Another QB for Chiefs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
David wrote:For what it's worth, I just returned from an international conference in Palm Springs hosted by my employer. While there, I spoke with an avid Chiefs' fan and season ticket holder from Kansas City who does not think Casey is going to make that team.

DH 8)
For what it's worth I was in Puerto Vallarta many years ago talking to a bunch of avid Seattle Seahawk fans. That was when Warren Moon was in the midst of shopping his services after leaving Edmonton. The consensus was there was no reason for the Seahawks to be interested as he'd never make in the NFL.
Look, it's anyone's guess whether Casey will play quarterback in the NFL. When I look at some of the back-ups in that league (and indeed, starters) I think he has a very legitimate shot if given enough time to develop. However, this guy was to the Chiefs what we are to the Lions. He follows the team religiously and has watched Casey play. I'm not sure the same can said about the Seahawk fans who'd likely only seen Warren Moon play collegiately for the Huskies.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: (p.s. Lionheart: What's happening up in Bralorne these days? Are people living their now?? I haven't been through there in many years, but always thought it would make a great retirement community. And Ogden?)
I sent you a pm.
smphantom
Legend

Casey would look great in the black and silver of the Raiders. Unfortunately, with KC being in the same division, that may never happen. :bang:
Stay thirsty my friends.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like Herm Edwards has no interest in Printers and is ready to hand the ball to 2006 third-round draft choice Brodie Croyle. That's one reason he's trying to unload veteran Trent Green. The other is that he believed last year's team was too old, and the good teams react before that happens, a philosophy shared by Wally Buono. There are some interesting quotes from Edwards in a Joe Posnanski column in the Kansas City Star on Saturday:
Link here
Tighthead
Legend

He has no interest in Printers as a starter, but he may still want him around. However, like Buono, if he thinks he has three better guys, he will waive him yet again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excellent article but I don't sense that Edwards is giving up on Printers.... yet.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow... did I read that right? He was saying this kind of stuff to kids? I thought he had more class than to speak like this. It's this kind of talk that turns a lot of kids off. I have always been a no-nonsense coach but I cannot ever foresee myself saying stuff like this to kids!! I have always heard good things about this coach but this is no way to speak to kids regardless of who you are.

"This is Herm Edwards at his best. He’s preaching, teaching, beseeching and screeching at the more than 1,000 kids who show up Saturday for the Herm Edwards Football Camp. Admission is free. Lunch is free. T-shirts are free. Autographs are free.

But in Herm Edwards’ world, nothing is entirely free.

“This is my field,â€
Blitz
Team Captain

Excellent article but I don't sense that Edwards is giving up on Printers.... yet.
I'm not a Herm Edwards fan as a Head Coach or a tactician. I believed that Printers would have had a chance to play in Kansas City under Vermeil but when Edwards took over I figured Printers chances were very low at getting a decent shot at the position. Printers is not a protype NFL quarterback and most NFL coaches want to systemize their quarterbacks rather than adapt the offence to a quarterback's style. Watching Michael Vick trying to run the West Coast offence is like watching Rosie O'Donnell slip iinto a micro bikini.....painful!!

Brodie Croyle is the heir apparent in Kansas City and he is not only better suited for an NFL offence but he is also especially suited for a Herman Edwards offence. Croyle is tall, has a quick relaease, and can throw it into a tighter spot than Printers. The only question is whether Edwards wants a change of style quarterback as his third stringer or whether he wants to go more prototype. I'm betting on the latter. Printers does not have a quick NFL release and gunning quick, accurate passes into tight spots is not his strength. Edwards coaches to avoid mistakes and hates risk..so Printers style is not a good match for the Head Man.

As for Printers he'll try to catch on with another NFL team if that happens but unless he gets a break I'm betting on a future return to the CFL, where he can still make good bucks and play. Printers throws a very accurate deep ball, is very accurate when throwing on the run, can throw from the pocket, is very mobile, and is smart. He's designed for the CFL game and that's where I eventually expect him to shine!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It's also the kind of mentality and talk that turns the players off at the coach.
maddeep73
Champion

It's also the kind of mentality and talk that turns the players off at the coach.
No pro coach talks to his players that way for long. Treat them like men and they play like men, scream at them like kids and they tune you out pretty quickly. He was just putting on a show, I'm guessing.
Keepin' it real
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

For the sake of the kids I hope it was a show.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

I think you have to know Herm Edwards' personality a bit to put that above passage in context. There would have been the slight trace of a smirk on his face as he went on that faux "tirade". Edwards is an advisory member of the Positive Coaching Alliance in the U.S. -- no one is a bigger booster of youth sports, and positive role models for youth, than Herm. As someone who has coached in one of those massive camp situations, I can tell you that you have to lay down the law early, otherwise the place will be complete anarchy. After setting everyone straight, Herm would have been the most positive, supportive coach on the field, guaranteed. He just had to let them know up front what the rules were and who was in charge - nothing wrong with that.

As for Casey, I actually see an opportunity here for him. With Trent Green gone, and no other QBs of note coming to the Chiefs via the draft or free agency, he is virtually guaranteed a spot on the active roster this year, and significant playing time during exhibition games. Damon Huard is 34 years old, and is not the QB of the future in KC. Sure, Brody Croyle is the apple of the coach's eye right now, but coaches like to win, and won't take much for Casey to create some buzz in training camp if he plays well. KC didn't invest a year in Casey's development in order to ditch him now, and have to start all over again with some other scrub rookie. If Casey doesn't develop the way they would like this year, then yes, they will probably cut him and draft another QB, but he'll get one more shot at it this year, and with one less QB in front of him.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

CP had plenty of playing time last season in the preseason, yet he had little to work with. He was put out on the cloths line and hung to dry with constant pressure from his leaky line and a receiving corps that looked like they couldn't have made the Tigercats.

I do agree if CP wanted a legitimate chance at showcasing his stuff, this seemingly is as good as he could ever expect.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:... I appeciate both games even though I enjoy the CFL game better. Sometimes you can enjoy an apple and and orange without arguing one or the other is better!
:whs: and I want CP playing in-game even if has to be against my beloved BC Lions. Live out your NFL dreams and if things don't work then get back up here to play in the league that suits your skills. As for the NFL vs CFL, I hate Feb-May weekends because my favourite two professional sports leagues (1. CFL, 2. NFL) are in their off-seasons.
Ravi
Legend

Casey needs to be playing on not just sitting on a bench wasting his skills. I agree with Blitz that Printers will be back in the CFL and that will hopefully happen by 2008. I don't believe that the Chiefs are seriously looking at Printers as a potential starting QB for them.