Walby's Warriors

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Warrior of the year goest to Brent Johnson He wins a $45,000 GMC Sierra truck. :thup: :thup: [/b]
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

freakin' A!! Good job Brent!!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Here's a good Brent Johnson story for you....

A good friend of mine has a brother who was Brent Johnson's football coach in high school. This past summer my buddy and his little boy are taking a walk in the park and they see Brent. So, John (my buddy) goes over to introduce his son, Flynn, to Brent. John mentions that his brother is Philip Ridley. Brent tells my buddy that his brother that Philip was a major influence in his life and career, and that he probably would not have gone to Ohio State and become a pro without him. How big of a hero do you think "Uncle Philip" is now in the eyes of young nephew Flynn?

Cool, eh?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:Here's a good Brent Johnson story for you....

A good friend of mine has a brother who was Brent Johnson's football coach in high school. This past summer my buddy and his little boy are taking a walk in the park and they see Brent. So, John (my buddy) goes over to introduce his son, Flynn, to Brent. John mentions that his brother is Philip Ridley. Brent tells my buddy that his brother that Philip was a major influence in his life and career, and that he probably would not have gone to Ohio State and become a pro without him. How big of a hero do you think "Uncle Philip" is now in the eyes of young nephew Flynn?

Cool, eh?
:yahoo:"Uncle Philip"
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

wow thats a cool story BCL
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Oh here's another Brent Johnson connection...

My Belizean wife and her brother actually spent their high school years in Kingston, Ontario, because their father did his masters and PhD at Queens... my brother in law played football against Brent, and remembers him well. A few weeks ago I mentioned to my brother in law that one of BC's top players was from Kingston. Before I could even mention his name, my brother in law says "you probably mean that big white country boy, I can't remember his name, but he was without a doubt the best player in the city. Probably the province". So I pulled up a picture on the internet and my brother in law says "yep, that's him".
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Brent Johnson will be picking up his new 2007 GMC Sierra at Dueck Pontiac Buick GMC today.

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module ... &nid=14707

Unlike salaries in other leagues, players don't make extremely high salaries in the CFL so I'm sure this new truck means a lot to Johnson.

Repeating a question I posted earlier, does anybody know if Dave Dickenson and Paul McCallum received anything else other than their trophies for being the Grey Cup Players of the Game?
prairiedog
Rookie

I know that especially with the Dodge sponsorship the CFL had (still has not sure?), the ALWAYS gave a truck to the GC MVP and maybe also to the GC top canadian.

If I could jog your memories, GC97, Doug Flutie won the truck and gave the keys to Paul Masotti.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

prairiedog wrote:I know that especially with the Dodge sponsorship the CFL had (still has not sure?), the ALWAYS gave a truck to the GC MVP and maybe also to the GC top canadian.

If I could jog your memories, GC97, Doug Flutie won the truck and gave the keys to Paul Masotti.
Yes, I remember that very well when Doug Flutie handed the keys of the truck to Paul Masotti. I also remember in 1994, the truck as the game MVP was originally awarded to Lui Passaglia, but a communication error resulted in the truck being awarded to Baltimore's Karl Anthony instead. Lui was demoted to top Canadian, which did not have a truck awarded with it.

However, sponsorship of the CFL Grey Cup has changed many times, and I didn't know whether the new sponsorship still awarded a truck to the players of the game. There was nothing on the field go indicate that Dickenson and McCallum were awarded anything else other than their individual trophies. Unlike in 1997, no keys to a truck were presented.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lui was given the truck in the end with a one year lease attached to it, but IIRC that was waived once everything settled down.
Entertainment value = an all time low
freddyf

Trucks haven't been awarded since Jeff Garcia won (he was the last one). GC MVP gets $10 000, Canadian gets $5000. I heard that the sponsors were quite upset with what Doug did and it eventually (amongst other things) led to the loss of the car award.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

freddyf wrote:Trucks haven't been awarded since Jeff Garcia won (he was the last one). GC MVP gets $10 000, Canadian gets $5000. I heard that the sponsors were quite upset with what Doug did and it eventually (amongst other things) led to the loss of the car award.
Okay, thanks for the clarification, freddyf. I guess that means that 1998 was the last time a truck was awarded to the GC MVP. I guess it also means that sponsorship has become more stingy with regards to the GC awards as a new truck was certainly worth more than $10,000.