CKNW - BC Place stadium roof collapsed

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Glad to hear nobody was injured.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Too bad this didnt wait to happen the day before the first olympic event to be held there. Would love to see the egg on Vanoc and Campbells face over it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

tosh
Rookie

BEEECEEE
All Star

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/natio ... 90&k=79296

go to right hand side under related links, click on cellphone video.
Formely sfu_guy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Depending on how long it takes to fix the roof and all the damaged lights, the following events scheduled for January and February may be affected:

Jan 23-24: BC Contractors Show and Landscaping Expo
Feb 3: Monster Jam
Feb 7-11: Boat Show
Feb 17-19: Golf & Travel Show
Feb 21-25: Home & Garden Show
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Too bad this didnt wait to happen the day before the first olympic event to be held there. Would love to see the egg on Vanoc and Campbells face over it.
Love or hate the Olympics, they are coming and I for one want them to go smoothly.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
D
Team Captain

B.C. Place Stadium's inflated roof collapses

Updated Fri. Jan. 5 2007 4:30 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

B.C. Place Stadium's inflated roof has partially collapsed, but officials say that no one was injured.

"It's an air-supported roof, or the 'Big Pillow' as people call it, and it developed a rip in the corner over the G-Gate entrance," CTV's Todd Battis reported.

John McKearney, deputy chief of Vancouver Fire and Rescue, said no one was hurt when part of the roof fell at about 12:40 p.m.

"The roof is actually slowly collapsing -- it hasn't completely deflated as of yet," he said.

"All staff inside were relocated and at this point it's now a maintenance issue."

He added that 16 firefighters were dispatched to the scene.

Battis said the collapse may have resulted from inclement weather and high winds.

"We've got heavy, we snow showers in Vancouver at the moment," Battis told CTV Newsnet.

"The thinking is that the weight just couldn't be supported -- it found a weak area in the roof, tore it back, and so now you've got snow and rain falling into that part of the stadium."

The stadium is home to both the Vancouver Canucks and B.C. Lions.

It will also be the future home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, where both the opening and closing ceremonies will be held.

More details to come...
:shock: .... more details like were the Canucks play?
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

This was a shock to me when I heard about it.

I hope the problem's resolved.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:Too bad this didnt wait to happen the day before the first olympic event to be held there. Would love to see the egg on Vanoc and Campbells face over it.
Love or hate the Olympics, they are coming and I for one want them to go smoothly.
I dont. I want Campbell and his cronies to lose their shirts, houses and everything else. Unfortunatley, now that they have seen this happen, they will probably take steps to make sure it cant in 2010.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

D wrote:
B.C. PlaceThe stadium is home to both the Vancouver Canucks and B.C. Lions.

It will also be the future home of the 2010 Winter Olympics, where both the opening and closing ceremonies will be held.

More details to come...
That big factual error seems to be fixed on the http://www.ctv.ca web article now.

On a related note, General Motors Place will be holding an event tonight as the Canucks host the Edmonton Oilers. I wonder if many people will swing by BC Place to get a first hand look.
jeepdude50

I hope that there isn't too much secondary damage in the building. e.g. water damage from all the rain, etc.
Charlene

Robbie wrote:
D wrote:
B.C. PlaceThe stadium is home to both the Vancouver Canucks and B.C. Lions.

More details to come...
That big factual error seems to be fixed on the http://www.ctv.ca web article now.

On a related note, General Motors Place will be holding an event tonight as the Canucks host the Edmonton Oilers. I wonder if many people will swing by BC Place to get a first hand look.
I don't think you really need to "swing by" BC Place when you're at GM Place lol, it's just kind of...there :wink:
Balraj
All Star

This news even made CNN headline news, the rip is pretty big and from the video they showed it's deflating pretty fast. The only water damage that could be done would be done to the seats in the upper level on which the water is falling on.