Lions Marketing Thread

From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here .. as do past Felion Prowl Photo Shoots :)

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

That is a good idea

They also need to come up with a discounted youth season ticket .... I know they send coupons out with report cards and that is a good idea but how about something for STH that bring/or want to bring thier kids?
I own The Grey Cup! .com
O'Shea

I see a number of great ideas being bounced around to retain the current fan base here.

I might take some heat on this, but what I fail to see from the Lions' marketing team are any notable campaigns aimed at increasing their "core" fan base by expanding their current target demographic.

Speaking as someone who doesn't quite fit the current target demo... why aren't the Lions trying to market themselves to a wider audience? I actually recall Vancouver hosting Grey Cup '99 and I had heard nothing of the event until a week or two before game day? It came as a shock to me and I remember having a few conversations about the lack of spin. I am hard pressed to think of a year when I didn't know about an upcoming Super Bowl!

I dare say the NFL does a much better job of packaging and selling their product to the masses, ever expanding their brand and fan base. Sadly, I know more about NFL teams and their "poster boys" than any CFL team, save for a few odd players. Is this merely symptomatic of being constantly inundated with media and US programming or is it due to a larger problem with the CFL in general and not just our beloved Leos?

Some argue the CFL offers up a better game than our rich cousins to the south, I will neither support nor deny this view here (there's a thread on this site for such a debate I'm sure). However, if we were to go on sheer Marketing and Promotion savvy alone... I can't see how we can compete with the mighty marketing machine of the NFL. Honestly, it really is a thing of beauty if viewed from a marketing standpoint - brilliantly outshining any promo the CFL puts out there.

Wouldn't it be great to see that same strategy, creativity and fire injected into the veins of the CFL and the BC Lions Marketing/Promo team?

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see BC Place and all stadiums across Canada filled to capacity for each CFL offering every season?

Wouldn't it be gratifying to see our best talent stay in Canada and play for a league that is known for having heart and instead of deep pockets alone?

Ah yes I know.... WAKE UP and smell the stale aroma of another BCP hotdog.... it might not happen... but it is nice to dream! 8)

~Shea~
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The biggest difference: The US media.

Everytime Owens or someone that has some semblance of success, goes are far as to walk when they're supposed to be running in practise, the whole world knows about it. If the Canadian media was that fanatical, we'd know about every single detail.

I think GC 99 lacked the organization that PotP had. Not to mention, a little something called the Canucks. Why do I bring them into this discussion?

1)When the Lions were awarded GC 99, the NHL wasn't embroiled in some drawn out labour war. The announcement that Vancouver had been awarded GC 2K5, the NHL was in the middle of a work stoppage, giving organizers an opportunity to get the word out and get people excited about it.

2)Dennis Skulsky, David Braley, Scott Ackles & Bobby Ackles
Chairman of GC 2K5, BC Lions Governor, GM GC 2K5, President/CEO BC Lions
These 4 played a huge role in making GC 2K5/Party on the Pacific a monsterous success. Sure, there were others, but when people think PotP/GC 2K5, they'll think Ackles and Braley.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:It still sticks in my craw at how poorly the WDF was promoted.
There doesn't seem to be much improvement for this year's WDF.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

If the Canadian media was that fanatical, we'd know about every single detail.
They are and we do, it's just that it's hockey we have to listen about ad nauseum. :sigh:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

D wrote:
They also need to come up with a discounted youth season ticket .... I know they send coupons out with report cards and that is a good idea but how about something for STH that bring/or want to bring thier kids?
Or if youth want to buy a Season Ticket *cough cough me cough cough*

Amen D, Amen.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I still remember the Lions? campaign themes in a lot of those seasons:

1984: Going for more.
1987: Excitement ?87.
1988: We Mean Business (featuring the tune ?We Mean Business, we?re not fooling around!").
1989: Good Time Football, Vancouver?s Lionhearted again (featuring some players giving out a synthesized and amplified ?ROAR?).
1990: Team Up with BC?s team. BC Lions Fast Break Football.
1991: Power! (featuring that chant and tune ?LIONS?.oh uh oh oh?.POWER!?).
1992: Thunder and Lightning (?We?ll provide the lightning and you provide the thunder.?).
1993: Roaring Back.
1994: 40 Years of Pride.
1999: Come back to football.
For the previous seasons after they won the Grey Cup: the 1986, 1995, and 2001 seasons, their slogan was simply "Grey Cup Champions". Let's see if it will be any different for the 2007 season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

And what's wrong with Grey Cup Champions ? Has a nice ring to it me thinks. If the Canucks are fortunate enough to win Lord Stanley's mug you can pretty well guarantee the Stanley Cup will be front and center in their advertising.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There's nothing wrong with Grey Cup Champions when it is used for the first few times after a championship season. But after a while, it can become generic and cliched. How about an alternate slogan for the season after the Grey Cup that acknowledges the previous win but also sets the goal for the upcoming season?

"Going for a repeat"
"Defending their championship"
"Aiming for another"
rickhale
Starter

How about ....... WE WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockin: :bc:
Pretty girls make us buy beer.
Ugly girls make us drink beer.
Al Bundy 1988
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Nothing wrong with Grey Cup Champions, as far as I am concerned! :rockin: Until recently, Esksfans had 2005 Grey Cup Champions on their front page. If you've earned it, use it!
Real women wear orange!!
Shelion
Champion

CatsEyes wrote:Nothing wrong with Grey Cup Champions, as far as I am concerned! :rockin: If you've earned it, use it!
:wss:
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

"You want it, come try and take it" 8)
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:"You want it, come try and take it" 8)
I like that ! :thup:

How about Let's make more NOISE !
David
Team Captain

Actually, my slogan for the team this year is:

"Defending Our Turf"

It's bold, slightly agressive (something we want in our football team), befits a Grey Cup Champion, and also implies that we're tough to beat at home...which we are. :thup:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar