our great start to date!
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
LFITQ
Team Captain

Wilson has been the missing piece for our secondary
:? :? This I don't get... If you are saying his pass rush is missingthis year then I don't get whee the drop off has been with Wake? Me thinks there be a typo in this statement.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Blitz
Team Captain

I wouldn't have gotten it if I was reading it either LFITQ..and I went back and changed it...thanks for pointing it out!

Any thoughts on this topic??
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
lion24
Legend

If you watched after Smith's TD he was trying to get the cameraman to focus on Green as he said it was Green who opened up the lane for him to get the TD!! So I think that goes to show how his teammates view Green. I think the pressure up front gave the young guys filling in the defensive backfield a chance and even though there were some missed coverages and some receivers WIDE open at times plays were made in the redzone when needed? The difference I see in this run that differs greatly frm 2005 is the lack of fighting between Qb's as they are all picking up for and pulling for each other and the team has maintained a "team" atmosphere which has gotten them through their rash of injuries.

You can see that JJ can run the offence it is just that he is rusty at times from lack of game action. Hopefully, the Lions start JJ next week and allow Pierce to heal as Buck will never have a chance to play at full strength if he lets his pride get in the way. That is not to say i don't admire his effort and willingness to play through pain but having JJ around he now should have a little confidence he does not need to rush back too soon.

One thing that worried me was the lack of solid tackling after the Stamps catches especially late in the game. If the secondary is going to give up yardage with all the relative newcomers in the defensive backfield they will have to make sure to wrap up the receivers much more effectively.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Both Brent Johnson and Cameron Wake were awesome against Calgary. Joe Smith has been money this season ( i thought we might have seen a bit more of Ian Smart last night though) Jarious Jackson has really impressed me in relief of DD and Buck. I Completly agree about Ryan Phillips he has had a great start to the year.
Lets Go Lions!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Pretty much bang on as usual Blitz

What encouraged me more than anything yesterday was what I saw in terms of the receivers, especially Geroy. While not his best performance ever, there was a bit of the old swagger back in his step. 75 yards and the TD may not sound like much but he seemed engaged and that gives me optimism. Getting a pass to Rogers in the end zone was a good thing too. He has had some problems with the dropsies and hauling one in gave both those guys a needed boost. As for Joe Smith, what can you say. The guy was carried off on a stretcher a week ago and rushes for more than 100 yards yesterday? If there is anything that guys can feed off of, it is that.
Lastly, glad to see Green get back in but I still think they could use him more. He is pretty unsung and deserves to get a taste of the ball now and again.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What is even more amazing about Joe Smith's performance last night was the fact that he had to attend his grandmother's funeral and had to fly to Calgary to play the game.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Your right! I had completely forgotten about that. Man, there are so many stories from that game yesterday that you could write.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Quesdad
Champion

Blitz I guess another factor is the fire in Wallys eyes and the teams committment to it. I got the feeling at breakfast Saturday that even if he put me in they would win it for him. The love for Wally is in the air so thick you could cut it with a knife! All the Stampeder fans I spoke to were of one mind "you win win with our coach!" Everything I believe about the intangibles are coming to the surface, The Lions win because the fire that burns in Wallys heart has ignited all even my mutual old guy Dave...I want another for the gipper attitude. I don't think I've ever seem the intensity....at breakfast come on time out!!! but they wamted this game even if the horses dragged them off the field. Nothing but a win was the air we breathed. All us Waterboys, with the years we have followed the team we're amazed...I believe the intensity to win the cup this year is way beyond last year. These guys are on a quest and it has nothing to do with their jobs or money ( refer my comments on Clermont other topic). This time is looking at destiny and we as fans aren't even close when we dissect plays...I really don't care what happens now, because up close I've heard, seen and believe this is the most focussed team of Lions I've seen in the last 44 years ( sorry Al but its true and Lui mt wife may still love you but you have to admit the air is charged. So win or loose I like the intensity and drive and I'm glad the "Gods" gave us Wally to divine the truth!!! (Inside comment to wally when he reads this tomorrow) Yes guys he's the lurker..sorry Wally but it was time!!
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Blitz how do u not get typers cramp(writers cramp) after writing essays for ur posts?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Rammer
Team Captain

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:Blitz how do u not get typers cramp(writers cramp) after writing essays for ur posts?
I hope that you aren't feeling them after your posts Brian. :) :tease:
Entertainment value = an all time low