Premier idiot

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionheart
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Downed trees and dead brush also become habitat and help to establish and augment the ecosystem.
I wont argue with that but I'll tell you what. Why don't you experiment with so much fuel on your property? Then while you're at it add in a few homeless butt flickers.

I own some acrerage of forest and the first thing I must do in the spring with my Husky is clean all the dead fuel and brush, as I'm sure you would do the same.
MacNews
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:Just because you got screwed by the province doesnt make it right for them to do the same everywhere else, and once again, it is not City owned, just leased. In fact, assuming they will be shortly renegotiating a next lease, maybe the city of Vancouver shouldnt put one cent into it until they get the new lease. The feds are liable to let the city and private citizens clean it all up, then lease or sell it to someone else.
I agree with LFIQ on this one. The reason why Vancouver should foot the bill for this clean-up is because they own the park and get the most benefits from it.

If we had formed a mega city then, KIA, when Vancouver paid for the clean-up it'd be the whole lower mainland pitching it. But we haven't, so Vancouver is left footing the bill. I'm fine with that. Why? Because that's what Vancouver got when they leased Stanley Park from the feds. If they were so worried about costs then they shouldn't have leased the park.

The only funding should be from the Parks Board (It's their job) and concerned private citizens.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I agree with LFIQ on this one. The reason why Vancouver should foot the bill for this clean-up is because they own the park and get the most benefits from it.
What is it with you people. I keep pointing out to you that they do NOT own the park and you keep ignoring that little fact??? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Then later you admit they are just leasing. Make up your mind...sheesh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Just because you got screwed by the province doesnt make it right for them to do the same everywhere else, and once again, it is not City owned, just leased. In fact, assuming they will be shortly renegotiating a next lease, maybe the city of Vancouver shouldnt put one cent into it until they get the new lease. The feds are liable to let the city and private citizens clean it all up, then lease or sell it to someone else.

If we had formed a mega city then, KIA, when Vancouver paid for the clean-up it'd be the whole lower mainland pitching it. But we haven't, so Vancouver is left footing the bill. I'm fine with that. Why? Because that's what Vancouver got when they leased Stanley Park from the feds. If they were so worried about costs then they shouldn't have leased the park.

The only funding should be from the Parks Board (It's their job) and concerned private citizens.
in other words, you dont want any of YOUR tax money to go to it, but yet, I bet you will still enjoy parts of the park every now and then. You do know that some tourists money that the park brings in makes its way to North Van, doncha?? How about if the city just says, forget, we leave it the way it is and those people on the other side will just have to keep using only 2nd narrows or the seabus.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

What is it with you people. I keep pointing out to you that they do NOT own the park and you keep ignoring that little fact???
As mentioned previously, I work for the City. The park is leased from the Feds. The lease will be renegotiated this year. The City is responsible for ALL maintenance and cleanup. However without some aid from other Gov'ts if we spend our entire budget on cleanup after this there won't be much left over to maintain not just this park, but all parks.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
What is it with you people. I keep pointing out to you that they do NOT own the park and you keep ignoring that little fact???
As mentioned previously, I work for the City. The park is leased from the Feds. The lease will be renegotiated this year. The City is responsible for ALL maintenance and cleanup. However without some aid from other Gov'ts if we spend our entire budget on cleanup after this there won't be much left over to maintain not just this park, but all parks.
have they started negotiating the next lease yet? Any talk about it at all?? Do you think it is a 100% given that the city gets the next lease? Is there a point where the city will say, nope, too much? Is anybody at all concerned where you work, or in the parks board?
MacNews
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:What is it with you people. I keep pointing out to you that they do NOT own the park and you keep ignoring that little fact??? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Because, I count leasing it the same as owning. For that period of time, the City owns it.

I think it should be left to the city because they own it (For now) and they have to accept that responsibility. If they don't want to pay for the clean-up, then don't re-negociate the lease and let it roll-over to the feds in 2007.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:What is it with you people. I keep pointing out to you that they do NOT own the park and you keep ignoring that little fact??? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Because, I count leasing it the same as owning. For that period of time, the City owns it.

I think it should be left to the city because they own it (For now) and they have to accept that responsibility. If they don't want to pay for the clean-up, then don't re-negociate the lease and let it roll-over to the feds in 2007.
That's a tad short-sighted. Yo sure you want the Feds running the Park..collecting fees and sending them to Toronto?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
have they started negotiating the next lease yet? Any talk about it at all?? Do you think it is a 100% given that the city gets the next lease? Is there a point where the city will say, nope, too much? Is anybody at all concerned where you work, or in the parks board?
As with Lion82...the deal will get done.
MacNews
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:That's a tad short-sighted. Yo sure you want the Feds running the Park..collecting fees and sending them to Toronto?
No I don't want the fees going to Ottawa, but if the City is gonna whine about storm clean-up costs (They're not, it's Global trying to get some viewers) then just let the park go to Ottawa and problem solved.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

then just let the park go to Ottawa and problem solved.
I guarantee you the problems would only be beginning in that case
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, anyhow, if the city did lose the park lease, what would then happen to lions gate and the road thru the park?? Would the city maintain any legal right of way/ownership/usage? Or could the feds lease to someone private who could deny passage through the park, and\or collect a toll??
CB123
Legend

Or could the feds lease to someone private who could deny passage through the park, and\or collect a toll??
Its probably possible, but I highly doubt that would happen, Im sure it would have to be worked out that the City/bridge gets the right of way.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:
Or could the feds lease to someone private who could deny passage through the park, and\or collect a toll??
Its probably possible, but I highly doubt that would happen, Im sure it would have to be worked out that the City/bridge gets the right of way.
and then what debate we would see when a tree fell across the road, as to who is responsible for cleanup
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

another question. If private enterprise leased the park and ran a profitable business, would they pay any taxes to the city? Would the city still be responsible for policing?