Favourite CFL Commissioner?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who has been your favourite CFL Commissioner?

Sydney Halter (1958-1966)
No votes
Jake Gaudaur (1968-1984)
38%
Douglas Mitchell (1984-1988)
No votes
William Baker (1989)
3%
Donald Crump (1990-1991)
No votes
Larry Smith (1992-1996)
No votes
John Tory (1996-2000)
3%
Michael Lysko (2000-2002)
6%
Tom Wright (2003-2006)
50%

Total votes: 34
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of the recent appointment of Mark Cohon as CFL's latest commissioner, let's discuss something that I don't think has been discussed in great detail before, and I don't think a poll has ever been created on this topic either.

Who has been your favourite CFL commissioner and why?

Since the poll only allows me to put down nine selections, I will not list some of the earlier, shorter-term commissioners as well as any of the interim commissioners.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I always wanted a CFL football signed by Jake Gaudaur. He was a first-class commissioner and had the longest tenure in the modern era. I respected Mitchell and Smith but they and all of the others who followed Gaudaur endured major problems which they couldn't overcome.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another vote for Jake Gaudaur followed by Sydney Halter
squishy35
Legend

Jake. BTW BC Fan, I do have a J5V from his era with his autograph on it somewhere amongst my collectables... :yes:
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Tom Wright was a good commish
2012 Season Ticket Holder
LFITQ
Team Captain

I kinda liked what John Tory did as commish. I believe much of the current turn around to respectability can be sourced back to the good work Tory did during his tenure. Let's face it, he didn't exactly inherit a strong product, but he did get the ball rolling in alot of areas.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
TheZeppo
Starter

LFITQ wrote:I kinda liked what John Tory did as commish. I believe much of the current turn around to respectability can be sourced back to the good work Tory did during his tenure. Let's face it, he didn't exactly inherit a strong product, but he did get the ball rolling in alot of areas.
I agree. I voted for Gaudaur because he is my "favorite". However,
if I was being asked to vote for the commish that I most respected, my choice would be John Tory.
lion24
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:Tom Wright was a good commish
i also thought he did a pretty good job. although the loss of ottawa hurt him
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If you look at this list of Commissioners it is clear that the earlier era was when Commissioners didn't have to spend their time kissing butts like today. I very much thought Tom Wright was great for the CFL and we'd be better off today without all these months of sniping and controversy.

If you want to dump someone senior, you usually have a good idea of who you want to replace the person with. This new guy doesn't start until late April when the position has been open since GC and known to be open much longer than that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Willie_the_wisp
Rookie

I voted for Jake Gaudar, but admittedly the fact that he was commissioner for 16 years and during a time of relative stability were the main reasons. Unfortunately those who followed him, took the job when there was less public support for the CFL, so their work was likely overshadowed by fears of the league's demise. It would be nice to see some continuity with a commissioner serving for a decade or more. Maybe Mark Cohon will have that opportunity and help move the CFL further ahead.
A long time CFL fan
Rammer
Team Captain

Wright was the right man at the time, but the owners for the life of me continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Gaudaur didn't have near the difficulties in dealing with owners that Wright had to do, but just think of the positives that Wright brought in in spite of the owners. Add to that his high road during all the behind the scenes back stabbing, and I give a ton of credit for still putting forth an SMS that few seemed to want at the outset.

I guess that he is fresh in my mind, and got my vote because I thought he fought through with his held held high.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Tom Wright is my definite choice!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)