2006 Canadian Federal Election - who will you vote for?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

2006 Canadian Federal Election - who will you vote for?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Paul Martin, Liberal Party of Canada
33%
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party of Canada
48%
Jack Layton, New Democratic Party of Canada
11%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois
No votes
Jim Harris, Green Party of Canada
7%

Total votes: 27
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:
hutch wrote:I really don't see how anyone could still vote Liberal!!?
When I see the occasional Liberal lawn sign, I have this overwhelming urge to knock on the door of the home in question and ask them politely, "are you aware that THEY STOLE YOUR MONEY?"

I'm not too worried, however -- I know many long time Liberals who are not voting Liberal this time around. Even they believe their party needs to be punished, and needs time in opposition to renew itself. I think these guys are going to be sent to their rooms for a pretty lengthy "time out" tonight...
I wish that to be the case Lionut. But the Liberals have stroked the bread and butter of politics locations, by giving Ontario what it wants when it wants, if I am sitting in Ontario, I like the way that has been going my way.

I saw a recent report suggesting that the Conservatives will gain 144 seats, sadly not enough for a majority. Also a mnority government has never lasted a complete term in Canada, so expect to be doing this all over again, unless Ontario figures out the big picture.

C4L, the Bloc is going to gain even more seats in Quebec, not less.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CB123
Legend

C4L, the Bloc is going to gain even more seats in Quebec, not less.
Yeah they were talking on the news that the Bloc could end up being the Official Opposition. Sure I hate the Liberals, but I hate the Bloc even more, so I hope the Liberals get Opposition status. lol but what a blow that would be to the Liberals, they go from Government to not even official opposition.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Lionut
Hall of Famer

If the Conservatives have a seat total in the mid-140s, it will be a de facto majority for at least two and a half years. There are a number of reasons why, chief amongst them being the fact that the Liberal Party is going to be broke, badly divided, and in need of at least two, probably three years of re-tooling before they are ready to fight another election. (The Liberals may emerge from this election $8 million in debt, a crippling number under the new, stricter party fundraising rules.) Harper can basically do what he wants for the first two years and be pretty certain that the Liberals would keep enough MPs away to prevent an election.

The Bloc will also be in no hurry to bring down a government. Instead of facing a tired, scandal-ridden Paul Martin, the next federal election will feature Harper as the face of federalism in Quebec, and he has proven to be surprisingly marketable in that province. The Bloc will have nowhere to go but down, so it is in their interests to keep this Parliament going. Ditto for Jack Layton, who will probably make gains tonight and will want some time to consolidate them.

In the last Parliament, none of the opposition parties had a reason to keep the Liberals in office. This time, all three opposition parties will have an interest in staying away from the polls for at least a decent period of time.

As for the Bloc getting more seats this time than last, we'll see. The Conservatives have been coming on strong, and the Bloc vote is fading in these last couple of weeks. Quebec is the real wild card tonight in terms of how far the Bloc vote may have fallen, and what the Conservative-Bloc-Liberal three way split will mean in terms of seats. If the Conservatives can actually turn their Quebec surge into seats, then you'll see a majority government.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
MacNews
Team Captain

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Just got back from the Harper rally in Surrey, and now I really want him to get a Conservative Majority! That is as long as Cindy Silver gets in! Right Mack? :yes:
That was a great rally!

Cindy will get in.

Harper will get in.

The only question is whether Harper can get 155 seats.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

MacNews wrote:
Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Just got back from the Harper rally in Surrey, and now I really want him to get a Conservative Majority! That is as long as Cindy Silver gets in! Right Mack? :yes:
That was a great rally!

Cindy will get in.

Harper will get in.

Dont doubt it Mackenzie, believe in it, believe!!! Harper WILL get 155 seats! :yahoo: :toss: :towel:
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I voted for
Anyone
But
Harper
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
That was a great rally!

Cindy will get in.

Harper will get in.

Your three points:
No
Yes
No

It was actually the Conservatives that broke some BQ support in Quebec and not Quebecors turning on the Bloc.

I'm somewhat relieved that any sort of temporary Liberal-NDP alliance can topple the government, however, I believe should Harper try and push the notwithstanding clause to ban same-sex marriages, the government will probably fall.
CB123
Legend

however, I believe should Harper try and push the notwithstanding clause to ban same-sex marriages, the government will probably fall.
But that vote wouldn?t be considered a Confidence vote? So even if they lost, the Government would stay in power. I think practically the only vote that has to do with Confidence is a Budget Bill, or like the last gov't, a straight vote of Non-Confidence. Im not positive on this, but Im pretty sure thats how it goes...
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Well, Mack and my candidate Cindy Silver lost, and dang it its a shame even though the Conservatives are in power. I think I speak on behalf of most canadians by saying that all candidates (except the Liberal guy in Abby) ran a good campaign across Canada, and deserve a round of applause! :)
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Simon Says
Starter

CB123 wrote:
however, I believe should Harper try and push the notwithstanding clause to ban same-sex marriages, the government will probably fall.
But that vote wouldn?t be considered a Confidence vote? So even if they lost, the Government would stay in power. I think practically the only vote that has to do with Confidence is a Budget Bill, or like the last gov't, a straight vote of Non-Confidence. Im not positive on this, but Im pretty sure thats how it goes...
An important vote can also imply a vote of confidence. However, if the above were to happen which I doubt he'd do, all the other parties would form togetehr and topple it just like last time.
Simon <------ What dbs see all night long
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

CB123 wrote:
Minority governments can be toppled with a non-confidence voted that can be tied to legislation, ie using the notwithstanding clause to strike down the Civil Marriage Act, or like you mentioned, a straight non-confidence vote.
hutch
Champion

So long Martin!!! Don't let the door hit you on your way out! :lol: :lol: :lol: Crook
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

hutch wrote:So long Martin!!! Don't let the door hit you on your way out! :lol: :lol: :lol: Crook
well, it seems there was a number of crooked actions by a number of liberals, but is there any evidence\proof that Martin himself did anything crooked, or knew of anything crooked and looked the other way??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
hutch
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
hutch wrote:So long Martin!!! Don't let the door hit you on your way out! :lol: :lol: :lol: Crook
well, it seems there was a number of crooked actions by a number of liberals, but is there any evidence\proof that Martin himself did anything crooked, or knew of anything crooked and looked the other way??
Canada Steamship Lines..
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

hutch wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Canada Steamship Lines..
what about it??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back