CKNW - BC Place stadium roof collapsed

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Wally!
Starter

Owned by the BC Provincial Gov't, managed by PavCo, a crown corp as well.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wally! wrote:Owned by the BC Provincial Gov't, managed by PavCo, a crown corp as well.
That became a major issue in 1989 when the BC Lions were put up for sale. Potential buyers Jimmy Pattison, Peter Toigo, and maybe Steve Funk all backed out of their bids because they also wanted ownership of the stadium too, which the province wouldn't sell to them. Murray Pezim didn't demand BC Place as a condition of buying the Lions, so that's why he won the ownership bid.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so does the province pay the city of van for extra police attention during events and street cleanup, etc?? Does the province own the land? Does the province pay city tax on the land??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
MacNews
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:I just realized, with all that is said on the topic of the stadium, I am not sure who actually OWNS it. Is it the province of BC???
Yup, and this time there is no lease. :wink:

BC Pavillion Corporation owns BC Place. They are a Crown company.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I just realized, with all that is said on the topic of the stadium, I am not sure who actually OWNS it. Is it the province of BC???
YOU own one four millionth of that stadium, that is why you should get off your azz more and show up to a Lions game via a tailgater so we can slap a hotdog on yer naggin.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

can slap a hotdog on yer naggin.
Threaten me with a hotdog willya, why I oughta...sick my wife on you.

Here she is trying to hep me get skinny and healthy and you wanna go ruin the whole thing. She will getcha good she will :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A premilinary report blames human error for overinflating the stadium:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A preliminary report on the collapse of the fabric roof over BC Place Stadium points to three main factors for the giant tear, with human error cited as the main cause. Dome staff say the air supported roof blew out much like an over-inflated balloon. General manager Howard Crosley says his staff accidently pumped too much air into the stadium too fast for the roof to handle when they noticed it was sagging a bit last Friday.

He points out there were three problems that combined for the blow out. "There appears to have been a weakness in the fabric, there was the error that was made with the increased rapid pressurization and the wind factor outside." Crosley calls the combination, "the purrfect storm" to cause a roof collapse. Normally an accidental over inflation would not blow out a section of the roof.

Crosley still doesn't know when all the repairs will be completed so the roof can be inflated again. The damage is covered by insurance with a $75,000 deductable that will come out of the stadium's general budget.
David
Team Captain

wrote:He points out there were three problems that combined for the blow out. "There appears to have been a weakness in the fabric, there was the error that was made with the increased rapid pressurization and the wind factor outside." Crosley calls the combination, "the purrfect storm" to cause a roof collapse. Normally an accidental over inflation would not blow out a section of the roof.

I guess the Riders weren't the only victims of a blow-out at BC Place. :lol:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
wrote:He points out there were three problems that combined for the blow out. "There appears to have been a weakness in the fabric, there was the error that was made with the increased rapid pressurization and the wind factor outside." Crosley calls the combination, "the purrfect storm" to cause a roof collapse. Normally an accidental over inflation would not blow out a section of the roof.

I guess the Riders weren't the only victims of a blow-out at BC Place. :lol:

DH 8)
I hereby start the following Rumour. A disgruntled rider deposited a strategically placed time delay device just before he left the last rider game here. This rider fan is a member of an anti Lions extremist faction of rider fans, who it can be rumoured as being also responsible for paying for the "human error" part of the equation. :twisted: :wink:
MacNews
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:Surprised nobody has posted this yet:
CTV.ca wrote:Human error, winds caused B.C. Place roof collapse
Updated Fri. Jan. 12 2007 4:41 PM ET

Canadian Press

VANCOUVER -- A combination of natural causes and human error led to the roof collapsing at B.C. Place stadium, general manager Howard Crosley said Friday.

He said a preliminary report showed weakened fabric, a rapid pressurization of the roof and heavy wind conditions caused the structure to tear.

A B.C. Place employee quickly increased the pressure on the roof last Friday after staff noticed it was slightly inverted during a heavy wind and sleet storm.

At the same time, another person turned on an additional eight fans to keep the air-supported roof inflated.

"The staff reacted as they're trained to do," Crosley said. "Which is, when they noticed a depressurization in the facility, to apply pressure. The mistake that was made was that two people were operating the controls at the same time."

Engineer Kris Hamilton, who is conducting a report of the incident, said there was three times more pressure on the roof than there was supposed to be.
Somebody want to explain to me how two people could be "creating more pressure" at the same time? I thought there was only one control room, and that employees had things like radios for communication.

The roof probably would've torn anyways, as there was that weakened Teflon panel. But it doesn't help having two people doing the same thing...one would think such controls would be elementary. :bang:
Anyone wanna take a stab at how two people were both trying to increase pressure in the stadium? I still don't get it.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
MacNews wrote:Surprised nobody has posted this yet:
CTV.ca wrote:Human error, winds caused B.C. Place roof collapse
Updated Fri. Jan. 12 2007 4:41 PM ET

Canadian Press

VANCOUVER -- A combination of natural causes and human error led to the roof collapsing at B.C. Place stadium, general manager Howard Crosley said Friday.

He said a preliminary report showed weakened fabric, a rapid pressurization of the roof and heavy wind conditions caused the structure to tear.

A B.C. Place employee quickly increased the pressure on the roof last Friday after staff noticed it was slightly inverted during a heavy wind and sleet storm.

At the same time, another person turned on an additional eight fans to keep the air-supported roof inflated.

"The staff reacted as they're trained to do," Crosley said. "Which is, when they noticed a depressurization in the facility, to apply pressure. The mistake that was made was that two people were operating the controls at the same time."

Engineer Kris Hamilton, who is conducting a report of the incident, said there was three times more pressure on the roof than there was supposed to be.
Somebody want to explain to me how two people could be "creating more pressure" at the same time? I thought there was only one control room, and that employees had things like radios for communication.

The roof probably would've torn anyways, as there was that weakened Teflon panel. But it doesn't help having two people doing the same thing...one would think such controls would be elementary. :bang:
Anyone wanna take a stab at how two people were both trying to increase pressure in the stadium? I still don't get it.
try watching the news sometimes :wink:

They explained. One guy in one room with the computer thingy, and the other guy in the next room with the manual thingy and they didnt talk to each other.
MacNews
Team Captain

Don't have radios?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:Don't have radios?
maybe they were having a lovers spat :wink:
MacNews
Team Captain

LOL, good one KIA. But honestly, this is a huge error that Howard has to own up to. There should be no way that it is possible for two people to be doing the same action!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:LOL, good one KIA. But honestly, this is a huge error that Howard has to own up to. There should be no way that it is possible for two people to be doing the same action!
I beleive he has owned up to it and promised to take steps such that it will not be possible for it to happen again. Lets give him that chance. :yes: