So. Where's my money??

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ok, we suffered through cut after cut that never should have been made, as well as greatly increased debt, in order to host the Olympics which was supposed to make us money. Where the hell is it. I haven't got any of it. Apparently the govt hasn't got any of it since they need to make even more cuts now. So who got it? Whistler merchants? Robson merchants and Vancouver hospitality industry maybe? Who else? Certainly not 90% of British Columbians. All we got is debt and cuts.

Are our taxes going to go down? Will health and welfare and education now get back all the money that was taken along with the extra that is needed. Surely this is why we had the Olympics, so BC govt(people) would make enough money to pay for these things. Surely the new cuts re school playground equiptment is just a temporary set back. Surely the Govt after tallying things up by next budget will say Eureka, we are rich, lets go buy some playground equiptment. Somehow I dont think so.

So we got some venues. Who is going to use them? NOt me. Not most British Columbians. So it seems, all the govt did was redistribute BC wealth from the majority to a minority while even sending some out of the country. The rest of us are left holding the bag. Like a lottery where the Govt predecided most of the winners.

How long is it going to take us to finnish paying for the Olympics. How many more cuts. How long before new taxes are created and\or old ones are increase. How much of this debt are my children going to inherit. How much money did pukeface Campbell and his cronies make. Quite sure they all sitting comfortable sipping, no make that guipling, champagne by the bottle. Do all the cuts hurt them? Nope. Does the increase debt affect them or their families? Nope. Do they give a damn about the rest of us? Not a chance. They had their party, they made their money, and soon they will just dissappear into the sunset to enjoy their life of luxery leaving the rest of us to deal with the economic mess they made.

I know they did a great job of actually hosting the games. That was never my concern. It was always and still is about the economics before and after that set me so against the games being here.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:It was always and still is about the economics before and after that set me so against the games being here.
It's Reagan Economics. The "trickle down effect." :wink:

Big corporations make a ton of money. There might be a few crumbs that drop down for the poor and the small businesses. That is, unless their business is blocked by traffic detours and construction.

But the poor do get to participate fully later on. That is when the taxes on the poor and the working class are raised. Hey, the system has been in place for hundreds of years. Why change now?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I'll give you $20 to quit complaining.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:Ok, we suffered through cut after cut that never should have been made, as well as greatly increased debt, in order to host the Olympics which was supposed to make us money. Where the hell is it. I haven't got any of it. Apparently the govt hasn't got any of it since they need to make even more cuts now. So who got it? Whistler merchants? Robson merchants and Vancouver hospitality industry maybe? Who else? Certainly not 90% of British Columbians. All we got is debt and cuts.

Are our taxes going to go down? Will health and welfare and education now get back all the money that was taken along with the extra that is needed. Surely this is why we had the Olympics, so BC govt(people) would make enough money to pay for these things. Surely the new cuts re school playground equiptment is just a temporary set back. Surely the Govt after tallying things up by next budget will say Eureka, we are rich, lets go buy some playground equiptment. Somehow I dont think so.

So we got some venues. Who is going to use them? NOt me. Not most British Columbians. So it seems, all the govt did was redistribute BC wealth from the majority to a minority while even sending some out of the country. The rest of us are left holding the bag. Like a lottery where the Govt predecided most of the winners.

How long is it going to take us to finnish paying for the Olympics. How many more cuts. How long before new taxes are created and\or old ones are increase. How much of this debt are my children going to inherit. How much money did pukeface Campbell and his cronies make. Quite sure they all sitting comfortable sipping, no make that guipling, champagne by the bottle. Do all the cuts hurt them? Nope. Does the increase debt affect them or their families? Nope. Do they give a damn about the rest of us? Not a chance. They had their party, they made their money, and soon they will just dissappear into the sunset to enjoy their life of luxery leaving the rest of us to deal with the economic mess they made.

I know they did a great job of actually hosting the games. That was never my concern. It was always and still is about the economics before and after that set me so against the games being here.
So what should we have done with all that money? Spend it on the homeless? I'm not homeless what good would that do me? The majority of British Columbians aren't homeless so it wouldn't help them.

If you want to sound the least bit credible I would hold off on the grade 3 "pukeface" comments. Seriously, and I didn't vote Liberal.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

The Olympics created 1,000's of man years of employment in construction that wouldn't have happened otherwise. It created employment and revenues for tourism in record numbers.

It brought the world to our city and much like Expo 86 it will have long lasting benefits. Countries and people are already booking Trade shows and hotels to return.

Based on the huge crowds at every venue and all throughout the city every day, it doesn't seem like any of those folks have much complaint.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Where's your money?

Take the money you saved on not going to Lions games, put it in the candy bowl and call it your Olympic payback. :roar:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Much expressive head shaking.

Who is going to use the venue's? Why don't you ask Calgarians that? Seems to me that the venues are still going strong and in fact their sliding centre just got a facelift I believe. Teams train there all the time and not just from this country, from all over the world. And what about the jobs people have running and maintaining those facilities? Those are everyday folks, the people as you might call them. I'm sure they don't lament the fact that the facilities were built for the Olympics.

How bout that Squamish Hwy? Planning on driving it at any point? How many more years might it have taken to be completed if not for the Olympics and at how much greater cost (inflation and such)

And didn't Health get yet another increase in this last budget albeit a smallish one. Not the contraction you seem to imply.

Yes the Olympics are an expensive proposition for but for a variety of reasons, they will keep generating income for years to come. Compare that with some other Government spending in the past, (cough Fast Ferries) that cost oodles of money and leave exactly nothing to show for it except monumental stupidity. If you want to pick apart government spending there are far better targets than the Olympics.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Did the federal government not pay for Canada Line? (or a majority of it)
bclions16
Champion

Canada and BC are about as successful as it gets in terms of civilization to this point. Yet every politician is a crook and every decision is the wrong one. Funny that.

My point is that no government success is going to result in tangible instant gratification or you getting a cheque. If you were to make a pro vs con list for the Olympics, it would be a couple of very full columns. We might not know for a long time, if ever, whether the games were a good thing for BC, probably because there isn't a way to measure it.

You really need to give us something with more meat to consider than your complaint-based arguments so far.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From a purely selfish point of view: Hey, wasn't that a party? For 17 days. Amazing.

Loved the crowds by Robson Square and all the venues down town. Loved the competitions.

Loved the Canadian gold medals.

Loved the feeling of pride in country.

Loved hosting the world in a mostly feel-good mega event.

Not crazy about Vancouver being so exposed as a great place to live and visit. Our little city is not a secret anymore. Not since Expo. Certainly not now. Top rated city in which to live year after year.

So we get some bad with the good. As bclions16 says, one could write a long list of pros and cons.

But as to the Olympics: Hey, wasn't that a party?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

It was far far greater than I or anyone could imagine. From what I hear, these Olympics set a new standard. In an interview Sedin stated that in comparison to Italy this was so much bigger and better it was like a different event. :beer:
The_Pauser
Legend

I'm very happy that we got the Olympics, and what an amazing party it was. I'm still feeling the post-olympic hangover of depression since the games. So many great memories were made...my girlfriend and I became official just days before the Olympics so there are so many personal sentimental memories from the games. I have zero regrets and zero complaints.
Roar you Lions roar!
bclions16
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:I'm very happy that we got the Olympics, and what an amazing party it was. I'm still feeling the post-olympic hangover of depression since the games. So many great memories were made...my girlfriend and I became official just days before the Olympics so there are so many personal sentimental memories from the games. I have zero regrets and zero complaints.
And the Gold Medal of Love... goes to The Pauser!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████