Olympics could cost $ 3.7 billion (my calculation)

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

120dB
Legend

My numbers say the Olympics will cost about $ 3.7 billion:

Olympic construction: $ 600 million

Sea to Sky Hwy: $ 600 million

Canada Line: $1.7 billion

Convention Center: $ 800 million

I consider Olympic costs to be anything that has to be ready by 2010. My accounting accurate?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Only in the most narrow view. The Sea to Sky Hwy, Canada Line and Convention Center all needed to be built regardless of the Olympics. The timing MIGHT have been delayed if not for winning the Olympics, but were inevitable.

The Olympic construction leaves legacy buildings, both new and renovated to the benefit of the people of BC for decades. The money spent has created employment for thousands of people in BC and the spin off from that is incalculable.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Canada Line: $1.7 billion
No, simply based on your twisted view of everything. To me, Olympic related costs come from everything that was tied directly to the bid book. Sea to Sky, venue construction/renovation, security and all related costs. The Canada Line was mentioned as being in progress, there was no promise of completion.

Technically speaking, the Canada Line is NOT tied to the Olympic bid, contrary to popular belief. It was in the planning process anyways. Being a Richmond resident for hte foreseeable future, and having friends that work for VANOC, I managed to see the bid book that was presented to the IOC. There was no explicit promise from VANOC to the IOC of completion. However, in the contract that was drawn up with the contractors, there are severly punitive fines (estimated to be $1 million/day) for non-compliance aka Canada Line not complete in 2009.
nelson95
Legend

Don't forget the cost of labor and cement,etc that will sore for routine development such as hospitals, homes and highways due to supplies and laboreres tied up with Olympic stuff.

Typical construction costs have risen 24% in the last year. Just hope that your roof doesn't go now...esp if you coulda fixed it last year or earlier
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Yes, the ever-rising materials costs are due entirely to Olympic construction demands. They're in no way related to greatly increased demand for Katrina reconstruction, skyrocketing fuel prices in all areas of transportation, etc.
:bang:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Rick James
Legend

Soundy wrote:Yes, the ever-rising materials costs are due entirely to Olympic construction demands. They're in no way related to greatly increased demand for Katrina reconstruction, skyrocketing fuel prices in all areas of transportation, etc.
And the huge demand in China for concrete and steel. :juggle:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rick James wrote:
Soundy wrote:Yes, the ever-rising materials costs are due entirely to Olympic construction demands. They're in no way related to greatly increased demand for Katrina reconstruction, skyrocketing fuel prices in all areas of transportation, etc.
And the huge demand in China for concrete and steel. :juggle:
Exactly ! You beat me to it .