Outliers

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

From the ever interesting perspective of Malcolm Gladwell this tidbit was gleaned....
Gladwell explains why the relative-age effect (a compounding of some initial advantage over time), explains why a disproportionate number of elite Canadian hockey players were born in the first half of the year (popularizing the research of a Canadian psychologist). Because Canada’s eligibility cutoff for junior hockey is January 1, Gladwell writes, “a boy who turns 10 on January 2, then, could be playing alongside someone who doesn’t turn 10 until the end of the year.” Since the differences in physical maturity are so great at that age, this initial advantage in when one starts playing competitive hockey helps explain which kid will make the league all-star team. And similarly, by making the all-star team earlier, the January 2 kid gets another leg up in more practice, better coaching, tougher competition, that compound that difference. Gladwell says it explains why by age 14, the January 2 birthday kid (who is only a couple days older than the December 30) kid is so much better at hockey. Gladwell says the solution is doubling the number of junior hockey leagues—some for kids born in the first half of the year, others for kids born in the second half. Or, as it applies to elementary schools, Gladwell believes that elementary and middle schools should put group students in three classes (January-April birthdays, May-August birthdays, and September-December birthdays) to “level the playing field.”
This is interesting, given that I quickly went through a couple of my daughters more elite teams members and have to suggest that most of the kids that carry the teams are born early in the year, most January and February.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

One of the little Tightheads was born in very late December (not this year). She was overdue, but once Jan 1 was in sight, I was thinking of this info and hoping Mrs. Tighthead would hold on.
sixbeamers
Rookie

This same phenomenon was noted in Home Game: Hockey Life in Canada, co-authored by Roy Macgregor and Ken Dryden, the former Montreal Canadiens goaltender turned politician. Home Game was published in 1989, many years before Gladwell co-opted the idea for his book.
Rammer
Team Captain

sixbeamers wrote:This same phenomenon was noted in Home Game: Hockey Life in Canada, co-authored by Roy Macgregor and Ken Dryden, the former Montreal Canadiens goaltender turned politician. Home Game was published in 1989, many years before Gladwell co-opted the idea for his book.
Thanks Jim, I am sure it isn't new as I also noticed this in the early 70's. Hockey I player against same grade level kids, baseball season I became the "February" baby being born in the second month (Sept- Aug) cutoff dates. Also the academic system does notice it as well, as my youngest daughter wasn't going to be allowed to attend a K/1 split class, based on her being born in August.

Is Gladwell's concept of splitting up the grade levels into two groups his own though? I believe that is an interesting solution to this situation.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Bosco
Team Captain

Born at the end of December, my youngest son has always been at the tail end of the sports age group. This year, he'll be playing baseball with kids who can be 23+ months older then he is, but fall into the same bantam aged group (January 95 - December 96).

That, can be a huge difference.
Tighthead
Legend

Bosco wrote:Born at the end of December, my youngest son has always been at the tail end of the sports age group. This year, he'll be playing baseball with kids who can be 23+ months older then he is, but fall into the same bantam aged group (January 95 - December 96).

I remember being 16 with peach fuzz and playing baseball against 18 year olds. Some guy 6-4, 200, with a wad of chew and a pretty good beard had loads of intimidation factor. I wanted to hand over my lunch money when I got in the batters box.

My eldest is the youngest on her soccer team (2 year cohort) but is holding her own quite well. A two year grouping sure makes for some massive differences though. For some of the younger kids it seems like a lost year.
Bosco
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
Bosco wrote:Born at the end of December, my youngest son has always been at the tail end of the sports age group. This year, he'll be playing baseball with kids who can be 23+ months older then he is, but fall into the same bantam aged group (January 95 - December 96).

I remember being 16 with peach fuzz and playing baseball against 18 year olds. Some guy 6-4, 200, with a wad of chew and a pretty good beard had loads of intimidation factor. I wanted to hand over my lunch money when I got in the batters box.

My eldest is the youngest on her soccer team (2 year cohort) but is holding her own quite well. A two year grouping sure makes for some massive differences though. For some of the younger kids it seems like a lost year.
At a Bantam tryout last week, my son looked at some of the tall and lanky kids that make up the Class of 95' and commented: "These kids look old enough to buy beer."