Will Buck Wait?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maddeep73
Champion

This has been on my mind for a few days since DD's signing.

In a league where he is probably in the top 5 quaterbacks, will Buck Pierce be truly content to wait 2 years (or more) to get his crack as an everyday starter?? I know the type of guy he is, but these are his prime years, aren't they in danger of being wasted? Even when DD goes down this year (as we all know he will) is it enough to be the 'fill in' guy?

And while I'm on it... with a fairly competant Jarious Jackson, and Wally/Obie's uncanny abilities to scout, sign and mentor QB's, is it maybe time for the Lions to rip off an Eastern team, starving for a starter?

How about Buck for a top notch rush end and a Canadian receiver??

Heck, I'm not sure where I stand on this really, but it seems to me that a great talent may not get his chance with a team that is clearly committed to it's veteren starter.
Keepin' it real
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:This has been on my mind for a few days since DD's signing.

In a league where he is probably in the top 5 quaterbacks, will Buck Pierce be truly content to wait 2 years (or more) to get his crack as an everyday starter?? I know the type of guy he is, but these are his prime years, aren't they in danger of being wasted? Even when DD goes down this year (as we all know he will) is it enough to be the 'fill in' guy?

And while I'm on it... with a fairly competant Jarious Jackson, and Wally/Obie's uncanny abilities to scout, sign and mentor QB's, is it maybe time for the Lions to rip off an Eastern team, starving for a starter?

Heck, I'm not sure where I stand on this really, but it seems to me that a great talent may not get his chance with a team that is clearly committed to it's veteren starter.
Just because DD signed for 3 years, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Lions intend to have him as their starting QB for the next 3 years.

Wally B's MO has been to make the move sooner rather than later when it comes to replacing veterans at the end of their career.

IMHO, DD will be a BC Lion for only this coming season, allowing Buck to receive his final tutelage on his way to being the starter in 2008.

At the end of 2007, with 2 years remaining on his contract, DD will have trade value of which Wally B will take advantage.
Lloyd
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Translation: "Or else I'll drive him to the Airport, and give him an apple and a road map myself."

Kidding, Shi Zi Mi. :wink:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Translation: "Or else I'll drive him to the Airport, and give him an apple and a road map myself."

That was Chapdelaine and I've already taken care of him.............sorry, too much Sopranos. :lol:
Lloyd
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:

Ok. Gavin Walls or Tom Canada and Jamie Stoddard for Buck.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Translation: "Or else I'll drive him to the Airport, and give him an apple and a road map myself."

That was Chapdelaine and I've already taken care of him.............sorry, too much Sopranos. :lol:
And every Eskimo fan in the world will be making Shi Zi Mi Voodoo dolls within oh....8 weeks. :wink:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:

Only 1 to go.

Does Tony get bumped off?
maddeep73
Champion

IMHO, DD will be a BC Lion for only this coming season, allowing Buck to receive his final tutelage on his way to being the starter in 2008.
So, if I'm Buck, I sit on the bench and HOPE that I get a shot in '08? When the MOP type incumbent is signed for 2 more years??? Sounds like wishful thinking that I'll ever be the starter for the Lions.
Keepin' it real
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:
So, if I'm Buck, I sit on the bench and HOPE that I get a shot in '08? When the MOP type incumbent is signed for 2 more years??? Sounds like wishful thinking that I'll ever be the starter for the Lions.
I think with the $200K contract Buck received last November, he's fully aware that the Lions are not intending on keeping him in a backup roll for those 3 years.

You can be sure that the Lions have made their intentions for Buck crystal clear to him........not a lot of hoping and wishful thinking involved.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:

Only 1 to go.

Does Tony get bumped off?
My guess........there's going to be a blood bath final episode, where Phil Leotardo, a good portion of his "next in command" and Tony will get killed..........leaving little Carmine to swoop in to restore order and take charge of the entire operation.

I'm kinda hoping for AJ to snap out of it and decide he wants to be like dear old dad.........but I think that's asking for too much.

I just realized I've hijacked yet another thread...........it's a horrible habit. :yes:
Lloyd
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Buck will do what's best for the Lions, and for himself. He knows that the two are not mutually exclusive.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think this is Dickenson's final year as a Lions starter. I anticipate Buck Pierce will be seeing alot of action this year.
CB123
Legend

god i hope so lol
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Dan Russell
Legend

Buck will wait. He doesn't seem to be like Printers wanting to be in the starlight immediately.
Sharpo

200k for sitting on the sidelines + bonuses and perks (i'm sure)

He does need to play but he also isn't getting tackled.