2006 Season Summary

Need some help with the site? or Forum?
Ask Here! Got an idea or suggestion for Lionbackers.com, Tell us about it!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hi Derek,

I noticed that in the year-by-year history section on this site, you added the 2006 season standings and the playoff results. But there is no 2006 season summary yet. The http://www.bclions.com web page doesn't have a 2006 season summary yet either, but Wikipedia does. If you want, you can copy the detailed Wikipedia article as the 2006 season summary if you think it's good.

Taken from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.C._Lions

-----
The 2006 season saw Casey Printers go off to the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs, however a new quarterback controversy of sorts threatened to develop. During the off-season 2005's third stringer, Buck Pierce won the back-up role and early season injuries to Dave Dickenson forced him into action. Pierce's best game as the starter was on October 6 against the Calgary Stampeders, where he threw 25 for 31 for 297 yards, 1 touchdown, and 1 interception. He began the game with one incomplete pass, and then hit his next 14. The Lions in the off-season also acquired former Roughrider Paul McCallum to stabilize the kicking game which had not recovered from Lui Passaglia's retirement in 2000. After a sluggish 2-3 start in 2006, Coach Buono signalled that no starting job was safe by releasing runningback Antonio Warren and defensive back Sam Young. The team responded by winning the next six games. New running back Joe Smith ran for over 100 yards in his first game. Brent Johnson, Barron Miles, and Mark Washington led a dominant defence, which itself saw 10 different defenders score touchdowns on turnovers. They also held opposition offences to 17 points or less on 6 occasions. Receiver Geroy Simon dominated opposing defensive backs not seen since Mervyn Fernandez in the 1980s. The Lions clinched first place on October 6, earning a third straight bye into the Western Final at home, and tied a team record with a 13-5 mark for the season. 50,084 (league best for 2006) saw BC crush the Roughriders 45-18 in the West final. Looking fully recovered from earlier concussions, Dickenson went 27 for 37 with 3 TDs and no INTs. Paris Jackson made two circus catches for TDs, Jason Claremont bulled his way to 98 yards on 6 catches, Joe Smith scored twice and ran for 116 yards, McCallum was 5 for 5 in field goals, and the BC defence dominated Saskatchewan all afternoon.

On November 19th, the BC Lions captured their first Grey Cup Championship since 2000 by defeating the Montreal Alouettes 25-14 at Canad Inns Stadium in Winnipeg. Dave Dickenson was named the Most Valuable Player of the game, while Paul McCallum was named the Most Valuable Canadian. In the post-game exuberence, the team snapped the Grey Cup off the lower base with the engraved names. The game is noted for kicker Paul McCallum going 6 for 6 in field goals, making him a purrfect 11 for 11 in post season. Coach Buono also platooned the three quarterbacks: Dickenson, Pierce and third-string Jarious Jackson.
D
Team Captain

sweet ....nice eye 8)
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm happy to see you've taken my suggestion, Derek! :thup:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I see you're revised the format in the history section. The 1990's summaries are all in one page instead of being split over two pages as it was previously.

In the 2000's section:
http://www.lionbackers.com/history/2000s.html

It looks like the summary for 2000 could have its paragraph format corrected. And I know that the 2006 summary was copied from Wikipedia at my suggestion. But there's a spelling error in that Clermont is incorrectly spelled Claremont.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Lions web page finally added a summary of their 2006 season. Taken from:

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=page&id=3158

In 2006, the BC Lions posted perhaps their greatest season in club history. Recording their club-record tying third consecutive first place finish in the West (13-5), the Lions were led by record-setting wide receiver Geroy Simon who captured the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Award. Brent Johnson (Defensive and Canadian), Aaron Hunt (Rookie) and Rob Murphy (Lineman) also received CFL honours in 2006. The Lions extended their streak to 10 consecutive years in the playoffs and recorded a fifth straight winning record. The 2006 season saw the Lions post a 7-game win streak and marked the rise of LB Javier Glatt into the starting lineup along with the addition of CFL All-Star Korey Banks. BC had 10 Western All-Stars including Simon who set a club record with 1,856 receiving yards and the BC defense allowed just 19.7 ppg. Despite a 2-3 start to the regular season, the Lions capped an incredible run in securing their fifth Grey Cup title by beating Montreal 25-14 in Winnipeg. QB Dave Dickenson (MOP) and K/P Paul McCallum (Top Canadian) led the way in the final. Dickenson passed for 184 yards while McCallum, who returned to the club this season after a 12-year absence, was purrfect on 6 field goal attempts in the drive to the 2006 Grey Cup.