seems to me there is an unfairness afoot

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If everytime they going to build a new bridge, or upgrade an old one, we have to pay a toll to cover the cost, then how come no toll on the sea to sky highway? Why should the users of that road get a free ride while the rest of us dont.

And before anyone mentions that the alex fraser and massy tunnel are still free, do ya have any idea the nightmare all the extra traffic is going to be for north delta. Its already pretty bad because of Surreys irresponsible population explosion.

I think the fair solution is to spread the cost out. Have lower tolls on all bridges and tunnel across the river as well as the sea to sky.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:If everytime they going to build a new bridge, or upgrade an old one, we have to pay a toll to cover the cost, then how come no toll on the sea to sky highway? Why should the users of that road get a free ride while the rest of us dont.

And before anyone mentions that the alex fraser and massy tunnel are still free, do ya have any idea the nightmare all the extra traffic is going to be for north delta. Its already pretty bad because of Surreys irresponsible population explosion.

I think the fair solution is to spread the cost out. Have lower tolls on all bridges and tunnel across the river as well as the sea to sky.
The best part about living in a free country is that you are free to travel where-ever you like and on which-ever road you choose. Just because people use the Sea to Sky and you don't doesn't make it any less "yours". Go drive on it; it's free!! You want to drive on a toll road? Pay the toll. It's the same fee for everyone that uses it.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:If everytime they going to build a new bridge, or upgrade an old one, we have to pay a toll to cover the cost, then how come no toll on the sea to sky highway? Why should the users of that road get a free ride while the rest of us dont.

The best part about living in a free country is that you are free to travel where-ever you like and on which-ever road you choose. Just because people use the Sea to Sky and you don't doesn't make it any less "yours". Go drive on it; it's free!! You want to drive on a toll road? Pay the toll. It's the same fee for everyone that uses it.
thats not a good argument. Some people use the sea to sky to go to work every day, while others have to use the bridges or tunnel to do so. Everyone should be treated the same. I
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Do you use the hospital? Have you used it before? I visit my doctor and dentist regulary, however my employment benefits cover those costs, even though I am subject to paying for a "Care Card"

I haven't been inside a hospital since moving here some 11 years ago, yet I pay for it.

I pay school tax too, yet we have no children. I also pay GST (or did) yet receive no GST rebate cheque.

Those are 3 examples that I have no choice in the matter. People will pay the toll for convenience, not because they are subject to it, LionGuy makes a very valid point....if you don't want to pay, then don't use it. Same way I try and avoid downtown at rush hour....because I don't want to sit in my car and wait.

Is it unfair? I don't think so.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Do you use the hospital? Have you used it before? I visit my doctor and dentist regulary, however my employment benefits cover those costs, even though I am subject to paying for a "Care Card"

I haven't been inside a hospital since moving here some 11 years ago, yet I pay for it.

I pay school tax too, yet we have no children. I also pay GST (or did) yet receive no GST rebate cheque.

Those are 3 examples that I have no choice in the matter. People will pay the toll for convenience, not because they are subject to it, LionGuy makes a very valid point....if you don't want to pay, then don't use it. Same way I try and avoid downtown at rush hour....because I don't want to sit in my car and wait.

Is it unfair? I don't think so.
You guys miss the point. They upgrade the highway, they upgrade the bridges. They will put tolls on the bridges, they put no toll on the highway. This is a double standard.

People have to cross the river. Many people will avoid paying by putting extra traffic on the already overburdened tunnel and alex fraser bridge during rush hour traffic.
donefron
Starter

And then when they replace the Patullo they'll toll that one too, you'll have to pay to get out of Surrey every way you go!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

What's irresponsible about population growth in Surrey? Are there 10,000 empty lots in Vancouver that we don't know about?

As somebody else mentioned: I also pay school tax and didn't have any kids and don't have any issues with having to pay that tax.

I also pay mass transit tax as part of my gas cost. Seems somewhat ironic that people in cars and trucks are paying for a service they aren't the primary users. I've only been on Sky Train twice in 24 years and haven't been on a city bus in 30 years.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

We pay our taxes. Property taxes are insane. There should be no tolls.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:What's irresponsible about population growth in Surrey? Are there 10,000 empty lots in Vancouver that we don't know about?

As somebody else mentioned: I also pay school tax and didn't have any kids and don't have any issues with having to pay that tax.

I also pay mass transit tax as part of my gas cost. Seems somewhat ironic that people in cars and trucks are paying for a service they aren't the primary users. I've only been on Sky Train twice in 24 years and haven't been on a city bus in 30 years.
have you read about the surrey overcrowded school problems due to lack of responsible planning. They have given building permits like crazy without taking care of infrastructure. Traffic here is insane, even in the middle of the day. Soon water will become a big issue.

Canada is a big place. Let new people go elsewhere where its less crowded. If we do not build it, they will not come.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with my point re comparing the highway upgrade situation to the bridges.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:What's irresponsible about population growth in Surrey? Are there 10,000 empty lots in Vancouver that we don't know about?

have you read about the surrey overcrowded school problems due to lack of responsible planning. They have given building permits like crazy without taking care of infrastructure. Traffic here is insane, even in the middle of the day. Soon water will become a big issue.

Canada is a big place. Let new people go elsewhere where its less crowded. If we do not build it, they will not come.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with my point re comparing the highway upgrade situation to the bridges.
Your comment was about fairness.

Yes. Canada is a big place.

There is a reason people live in big cities and 90% of the population of Canada lives within something like 30 miles of the USA border.

Nothing is stopping you from moving to a small town if you don't like the over population in Surrey.

Surrey is not the only city with infrastructure issues or traffic issues.

Seriously. Have you tried driving to downtown Vancouver lately?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Canada is also a place where all people ("new people" included) have the freedom to go where they want. But you are correct in saying the city needs to take infrastructure into consideration when issuing building permits.

The reason you don't have a toll on the Sea to Sky is because the expansion of that highway will be forever linked to the Olympics and the current government does not want a toll to be part of their olympic legacy, considering the amount of controversy olympic spending generated. The reality is that road should have been expanded 15 years ago and would it would have been completely logical to put a toll on it considering that a huge percentage of users would be traveling on it for pleasure.

People hate tolls because they are "in your face" (just like GST). But the alternative is to instead raise taxes on fuel, property, etc. to pay for infrastructure so then people can commute back and forth over these bridges while deluding themselves that they are not actually paying for the privilege. Or you can choose to go around these bridges, spending as much or more on fuel, plus wear and tear, plus your time, and feel like you are somehow saving money. Either way you are not.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

No, people hate tolls because they represent the offloading of tax responsibility from corporations to the common folk.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

as a side to this, be carefull who you let drive your car, ya might not know where they going. Take dad who lets his 3 kids use his car, and he gets a bill for over 20 trips that no one owns up for.