O'Mahony found

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue Fan

O'Mahony found
MAY 22 2006 04:40 PM

Winnipeg Blue Bomber kicker Duncan O'Mahony has been located, and he's safe.

The family issued a statement this afternoon saying his whereabouts have been determined, and they were able to establish contact with him.

The family says he's safe, and they're asking for privacy to bring the matter to a close.

O'Mahony had been missing since Friday when he missed a connecting flight from Calgary to Winnipeg, where he was to report to training camp on Saturday.

CJOB's Brett Megarry reporting.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

That's great news and a huge sigh of relief.
The Canadian Press story says the Bombers have already released him and are in search of another kicker to bring to camp.

Don't know what prompted this but maybe the reality of being released by his hometown team and having to go elsewhere caught up with him on the flight to Calgary. I'm sure its been an emotional rollercoaster for him.

Hopefully he can get things straightened out and move forward. He is one of the top punters in this league.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

More news articles on him:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national ... icker.html

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=166636&hubname=

I wasn't all that concerned about his disappearance and I was fairly confident that he would turn up okay. After all, isn't Duncan a little too old and big to be considered a runaway boy or kidnapped boy?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to the CP article, this incident may have costed Duncan his job in Winnipeg:

-----------
"But Brendan Taman, the team's general manager, said earlier Monday the Blue Bombers were looking for a new kicker.

"We've moved on. We've got to acquire some new people in his position," Taman said in an interview. "It's unfortunate, but football-wise we have to move on and we're going to move on. We have to ... try and field a team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kickers march to their own drummer but this Duncan is beginning to take the cake.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm really looking forward to finding out exactly what happened. It's probably not good to make premature assumptions and poke fun at him - just in case it really was a serious issue.
CB123
Legend

This whole thing has been so strange.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:I'm really looking forward to finding out exactly what happened. It's probably not good to make premature assumptions and poke fun at him - just in case it really was a serious issue.
I don't think we will find out until he makes his way back into the CFL....if that happens. :sigh:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Just happy that he's been found.

Maybe once he gets over the episode, he could (if he wants to) find his way to Brendan Taman's Office for a heart to heart, and still be in the running for a job.

And he might even miss some of Camp to boot. :twisted:
Steve O'Brien

I am glad he has been found and is safe.

Whatever issues were involved with this, I certainly hope he can resolve them.

As for the details, that's none of my business. It should only be the business of those he chooses to inform.

I wish him luck.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Steve O'Brien wrote:I am glad he has been found and is safe.

Whatever issues were involved with this, I certainly hope he can resolve them.

As for the details, that's none of my business. It should only be the business of those he chooses to inform.

I wish him luck.
Well said...losing the Bombers job should be the least of his concerns right now. He needs to sort out his issues and get his mind right.

All the best to him.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Don Miller
Legend

:thup: Glad to hear Duncan has called his family. I hope he is able to deal with whatever problem he has. I am sure the rollercoaster ride he has been on has not been fun. The life of pro athlete can be very tough at times. I hope that the Bombers can help him work through this and give him a chance to prove himself. He can kick!
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Charlene

Poor Duncan :no:

I'm glad he's ok, i hope everything works out for the best for him!
MykAussie
Rookie

As I'm here late Tues night/Wed morning in Calgary and listening to Gabriel Morency on SportsRage Montreal Team 990 on Internet radio talking about Duncan I decided to email Gabriel.

Gabriel,
I can honestly say he is a friend of mine. He's a great guy. I suppose we will all find out what is going on in his life soon. I know one thing is the Vancouver Media were Aholes to Duncan. They hounded him way to much and Duncan did not handle it very well.

While some BC Lions Fans that have no idea about football bagged his punting. I used to argue with some fans at BC Place in 04 and 05 sticking up for his punting. He punted very well for the BC Lions in 90% of the games. He did have a bad Grey Cup in 2004 though and he definitely struggled with goal kicking but he is still a very good punter.

I think Paul McCallum is not that good anymore and I was concerned when the Lions got him and let Duncan go. As a BC Lions fan #1 I now hope Paul McCallum is better in 06 than he was in 05 for the Riders. I'll call you soon. I'm still in Calgary, went to Stamps opening day practice yesterday." Myk
Myk Aussie
185+ Sports, Comedy MYKwebTV
shows, lots of CFL.
http://www.mykaussie.com
Twitter: MykAussie
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

bagged his punting.
I think he got more flack as a kicker. The fact they wnet with Andersn to KO showed alot. Before the PM deal I would have been happy to see him split the duties with Congi for a season.
I have my head up my butt - 120db