Will Lui light the torch?

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

If anyone in this town is qualified at setting things ablaze, it's Marc Emery.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:If anyone in this town is qualified at setting things ablaze, it's Marc Emery.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Robert Dziekanski's mother.
Ravi
Legend

A hologram of Terry Fox will do the deed tonight.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:A hologram of Terry Fox will do the deed tonight.
Source, or speculation?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Source, or speculation?
Had my fingers crossed that it would be Terry Fox, but alas had to see the Great One light the cauldron, what a step down for me. With the technology that was used by the Orca display spewing water, I really thought that it was going to be Terry Fox. Have to say that with the great colourful light show and the quick transitions, I enjoyed it right up until the Gretzky moment.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

Rammer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Source, or speculation?
Had my fingers crossed that it would be Terry Fox, but alas had to see the Great One light the cauldron, what a step down for me. With the technology that was used by the Orca display spewing water, I really thought that it was going to be Terry Fox. Have to say that with the great colourful light show and the quick transitions, I enjoyed it right up until the Gretzky moment.
I thought the same thing with the impressive technological display that we saw at the opening ceremonies. Gretzky was definitely a let down but the overall show was quite good at least.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont get all this anti gretzky comments????
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess that people were expecting someone with a more local connection to the City and Province. Gretzky was an ok choice but, a Lui Passaglia, Rick Hansen or even a Karen Magnuson would have had a more direct connection with the people of this city and province being residents and significant figures in the world of sports. Gretzky on the other hand comes from Ontario, lives in the US is married to an American and has spent much of his hockey career both before and after playing in the US. It weakens his appeal to many.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.