The Day after Labour Day - 2014

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Charlene

yeah, we had district track meets. I was a sprinter :wink:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Well I enjoyed phys ed and activities up until Grade 6 when my phys ed teacher wrote on my report card that I was unco-ordinated. I have to say that I had skipped a grade and was a year (almost 2 in some cases) younger than some of my classmates. Hello! How many 10 year old girls are coordinated? Jerk. That pretty much did it for me. As soon as Phys Ed was non-mandatory, I dropped it. I was good at volleyball and archery if you can believe it, but the stigma pretty much stayed with me, and I self-fulfilled what my teacher said. The brief sporting life of Catseyes.
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:Well I enjoyed phys ed and activities up until Grade 6 when my phys ed teacher wrote on my report card that I was unco-ordinated. I have to say that I had skipped a grade and was a year (almost 2 in some cases) younger than some of my classmates. Hello! How many 10 year old girls are coordinated? Jerk. That pretty much did it for me. As soon as Phys Ed was non-mandatory, I dropped it. I was good at volleyball and archery if you can believe it, but the stigma pretty much stayed with me, and I self-fulfilled what my teacher said. The brief sporting life of Catseyes.
Funny with as much interest in sports that you have, I would have thought that you would have pursued it vigilantly in school. Goes to show you how influential adults can be in a childs life.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Charlene wrote:yeah, we had district track meets. I was a sprinter :wink:
in my day, as best I can recall, we only had school sports day until we went to high school, no elementary school track teams, just other sports.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Track starts in Grade 4 now......ahaha the girl on the guy's football team sounds like my sister in baseball. She schools are of them up and wins the MVP! :lol:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

She schools are of them up
huh??? :? :?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
sorry I mean Schools all of them up.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
sorry I mean Schools all of them up.
damn generation gaps. I still barely understand that, sigh.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Funny with as much interest in sports that you have, I would have thought that you would have pursued it vigilantly in school. Goes to show you how influential adults can be in a childs life.
Strangely enough, my interest in sports didn't renew itself again until I was in my 30's and didn't really give a *poop* what anyone said about me. When I was running, I used to compete (sort of) in races, and got a great deal of satisfaction from it. When you're 10, and are looking to teachers as role models, and for developing your learning, it really deflates your sense of self-worth when even THEY don't believe in you. But....that's all said and done, and I am who I am today because of it, which is a much stronger person. Tell me I can't do something today, and I'm just as likely to tell you to bite me! :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
Rammer wrote:Funny with as much interest in sports that you have, I would have thought that you would have pursued it vigilantly in school. Goes to show you how influential adults can be in a childs life.
Strangely enough, my interest in sports didn't renew itself again until I was in my 30's and didn't really give a *poop* what anyone said about me. When I was running, I used to compete (sort of) in races, and got a great deal of satisfaction from it. When you're 10, and are looking to teachers as role models, and for developing your learning, it really deflates your sense of self-worth when even THEY don't believe in you. But....that's all said and done, and I am who I am today because of it, which is a much stronger person. Tell me I can't do something today, and I'm just as likely to tell you to bite me! :wink:
bet you cant go a whole month without saying bite me :wink:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

How do you know I just didn't? :lol: :rotf:
Real women wear orange!!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So for those of you who are going back to school today, like LF4L and CB123, how are you all holding up? CB123, are you still student council President for your grade 12 year?

And for those of you who have kids returning to school today, how are they feeling today?
lion24
Legend

I am just looking forward to hopefully getting my grade 12 (on my 10th try) and maybe bagging a hot teacher :wink: :wink: !!
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:
3. In high school, your timetable would be handed out and you would find out which teachers you were assigned to and whether you would liked them. You would also find out if all the elective courses you wanted were granted to you.
We get our Timetable sent in mid august now, so you find out a long time before school actually starts.
and now we can play tackle because we're more mature, and they trust us!
ahahahhaha yeah my friends and I were playing tackle football one day in grade 7, and then this other kid wanted to play with us, and when I tackled him I accidentally broke his collarbone, sadly that was the end of tackle football for us (well at least during school)
The thing I remember about the first week back in school as the attempting to jockey with your schedule to get more classes with people you like, or getting away from specific teachers.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:The thing I remember about the first week back in school as the attempting to jockey with your schedule to get more classes with people you like, or getting away from specific teachers.
Yeah, some counselors were very generous in granting course and section changes, others were not and you had to ask your parents to appeal to the school if you still wanted a change, which still may or may not have been granted. To me, getting the right teacher could easily mean the difference between getting a 'C' or an 'A' in a course.