CFL Award for Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly conduct?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

The NHL is presenting its individual player awards tomorrow and there's one award that does not seem to have an exact CFL equivalent and that is the one that is presented for sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct. According to the NHL, the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.

I suppose what is considered sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct can be subjective, but one way would be staying out of the penalty box. I would also assume a player who was fined or suspended at any time throughout the season would automatically be disqualified from being nominated for that award. But at the same time, the player must have a huge impact on the ice as well, not just off the ice.

Of the six major CFL player awards, none of them recognize the exact same conditions. I know that the Tom Pate Memorial Award has some similar criteria: The recipient should embody the qualities; qualities that recognize a player with outstanding sportsmanship, who has made a contribution to his team, as well as, to his community Association, similar to Tom Pate who had a unique combination of outstanding sportsmanship and dedication to the league and the community.

However, while the description mentions a player's off-field activities and on-field leadership, it doesn't really emphasize a very high standard of playing ability at the same time. Therefore, gentlemanly players who had sub-par seasons can also qualify. For example, Danny McManus won the award in 2005 even though he had a fairly bad season with his team going 5-13 and he threw for only 2,544 yards and 11 touchdowns, and spent much time on the bench. And unlike the NHL's Lady Byng Memorial Trophy and other individual CFL awards, the Tom Pate award does not come down to two finalists. Instead, all eight teams nominate players and voting is done by the CFLPA instead of the Football Reporters of Canada.

If there was an award in the CFL that had the exact same criteria as the Lady Byng award of the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability, who would you nominate on each team for 2006? My selections would be:

BC - Brent Johnson
Calgary - Sandro DeAngelis
Edmonton - Jason Tucker
Saskatchewan - Reggie Hunt
Winnipeg - Milt Stegall
Hamilton - Rob Hitchcock
Toronto - Michael O'Shea
Montreal - Bryan Chiu
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Definately Rob Murphy. He seems a very gentlmanly sort...just ask him about his hockey playing days.

:wink:
smphantom
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:Definately Rob Murphy. He seems a very gentlmanly sort...just ask him about his hockey playing days.

:wink:
Just ask him about getting his toes drilled! :paw:

Read the gory details here
Stay thirsty my friends.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

What..no pics of the trophies?

Your slacking Robbie.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
lion24
Legend

:wink: what the heck, you missed AJ Gass from the Esks? :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:What..no pics of the trophies?
Well, I think I posted enough pictures of the individual CFL and NHL trophies already on this thread:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... 1&start=15
AJ Gass from the Esks
Good call.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Quote:
AJ Gass from the Esks

Good call.
u *frig* serious, you realize he was joking?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
lion24
Legend

Yank In BC wrote:
Quote:
AJ Gass from the Esks

Good call.
no.......i am quite serious and while we are at it give Ed Philion the lifetime achievement for sportsmanship and fair play! :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
Yank In BC wrote:
Quote:
AJ Gass from the Esks

Good call.
no.......i am quite serious and while we are at it give Ed Philion the lifetime achievement for sportsmanship and fair play! :wink: :wink:
AJ Gass was fined last year for kicking Brock Ralph, Ed Philion injured many, and you may remember what Rocket Ismail did on the Argos bench in 1991 when he stomped on a Calgary player's head. QB David Archer was fined as a member of the Eskimos once for an altercation, and David Williams wasn't popular as a Lion because of his deplorable attitude.

Okay everyone, let's get back on topic now. :yes:
MacNews
Team Captain

What about Geroy..even his touchdown celebrations are classy.
nelson95
Legend

Nothing sportsman like about football...and thats good
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:Nothing sportsman like about football...and thats good
:whs: :thup:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

An okay thread, Robbie. But regarding the topic in question, the fact that it shows Brent Johnson and Danny McManus makes one wonder whether it is Johnson or McManus who is the focal point design. One might think that the topic is praising McManus for his lady byng abilities and in this case, getting off a off field example just before he will be sacked by Johnson

Mod edit: We are all entitled to our opinions. There's no need to criticize the thread topic.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
lion24
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:An okay thread, Robbie. But regarding the topic in question, the fact that it shows Brent Johnson and Danny McManus makes one wonder whether it is Johnson or McManus who is the focal point design. One might think that the topic is praising McManus for his lady byng abilities and in this case, getting off a off field example just before he will be sacked by Johnson
ouch!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Quote edited for content.
maddeep73
Champion

I think main reason that this would never happen is that the players would certainly make fun of the winner.

I mean, who would want to be the most gentlemanly football player? You would be known as the king of the wusses.
Keepin' it real