The "Who Looked Good Today" in TC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:Has anyone seen at TC, #50 LB Emanuel Sanchez or #53 DL Wyatt Gayer?

They've both been removed from the TC roster...........and Gayer is still on the TC depth chart while Sanchez never was on the TC depth chart. :?
Sanchez wasn't there. I looked at the end of practice and didn't see either Kirkwood #65(Ottawa) or Gayer #58 (Anderson). There was a player in a walking boot that I didn't recognize that was of lineman girth.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:Has anyone seen at TC, #50 LB Emanuel Sanchez or #53 DL Wyatt Gayer?

They've both been removed from the TC roster...........and Gayer is still on the TC depth chart while Sanchez never was on the TC depth chart. :?
Sanchez wasn't there. I looked at the end of practice and didn't see either Kirkwood #65(Ottawa) or Gayer #58 (Anderson). There was a player in a walking boot that I didn't recognize that was of lineman girth.
From an LU article today:

CAMP CALENDAR

Day: 1 Players in camp: 79

Cuts: None

Injuries: DL Jason Ward (fractured heel in rookie camp); OL Kyle Kirkwood (ACL); CB Bo Smith (hamstring, day-to-day)

Failed physicals: None

Retired list: ST Bret Anderson (returns June 24); WR Gilles Colon.

Just arrived: WR Emanuel Hassell was given permission to miss rookie camp due to a family emergency.
Lloyd
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Every time I see the title of this thread my brain thinks it's saying that The Who were at training camp today - and they looked good, to boot! :hypno:
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:Every time I see the title of this thread my brain thinks it's saying that The Who were at training camp today - and they looked good, to boot! :hypno:
Except Pete Townsend spent too much time at the swings. :tease:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
arcticf7ext

That player in the walking boot was probably # 91 Jason Ward. He has had a foot injury this past year and things aren't looking good. He has been training to ensure everything else is good for camp, but he can't get past that foot problem.
LION81

Simmons, Jarious, Flanagan looked good today
Rammer
Team Captain

LION81 wrote:Simmons, Jarious, Flanagan looked good today
Jackson is a hoot to listen to when he beats a rookie defender, any trash talking?
Entertainment value = an all time low
LION81

not very much
although baron miles was all over simon wehn he dropped a pass!
maddeep73
Champion

I was there yesterday. I have a hard time believing that Ricky Foley will not be an impact player this year. He looks like a real physical speciman. He should get a shot in the rotation, and I'l think will step it up.
Keepin' it real
Blitz
Team Captain

I was there yesterday. I have a hard time believing that Ricky Foley will not be an impact player this year. He looks like a real physical speciman. He should get a shot in the rotation, and I'l think will step it up.
I think so too! Don't know yet whether Foley will be the starter but he's going to play some this season, for sure!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Stopped by TC this afternoon for part of it so just a few thoughts.

What impressed me over last year at this time:

1. QBs- the continuing growth and maturity of Buck Pierce.
Dave Dickinson looks sharp as expected and Jarius Jackson isn't shabby either. It looks to me like Buck is ready to step up another level or two in his play. He looks far, far more comfortable in running the offence and to me it looks like he is even more comfortable and relaxed than he was at the end of last season.

2. Talent - What impresses is their overall quality of the talent in most positions including receivers. What a tough choice there is for the coaches.

3. Competitiveness - As well as some very strong talent at their TC, there is a sense of competition that seems more evident to me this year, than last year. I can't put my finger on it, but the guys trying out new this year seem focused and motivated to be here. It might be the GC win that impresses these guys - I don't know but the play is pretty sharp for TC.

