2010 = No School?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Should Lower Mainland school be closed during the 2010 Olympics?

Yes!
23%
No.
77%

Total votes: 22
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:On that basis, maybe they should close schools during hockey or football nights in Vancouver.

How many of these events are going to draw 16K - 40K fans to the live events?
Opening and Closing Ceremonies, All Hockey Finals, you'll be surprised.
And since GM Place only seats about 18,600... how will it be any more congested for the Olympic hockey games than it is for Canucks games?
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Soundy wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:On that basis, maybe they should close schools during hockey or football nights in Vancouver.

And since GM Place only seats about 18,600... how will it be any more congested for the Olympic hockey games than it is for Canucks games?
i dunno lol
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:

Every suite will be SRO, combined with 18K, combined with the hordes of media that'll be there. GM Place will be as congested as it ever has, or will be.

95% of tickets to the "glamour events" will be gone before the public even gets their chance. National Sport Federations, other Olympic Committees, corporate sponsors, IOC, IIHF dignitaries and so on, will snap up those seats.

As for getting around, if you're smart, you'll walk or use transit. Or better yet, if you don't want to deal with the upcoming congestion, move to Cloverdale. The point is, every corner of the Lower Mainland will be gridlocked at some point, during 2010.

Explain something to me, a Richmond resident, failing to see how traffic congestion is going to effect me, especially with the long track oval, pretty much on the Canada Line with a stop no more than 200 ft away. Common logic says that if you have tickets to an morning session of long track and evening tickets to curling, followed by taking in the medal presentations, wouldn't make sense to use the Canada Line to get from Richmond to Nat Bailey and onto downtown?

If you're along the Upper Levels or live near a tourist attraction, then yes, traffic congestion will be an issue. In this case, I recommed walking. It won't kill anyone to walk 15 blocks up or down a hill to get to Lonsdale or wherever you're going.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Actually, didn't seem to be too much of a problem that one night we were there for the Lions game and the Canucks/Avs game was going on right next door, too.... 18,000+ for the Canucks and something like 27,000 for the Lions...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Soundy wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Every suite will be SRO, combined with 18K, combined with the hordes of media that'll be there. GM Place will be as congested as it ever has, or will be.

95% of tickets to the "glamour events" will be gone before the public even gets their chance. National Sport Federations, other Olympic Committees, corporate sponsors, IOC, IIHF dignitaries and so on, will snap up those seats.

As for getting around, if you're smart, you'll walk or use transit. Or better yet, if you don't want to deal with the upcoming congestion, move to Cloverdale. The point is, every corner of the Lower Mainland will be gridlocked at some point, during 2010.

Explain something to me, a Richmond resident, failing to see how traffic congestion is going to effect me, especially with the long track oval, pretty much on the Canada Line with a stop no more than 200 ft away. Common logic says that if you have tickets to an morning session of long track and evening tickets to curling, followed by taking in the medal presentations, wouldn't make sense to use the Canada Line to get from Richmond to Nat Bailey and onto downtown?

If you're along the Upper Levels or live near a tourist attraction, then yes, traffic congestion will be an issue. In this case, I recommed walking. It won't kill anyone to walk 15 blocks up or down a hill to get to Lonsdale or wherever you're going.
Volunteer for the games, and you (well you do have to spend 16 days at the olympics) get tix to whatever event they need your help in, or whatever event they'll let you volunteer for.

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

You'll have a better chance of making the 2010 ski jumping team than to become a volunteer.

Come to think of it, I think my gf might be getting 2 all access passes........... :rockin:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:Come to think of it, I think my gf might be getting 2 all access passes........... :rockin:
how? what? does she have a friend with all access passes? info please info! :lol:

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:Come to think of it, I think my gf might be getting 2 all access passes........... :rockin:
how? what? does she have a friend with all access passes? info please info! :lol:
She works for Intrawest, parent company of Whistler/Blackcomb, co-host of the 2010 Games. She does some work for VANOC as well.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
She works for Intrawest, parent company of Whistler/Blackcomb, co-host of the 2010 Games. She does some work for VANOC as well.
My mom knows about a million people( :lol: ) who have suites at GM place, and give us free tix to their suite sometimes, and she's expecting some tix for some of the Hockey games from them....and my dad has a way because of his job to give them free publicity for tickets. :wink:

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
My mom knows about a million people( :lol: ) who have suites at GM place, and give us free tix to their suite sometimes, and she's expecting some tix for some of the Hockey games from them....and my dad has a way because of his job to give them free publicity for tickets. :wink:
My friend and his dad own 1 suite each at GM Place, and have already been notified, in writing, that they have first call on those suites.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:
Canuck_4_Life wrote:
My friend and his dad own 1 suite each at GM Place, and have already been notified, in writing, that they have first call on those suites.
Do Canuck season ticket holders get first dibs on their seats?

CB123
Legend

Do Canuck season ticket holders get first dibs on their seats?
lol I doubt 1st dibs, but probably a chance before the public.

And to all of you who don?t want your kids out of school cuz they wont get to go to any events, Im sure there is gonna be A LOT of stuff going on in the city for kids to experience such a huge international event. I also think that the traffic argument is just a side thing to give them more ammo, I bet the main idea is to get kids involved in the Olympic spirit, team Canada and just sports all together.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Do Canuck season ticket holders get first dibs on their seats?
I believe they own those two suites. They had first shot during the World Junior Tournament, something not run by the Canucks or Orca Bay.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Do Canuck season ticket holders get first dibs on their seats?
I believe they own those two suites. They had first shot during the World Junior Tournament, something not run by the Canucks or Orca Bay.
No, I mean like Canucks Season Ticket holders, like ones in Sec i dunno 116 row 2 seat 3? :wink:

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

That would probably be up to VANOC.