Cell phone companies

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

pacific
All Star

I'm looking to ditch my current provider Virgin mobile. Anyone have any suggestions for a new phone company?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Well, I can't say they've been purrfect, but we've been with Telus for something like 16 years (since it was BC Tel Mobility), and they've generally done alright by us. Got a great plan right now: $45/mo. gets me 450 anytime minutes, free evenings and weekends starting at 5pm, and unlimited talk/text to my 10 Faves anywhere in Canada... plus for an extra $15, I get *unlimited* data on my smartphone.

I've looked at other companies and plans now and then (particularly when Telus has pissed me off in one way or another) and generally found that for any positive I find, there an equal negative, such that there's not been anything SUBSTANTIALLY better than what I've got.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Personally, outside the the actual calling plans which are all overpriced, I would opt for two things. A company that uses the GSM network and a SIM phone than can be unlocked. That largely means Rogers or Fido but if you do any kind of travelling, it can be worth it. You can buy a local Pay and Talk SIM card in most countries and get local calling rates. Secondly, if your phone breaks or you find something down the road you like more, you can simply swap the SIM card into that and away you go.
No phone company required. Apple has just announced as well that they are going to start selling unlocked "Iphones" in Canada buy the way.
If you don't do much phoning, pay and talk may be the way to go. You can add $$$ via your home computer and pay for what you use until you have to add more (sometimes, there are limits to how long you can keep purchased minutes). It is all a matter of need and use.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.