A simply awesome start. Bravo

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Nikki's rendition ... I liked it.

If it is not jazzed up, I find it rather cliche.
But as an anthem, IMO, it should not be subject to "jazzing up" or different interpretations. It's not Nikki's national anthem. It's Canada's. Sing it the way it was wrote! :roar:
Real women wear orange!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:

But as an anthem, IMO, it should not be subject to "jazzing up" or different interpretations. It's not Nikki's national anthem. It's Canada's. Sing it the way it was wrote! :roar:
Then she would have had to sing the whole thing in French. Or at least an English translation of it:

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:My only complaint is the way our national anthem was sung. Why is it performers feel a need to alter the way the anthem is sung. It was one of the most prolong painful version I've ever heard.
This American Idol version sickens my stomach, I was embarrassed by what that girl did to our National Anthem.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
CatsEyes wrote:

Then she would have had to sing the whole thing in French. Or at least an English translation of it:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the way the music was written.
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:

:wss:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:My only complaint is the way our national anthem was sung. Why is it performers feel a need to alter the way the anthem is sung. It was one of the most prolong painful version I've ever heard.
This American Idol version sickens my stomach, I was embarrassed by what VANOC did to our National Anthem.
Fixed it for ya. The girl did was she was told to do.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Solar Max wrote:
This American Idol version sickens my stomach, I was embarrassed by what VANOC did to our National Anthem.
Then she shouldn't have done it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:
Solar Max wrote:This American Idol version sickens my stomach, I was embarrassed by what VANOC did to our National Anthem.
Then she shouldn't have done it.
So a young aspiring singer is going to turn down the chance to sing at the Olympics with the world watching. There'll be plenty more opportunities for that I'm sure. If she didn't, someone else would have.

Not saying I was crazy about her version of the anthem, but as CFL fans we've seen far worse renditions. Remember the LV lounge singer from 1994?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Not saying I was crazy about her version of the anthem, but as CFL fans we've seen far worse renditions. Remember the LV lounge singer from 1994?
LOL. That guy didn't know the words. Even worse he didn't know the melody. He ended up trying to use the melody of God Save the Queen.

IMO the best national anthem in the world is The Marseillaise. As sung by Mireille Mathieu. The best I've heard the Star Spangled Banner sung is by Whitney Houston pre Super Bowl. It's the only time I have enjoyed her singing, which to me is usually just shouting. Many national anthems are beautiful, including O Canada. If you like anthems, sung with passion, give these two a listen.

As I indicated, I liked how Nikki Yanofsky sang O Canada.

Was leaving Granville Island Monday night, and a street bum with his life's possessions in a shopping cart was singing O Canada. Sounded pretty good too.

Yea, Canada. Best country in the world. Lucky to be born here. Puts my hand over my heart. :thup:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Me too Frank....me too
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008