Getting Ready For The Stampeders!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm a big fan of Vic Rapp. Loved listening to his post game interviews. Didn't pull any punches and said what was on his mind. Refreshing.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
One thing I'll say about Vic Rapp...no coach could teach and coach the running game like he could! He was outstanding at it!
This was about the time when Larry Key was leading the league with over a eight hundred plus yards on the ground as top rusher going into September IIRC.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

Yeaaah....Lowell Ullrich did a feature article on my favorite Leo defensive player Jamal Johnson today. I've been waiting patiently for Jamal to get his opportunity for a long time. Loved the guy as a linebacker from his first practice with the Leos as you're aware!

Jamal was inserted into an unfamiliar linebacker position last week against Hamilton. He played his regular linebacker spot on first downs and then switched to the unfamiliar spot of playing Pottinger's (Floyd) position on second downs with Pottinger struggling.

"Jamall has been a terror," coach Wally Buono said (Province quote)

Carl Kidd was my favorite Leos for years. Johnson had great respect for Kidd and perhaps that also held him back some in the past. Good things always happened on the few occasions that Jamal entered football games prior to this season. He's always been around the football and he can hit a ton!!

Lionbacker posters certainly noticed his play against Hamilton and he was also on the field more. He forced a turnover with a big tackle, shed three blocks to tackle Lumsden on a slip screen and chased a play down 35 yards downfield. He has 9 special team tackles this season..he had 5 for all of last season. Benevides said. "It's Jamall's time to shine."

Jamal Johnson's new nickname may become the "quiet assassin"! He may be quiet and laid back off the football field but he's one fast, tough dude on it! I'm looking forward to seeing him lay a good hit on Reynolds on Saturday!

I'm "jammin' witsh you" Jamal!! :rockin:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Some interesting individual stats going into the Calgay game:

Jamal Johnson is second in the league in special team tackles with 9.

Ian Smart is the league's leading kick returner in total yards and has the best average at 25 yds a return. Smart is also second in punt returns.

Jason Clermont is third in the league in pass receiving.

Brent Johnson leads the league in sacks with 5 and Cameron Wake is tied for second with 4 sacks.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sirona
prospect

Just a side note, Pottinger was not taken out and replaced by Johnson because he was struggling. He went off to have an overextended elbow strain bandaged , which was injured in the game the week before when he went in to replace Otis Floyd. He had to sit out for the required plays before returning
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Looks like we'll get to see Mitchell at corner in place of Dante. Mitchell was a track star in college... will be interesting to see him on SP too. It's going to be a tough game to win with all our injuries, a key miss will be Otis Floyd for sure.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:Looks like we'll get to see Mitchell at corner in place of Dante. Mitchell was a track star in college... will be interesting to see him on SP too. It's going to be a tough game to win with all our injuries, a key miss will be Otis Floyd for sure.
IMHO, with Mitchell being a raw rookie, we may miss Dante Marsh more.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Larry Key wrote:Looks like we'll get to see Mitchell at corner in place of Dante. Mitchell was a track star in college... will be interesting to see him on SP too. It's going to be a tough game to win with all our injuries, a key miss will be Otis Floyd for sure.
Well Mitchell played well enough to impress during Dante's previous injury, but being on the corner, we will find out soon enough if he makes the grade or not. Burris has an arm to exploit him if he isn't covering close enough.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Well Mitchell played well enough to impress during Dante's previous injury, but being on the corner, we will find out soon enough if he makes the grade or not. Burris has an arm to exploit him if he isn't covering close enough.
It's tough to say how Mitchell will do, as we only have preseason to go by........with Calgary's receivers and Burris' arm........logic says that Mitchell will be the weak link that they will look to exploit.
Lloyd
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Blitz wrote:Some interesting individual stats going into the Calgay game:

Jamal Johnson is second in the league in special team tackles with 9.

Ian Smart is the league's leading kick returner in total yards and has the best average at 25 yds a return. Smart is also second in punt returns.

Jason Clermont is third in the league in pass receiving.

Brent Johnson leads the league in sacks with 5 and Cameron Wake is tied for second with 4 sacks.
You forgot to add that Joe Smith is second in the league with 321 rushing yards (he's on pace for 1444 yards and 22 combined TDs).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mitchell is an outstanding defender and is likely the fastest player on the team. The Lions lose some experience with Marsh out of the lineup, but not much else. Mitchell could be a secret weapon. If Calgary tries to go after him, he could take one back the other way.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Mitchell is an outstanding defender and is likely the fastest player on the team. The Lions lose some experience with Marsh out of the lineup, but not much else. Mitchell could be a secret weapon. If Calgary tries to go after him, he could take one back the other way.
Closing speed is only one aspect of a DB's game.........inexperience is a huge factor........just ask Marsh in 2004.
Lloyd
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I have to admit that I'm very concerned about this game. Given all of our injuries and inexperienced replacements, this might not be pretty. :no:
Blitz
Team Captain

Closing speed is only one aspect of a DB's game.........inexperience is a huge factor........just ask Marsh in 2004.

B.C. Fan is right...Mitchell is fast, he also has good anticipation skills! The surprise for me is that the Leos have switched Glover to short side corner and moved Mitchell to wideside corner. I imagine this will be a change that could last for a while, since Marsh could be out for a few games.

I would have thought the Leos would have inserted Mitchell right into short side corner, since he has practiced there and played there during the exhibition season. This change means two changes to the defense and then Glover will have to move back to wideside corner when Marsh returns.

I think they should have tried Mitchell as short side corner first in game action before making this move.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

B.C. Fan is right...Mitchell is fast, he also has good anticipation skills! The surprise for me is that the Leos have switched Glover to short side corner and moved Mitchell to wideside corner. I imagine this will be a change that could last for a while, since Marsh could be out for a few games.

I would have thought the Leos would have inserted Mitchell right into short side corner, since he has practiced there and played there during the exhibition season. This change means two changes to the defense and then Glover will have to move back to wideside corner when Marsh returns.

I think they should have tried Mitchell as short side corner first in game action before making this move.
But isn't the reason for the switch obvious?.......you play the experienced guy at the hot corner.
Lloyd