Other notables:

1. The one on drill with LBs on RBs was exciting.
Right out of the gate was Jay Pottinger battling Bwenge right to the ground. This set the tone for the drill which was watched by the HC carefully. The next back Pottinger took on was Ian Smart who left the drill for treatment after Pottinger blew out of his stance into the guy. It almost looked as if either Smart wasn't expecting the level of explosiveness of Pottinger or he is smarting with a prior injury. He didn't return to the drill. Pottinger looks a solid tough guy who to get to the next level of play will have to supplement Javy Glatt type thinking for some of the toughness he possesses.

Another interesting rookie in that drill was the 5.9, 190 lb RB Reggie Witherspoon who is listed behind Joe Smith and Ian Smart on the depth chart. He gave Tyson Craigg an extra shot (not cheap, just hard hitting) and Tyson went after him. Nothing serious, just good hard effort and battling. Witherspoon was beaten a couple of times but I liked his grit and determination.

There were some great matchups and some impressive work by both LBs and RBs.

2. Didn't see too much of Matt Griebel, New Mexico State, who is listed at NK behind Mark Washington. I don't mean anything by that, just that I wasn't noticing him in the pass cover drills.

3. Noticed a new OT listed behind Jimenez and Farrrow at RT, Matt Roth, 6.06, 305 lbs. I was impressed by his blocking strength in moving the sled. I just saw the first part of that drill so overall couldn't give much more of an impression. Maybe we might see more of this guy on their team.

4. The organization of the practice seems just a bit crisper to me than it did last year right down to a new guy being yelled at to get his helmet on.

Granted I am just looking at snippets but there does seem to be a postive air overall. Of course this has to turn up in on field performances but I believe that a team's off field preparation mirror its on field performance once the real games begin. A team that prepares well and is focused is one that will perform at its best in games.

So far, what I saw today bode wells for their team this season.

It was very cold there this afternoon so I left before it was over. There were a number of people watching but the cold likely kept the girly boys/men home.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Glad to know that you are not a girly man TV, thanks for that update. That one on one drill between the RB's and LB's had the focus of the HC as well. It was a time to step up for everyone in that drill, Pottinger did exactly what the coach wanted to see from him, step up this TC or be sent packing.

I really want to be around for the 40 times if possible, I wonder when that is going to be done?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Maybe I'm being overly dense right now, but looking at the depth chart, there's 3 slot positions listed. SB, SB (w) and SB (y). Could this merely be a way to differentiate routes?
Area51
All Star

maddeep73 wrote:I was there yesterday. I have a hard time believing that Ricky Foley will not be an impact player this year. He looks like a real physical speciman. He should get a shot in the rotation, and I'l think will step it up.

I'd say quite a few people are going to be in for a surprise. Devestating pass rush - - too much speed off the edge for most tackles to handle. Having two Canadians on the ends is also going to give BC a big advantage in using imports elsewhere. My prediction is BC surpasses last year's sack total.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Maybe I'm being overly dense right now, but looking at the depth chart, there's 3 slot positions listed. SB, SB (w) and SB (y). Could this merely be a way to differentiate routes?
5 receiver set. The "classic" way of seeing an offense line up is 2 WR, 2 SB a TB and a FB. However, the cFL rarely sees a two-back offense anymore as most have a basic 5 receiver set. 2 WR, 3 SB which leaves 1 TB or FB. Then there is the rare gem (usually on long yardage sits) where they have a 6 receiver set. Sometimes, if they have a decent TB, the TB just pulls into an extra (4th) SB position and other times they bring out an extra SB. Usually, it forces DB's into man-to-man coverage a oftentimes it will bring out a blitz from the defence, which if it does, becomes a race. Can the blitzing D get to the QB before he can hit a receiver for the necessary yardage.

Of course sometimes, that is when we see a SB stay home and pick up the outside rusher (remember those games when we saw Geroy stay home and pick up a rusher and everyone questioned what he was doing?). This can confuse the D into not knowing what a playeris doing regardless of the setup and can sometimes work to create confusion with the DB's. It can then buy your QB a few extra seconds to hit a receiver in the open area under a confused DB.

At least that is the basics of how it should/could work.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??